Wheelsets - Weight limit???

wonduhboy

I was out on my normal club ride on saturdaysmileys/smiley1.gif, the day after I had my bike fully serviced. Everything was running pretty smooth, but after a while, things felt a little heavysmileys/smiley19.gif. Very soon after that, a fellow rider came up to me and said my rear wheel was bent/sku.smileys/smiley7.gif He was riding the same bike (Raleigh RC6000) and said that the stock wheels (shimano Wh550) are not made for big riders and come with a weight limit of 86kgs!!! (also being a big guy, he had replaced his)

I'm obviously heavier than that (100kgs+) and he said they cant handle the pressure on them (power etc.) and thats why they bend.

So my two questions:

1- what wheels would be able to suit a heavy guy like me (on a budget of about R2k)

2 - Why do shimano/raleigh not tell people about this before they buy the bike? (not as important as getting me a new set of wheels)

I bought a Scott with the same wheels and had the same problems. Before I bought the bike, I specifically asked if the wheels were OK for me (100kg) - I got an emphatic 'Ja, they're fine!'. After taking them back twice - the shop replaced them (at thier own cost) with some nice hand built 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs. Awesome solid wheels.

The shop owner had subsequently found out that the wheels do indeed have a weight limit and was taking it up with Shimano as to why this isnt stated anywhere easy to find.

He was also going to take it up with bike suppliers as to why these wheels are supplied with Large and Extra large frames. There are not too many people who would ride Large and Extra Large that are under 100kg...

I didnt follow up with the him as to what his findings/conclusions were, but I imagine that he is not supplying those wheels to us Clydesdales any more.

Thanks Splat.

Is this something I should take up with Raleigh themselves?

I've long since thrown away any receipts and the like for the bike - do you think I can take it back to them and try for a similar resolution?

Surely we cant be the only one's to have this happen???

BTW - How much did the new wheels go for?

I dont believe it raleighs problem but the shop that sold the bike to you, they should have known. I also suffered with the same thing on my Alec rims with scott hubs. I had Mavic Pro's built on 105 hubs, and have had no problems since. My new bike came with Mavic Equippes which i replaced with Easton Circuits (lighter and stronger) and being semi deeps, they look v good on a bike.

The best thing to do for bigger riders is a standard wheel build, built by a decent wheel builder who knows what he's doing. The best rim for the heavier rider is the Mavic CXP 33, reasonably light but bloody strong. Then normal DT Swiss Competition spokes all this built onto a Shimano 105 or Ultegra hub. If this is done properly it will be relatively light but will last you just about forever! And with this setup you could probably use a 32 spoke wheelset. Hope this helps

Prices +-

Mavic CXP 33 - R800 each

Hubs - R1000 for the set

Spokes - R300 for the set

Thanks Titus - sounds like an idea. Anyone know of a decent wheel biulder in Gauteng?

I'm still pretty peeved about the whole thing though - I think its crap that raleigh (or shimano) make no mention that these wheels wont suit everyone. Also, the shop should be responsible to tell you that the wheels just wont work, but, if there are no warnings/indications on the bike, who is to blame?

smileys/smiley4.gif

Scotty any chance you'll part with those Easton's (didn't think so)..........I like 'em very much and they do look good on a bike. I was gonna rob you that day we rode in the reserve.......why do U think I descended so fast.......was to hide away and ambush you .........

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Yeah, that is a right pickle. The Raleigh guys have specc'ed wheels that will improve the looks of a bike and they get them from Shimano real cheap seeing as they're machine built and all. Then the bike shops get them and assume that the manufacture're has specc'ed something decent without checking, and I bet the manufacture're expects the sales guys to do this after sales service. Everyone just assumes it's right and that's where the stuff up comes in.

and it's the consumer who loses out at the end of the daysmileys/smiley7.gif

I'm now stuck with wheels I cant use, and no one willing to claim responsibility for it.

Not true that guys riding L or XL frames will necessarily be over 100kgs.  I ride a L Giant and weigh in under 80kg.

About the wheels, at a hundred kg's no manufacturer will officially recommend their factory wheels.  The best solution is as suggested - a set of 3 cross 36/32 spoke wheels.  I would suggest 105/Ultegra/Chorus hubs (depending on preference) and either Open Pro/CXP33's.  The main difference between OP's and CXP33's is the profile of the wheel.  Strength is similar, but the aerodynamics slightly favours the CXP33's and weight slightly favours the OP's.  I use my Record/OP wheels for commuting and have no qualms about riding off pavements, over potholes, speedbumps etc.  I have had them 4 years now and they have never needed truing.

Unfortunately a little more expensive (R4500.00 per pair), but the Spinergy Xaero wheels have no weight limit. PBO fibre Spokes 8 times stronger than steel.

More or less the same weight as the Mavic SL2 wheels.

Myself (96kg) and Fatcyclist round that weight still to this date have never had any problems with spokes breaking. I can also add to that in the whole of SA I have never had a spoke break under normal use (rear derailleur going into spokes does not count for normal usage).

No chance Drivetrain smileys/smiley17.gif

Wonduhboy thats the beauty of the hub. Those Shimano wheels was discussed previously, with 85kg being the max. Again i think the shop is at fault, as they should know their stuff.

If you are on the east rand George from Mean Machine builds awesome wheels, and guarantees them. He will also true them if they ever go slightly out. My Mavic Opens have only had to be trued once since he built them, and i have been riding them since just before the Argus.

I can understand that manuf.'s aren't going to endorse their wheels for 100+ guys, but surely they should make the limit known to buyers?

I've emailed raleigh and explained my story, so I'll see what they come back with. I'm not too hopeful though and will proabably have to have a set built up for me.

Titus - can I use the hubs that are currently on my wheels?

Go for a set of Velocity deep V rims, 3 cross both front and rear, tied and soldered on the rear. I weigh 85kg had a set of these built up about 3 years ago and still going strong.

When you weigh anything over 80kg you are only fooling yourself with lightweight stuff, rather go for strength.

I use the best wheel builder in Gauteng, PM me and i'll give you his details

No, unfortunately you can't use the hubs on the wheels. Speak to the shop where you bought the wheels and explain the story to them. Tell them what you would like to have them replaced with and that you will pay in the extra (at cost of course) between the 2 setups. If they do actually value your custom they will come to some sort of an arrangement with you. Hey, the worst they can do is say no?