Wheels for my SS build

hdp_gmx

HI Guys,

I am not worried about weight, I need strength and a wheel that i wont need truing every two weeks. Busy looking at these:

http://www.thehubsa....9inch-tubeless/

As apparently they have no weight limit, or i am going to build up (by yellow saddle) a set with ZTR Arch EX rims and Hope hubs. The ZTRs are probably stronger and stiffer, total build will cost around 2500k more than the above.

Was initially thinking of using the wheels (Alex) from my FS Scott but they have so much lateral flex its crazy, i think their only saving grace under my weight is the suspension on the Scott :eek: so that is out of the picture

Edited by hdp_gmx

Hi there

If you are looking for a SOLID SS specific build,

Go for the following:

Stan's FLOW rims (like a freeride / trials type rim)

Hope PRO II evo hubs, but go for the Hope Pro II evo SS/trials rear hub.

A narrower freebody, made of steel so the SS cog does not rif into the aluminum freebody.

REALLY great set of wheels.

Try Mike's Bikes in Greenside for a build / quote.

Happy Hoopin

Hi there

If you are looking for a SOLID SS specific build,

Go for the following:

Stan's FLOW rims (like a freeride / trials type rim)

Hope PRO II evo hubs, but go for the Hope Pro II evo SS/trials rear hub.

A narrower freebody, made of steel so the SS cog does not rif into the aluminum freebody.

REALLY great set of wheels.

Happy Hoopin

PS, I have a set like this, and it is absolutely fit and forget!!!

I've run the Hope / Arch combination very successfully on a singlespeed and I am NOT a light rider. Definitely would go for these above the American classic. You just have to be careful, as all these hubs have aluminium cassette bodies, so going for the hope singlespeed hub may be a better option (or getting a steel body).

Thanks for the info guys and the headsup on the cassette body will get the singlespeed hub, i read it has quicker in engagement too. I will phone around for the best pricing and definitely include Mike's :thumbup:

PS, I have a set like this, and it is absolutely fit and forget!!!

Do you perhaps know what your spoke lenght is?

Happy Hoopin

Jason at International Trade (the Hope SA agents) can build you wheels to your spec and it won't cost you an arm. Mr. Usher also works for them and he knows just about anything to do with SS - including organising the SSWC. :D

Jason at International Trade (the Hope SA agents) can build you wheels to your spec and it won't cost you an arm. Mr. Usher also works for them and he knows just about anything to do with SS - including organising the SSWC. :D

Awesome ill give them a call now :thumbup: , thanks slick

Awesome ill give them a call now :thumbup: , thanks slick

No problem.

Their new number is 781 5324.

HI Guys,

I am not worried about weight, I need strength and a wheel that i wont need truing every two weeks. Busy looking at these:

http://www.thehubsa....9inch-tubeless/

As apparently they have no weight limit, or i am going to build up (by yellow saddle) a set with ZTR Arch EX rims and Hope hubs. The ZTRs are probably stronger and stiffer, total build will cost around 2500k more than the above.

Was initially thinking of using the wheels (Alex) from my FS Scott but they have so much lateral flex its crazy, i think their only saving grace under my weight is the suspension on the Scott :eek: so that is out of the picture

I got the ZTR Arch for my SS because I knew the ride would be rough and needed a rim which could withstand the punishment. hey have not let me down yet. bought them as a wheel set from Buycycle.co.za

I'd go for the Arch EX or maybe even Flows on Hope hubs. If you haven't been riding SS before it may be prudent to rather get the normal rather than SS specific hubs so you can chuck a cassette on the bike and ride it if gears if your knees decide to pack up or you simply don't enjoy it. You get cogs with a rather wide contact point / base to minimise freehub damage when running SS.

Oh ya and you could probably get that wheelset landed in SA for not a hell of a lot more than 4K if you shop around online.

Edited by XTC1

Hi HDp

Maybe look at the DT SWiss XR29, There are quite a few sets of them floating around in the hub classifieds for excellent prices. i.e. https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/25778-dt-swiss-29er-wheelset/ . They come off the Scott Scale Pro and expert. It looks like its the first thing people are upgrading on the Scott's but its purely a weight issue as far as I can ascertain, They apparently weigh between 1.8 and 1.9kg. I have a Scott Scale Pro and I have done about 1200km's on mine without any issues.

Thanks for the info guys!

@XTC i am going balls to the wall on this one with no turning back, used to do lots of road cycling too and used to really grinding big gears

@SteveS ill go take a look but i really need strong wheels due to me weight and riding style, on my old trek 26er hardtail when i weighed 90kg i had to true my wheels once a month and put them out of round quite quickly one ride ended up poping spokes in both front and rear wheels in one ride, i blame my DH days for that :)

@raab - I am crazy excited dude, ill post pics as i progress :thumbup:

So far nobody i phoned came back to me with pricing :thumbdown: you can get really good deals online as XTC mentioned will start looking

Thanks for the info guys!

@XTC i am going balls to the wall on this one with no turning back, used to do lots of road cycling too and used to really grinding big gears

@SteveS ill go take a look but i really need strong wheels due to me weight and riding style, on my old trek 26er hardtail when i weighed 90kg i had to true my wheels once a month and put them out of round quite quickly one ride ended up poping spokes in both front and rear wheels in one ride, i blame my DH days for that :)

@raab - I am crazy excited dude, ill post pics as i progress :thumbup:

So far nobody i phoned came back to me with pricing :thumbdown: you can get really good deals online as XTC mentioned will start looking

There are no weight limit on those wheels. I weigh 90kgs, no problems

If you are interested in Syncros wheels I can try and source some for you from the importers. From what I have heard they are built to last.