Frame Size for a 29er

AT35

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 29er and while talking to a number of different people they have suggested that I should look at going a frame size smaller than I would normally to counter act the extra length and reduced "chuckabillity". I am about 175cm, so would normally be looking at a medium. Should I go for a small? What is the general opinion out there as I don't want to end up spending all my money on a bike that is either too small for me or one that feels numb in the technical sections?

My choices will be limited to hardtails and I want to be able to do marathon events and not just play around at weekeneds.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful limiting yourself to a certain "size". Some 29er Hardtails only come in S/M/L with no XL and in these cases the L size effective toptube can be more than 625mm+... in these frames you will certainly need a S.

Measure your toptube including stem up-to the middle of your saddle/seatpost and see how that translates to the specific frame you are buying. It's all to do with the actual frame/geo of the bike you are getting... a S is not a S is not a S....

i am 175cm - I ride a volcan 29 ht size small. the 29er is generally a "bigger" bike, so rule of thumb if u normally ride a medium look at the small in the case of 29er

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 29er and while talking to a number of different people they have suggested that I should look at going a frame size smaller than I would normally to counter act the extra length and reduced "chuckabillity". I am about 175cm, so would normally be looking at a medium. Should I go for a small? What is the general opinion out there as I don't want to end up spending all my money on a bike that is either too small for me or one that feels numb in the technical sections?

My choices will be limited to hardtails and I want to be able to do marathon events and not just play around at weekeneds.

For a start doesn't matter what bike it is as far as humanly possible ride before you buy. At your height a medium in most brands will do the trick, but no two brands measure exactly the same way and have the same approach when it comes to geometry.

Ps. Please tell your friends that is some of the worst advise ever. Ever.

Edited by The Crow

Hi,

Depends on the bike dude go for a pro bike fitting to get the right measurements, i went from a large anthem 26 to an XL rocky mountain 29. Its bull to either stay the same frame size or go smaller. It depends on your reach and the effective toptube length of your bike. Once you go for a pro fitting, you have the measurements and you can determine the right size bike by simply looking at the specs, best money i have ever spent.

Edited by covie

i am 175cm - I ride a volcan 29 ht size small. the 29er is generally a "bigger" bike, so rule of thumb if u normally ride a medium look at the small in the case of 29er

What?! How is the bike bigger? Have you measured one properly?

That's a Krap rule with Kapital K.

It's the effective top tube you need to worry about first.

That's a Krap rule with Kapital K.

It's the effective top tube you need to worry about first.

Agreed, its all about toptube, the seatpost/downtube you can adjust, its all about the reach and the body position due to the reach, and that translates to having the right toptube length, by most bike manufacturer standards im a L and thats what i bought with my anthem, I always felt off balance and twitchy, went for a bike fitting, got a XL rocky and i feel like i am part of the bike, perfect balance. And im only 181cm. but i have a long reach (arm length) and its made the world of difference to my riding and my confidence.

Yeah. A good start will be to do two things:

1. Like Covie suggests go for a pro measure / fit.

2. Measure your current ride's Top Tube & reach.

That'll give you a good idea where to work from. Assuming your current ride fits you.

Yeah. A good start will be to do two things:

1. Like Covie suggests go for a pro measure / fit.

2. Measure your current ride's Top Tube & reach.

That'll give you a good idea where to work from. Assuming your current ride fits you.

Lol....or just ask your "buddy" if you can measure his frame, because by the sound of it he has the best bike fit ever, so good it will even fit YOU... the friend that told you about "chuckability" sounds super knowledgeable...

:w00t:

Edited by TheV

Gotta love how people throw the word "chuckability" around. Pun intended! :whistling:

Ja... what about using tossability... because I do think I have mad skillz

Tossability is what you have when you see the fat ones, V...

wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah... that's how I roll... chucking it out of control....

:clap: thanks for your contribution to the discussion....

wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah... that's how I roll... chucking it out of control....

:clap: thanks for your contribution to the discussion....

ROFL... Thought I'd pitch in with a chirp or two.

But yeah - smaller frame size because of the bigger wheels? What utter BS. As has been said before, all you need to worry about is the top tube. The standover height is generally a non-issue nowadays with the majority of manufacturers going for the "compact" frame style, and reach can be adjusted with a longer / shorter stem, and the positioning of the saddle.

Just get yourself to a bike shop (or multiple bike shops, for that matter) and try out a broad spectrum of bikes to see what feels right for you.

Yes - a smaller frame does have better "chuckability" to use the hugely overused term, but then you're not looking to buy a BMX, are you?