29er wheels weight

Goodbadugly

What would be a good wheel weight for everyday riding? I am not talking about the sub 1.4kg Race Gold stuff. What does your wheels weigh?

Anything under 2kg is OK

Under 1690grams ( American classics, more than advertised, but I weighed them, is very good)

ZTR Crest with Stans 3.30 hubs , Dt Swiss comp spokes and, brass nipples, 1580gr.

Hi Goodbadugly

I have a set of Stan's ZTR Flow rims laced to Hope Pro II evo hubs.

BOMBPROOF, same setup as some free-ride wheelsets.

My set came in at 1750g, and strong!!!

Did I mention BOMBPROOF???

ZTR Crest with Stans 3.30 hubs , Dt Swiss comp spokes and, brass nipples, 1580gr.

ditto

make sure your wheels can handle your body weight. heavier guys should not be on Crest rims...

AM classic look good at 1.6kg, rider weight limit 107kg.

IMHO spokes are under rated. I've got DT Swiss competition with my ZTR Crest and Hope Evo. Also more on the 1,7kg but strong!

Anything under 2kg is OK

Under 1690grams ( American classics, more than advertised, but I weighed them, is very good)

Remember weight generally also has a direct relation to strength, had another mate of mine come off a set of ZTR crests going down jeeptrack, wheel just totally mangled. And note the weight limits for the rims, eg. ZTR crest has a limit of 190lbs or about 86kg. You can strengthen them a bit using the thickest heaviest spokes you can find, but it wont increase the tollerances by much.

Was going to build up a set of ZTR crests but since Ive seen to many of them fail, ill rather go with a set of arch's. Not that much of a weight penalty for a stiffer more reliable wheel.

Edited by covie

Remember weight generally also has a direct relation to strength, had another mate of mine come off a set of ZTR crests going down jeeptrack, wheel just totally mangled. And note the weight limits for the rims, eg. ZTR crest has a limit of 190lbs or about 86kg. You can strengthen them a bit using the thickest heaviest spokes you can find, but it wont increase the tollerances by much.

Was going to build up a set of ZTR crests but since Ive seen to many of them fail, ill rather go with a set of arch's. Not that much of a weight penalty for a stiffer more reliable wheel.

I see that Stan's now has the Arch Ex: 'The new Arch EX is lighter, wider and tougher than the original Arch rim!'

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Arch-EX-29-32-Hole-Black-P891.aspx

Just wondering why the 29 arch ex whites are 480g and the black is 450 :unsure:

'cos white paint weighs 30g ? :whistling:

I have been riding a set of Bontranger Rythm Elites on both my 26'er Shova and the 29'er SS.

Two weeks ago with the 29'er wheelset I plowed straght into a mother of a donga at a high speed and the front wheel that took the brunt of the impact is still perfectly true.

• On both bikes the wheels have seen lots of abuse and have handled this abuse very very well.
  • I like the wider rim formats as you can mount a larger volume tyre and the tyre will sit better / not roll as what it would with a typical XC type rim internal width.
  • The Bonti plastic rim strips that convert the wheelsets to tubeless are simply faultless.
  • The skewers are nice and solid
  • http://bontrager.com/model/09772
  • Expect about 1825grams for a wheelset

I like these wheels, they might not be a bling set of pimping wheels, but they roll so well and are nice a stiff, not to mention reliable that I would highly recommend them to other riders.

I have been riding a set of Bontranger Rythm Elites on both my 26'er Shova and the 29'er SS.

Two weeks ago with the 29'er wheelset I plowed straght into a mother of a donga at a high speed and the front wheel that took the brunt of the impact is still perfectly true.

• On both bikes the wheels have seen lots of abuse and have handled this abuse very very well.
  • I like the wider rim formats as you can mount a larger volume tyre and the tyre will sit better / not roll as what it would with a typical XC type rim internal width.
  • The Bonti plastic rim strips that convert the wheelsets to tubeless are simply faultless.

I like these wheels, they might not be a bling set of pimping wheels, but they roll so well and are nice a stiff, not to mention reliable that I would highly recommend them to other riders.

No dealer locations in CPT, So your probably going to struggle your ass off trying to get spares or warrantee replacements. I like the fact that it comes standard with all the conversion kits though.

Have the exact same as a training wheelset...totally bombproof

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've got a query along similar lines...

Any thoughts on the American Classic Race 29r wheelset. Quoted weight is 1420g.

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb-race-29.php

I'm 75kgs & mainly do XC and general trail riding. Spend a lot of time on the Cascades World Cup XC course.

I'm not necessarily looking for a super light weight wheelset but these seem lighter than the average (1600g) in this price range and maybe an attractive option.

Or should I not risk damaging rims and go for the slightly heavier option (which are cheaper) like these:

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb29disc.php