Forks: All the jargon you need to know

Iwan Kemp

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, i have white Niner Carbon Rigid fork and want to know if i can sand it down to make it Matt black to fit in with my frame - someone

said that the paint (white) gets mixed in with the carbon and you cannot do it....it will be done professionally!!

Is this possible?

Dont know poef about forks. all i know is mine got serviced by lbs friday and now my lock out wont work

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

I still have difficulty understanding a few things. The only thin I basically understand from an air shock is the sag and amount it should be. But why do so many fork specs say that it's travel is 80mm, 100m and 130mm. Which one is it then, 100mm or what?

Would someone be so kind to quickly have a look at this shock on my bike and explain to me what all that info means, like what is the travel and and and? Please :stupid:

It's the expert one: http://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/minute/

Edited by Wimmas

The Expert is available in 80 OR 100 OR 130mm travel. The 100mm version can be spaced down internally to 80mm. The 130mm option is a dedicated 130mm travel fork. The only way you'll be able to reduce it's travel is by swopping out the internals completely - it'll be cheaper to buy a new fork!

Some forks, like Fox's Talas, has external travel adjust which means you can drop it on the fly.

Aha thank you! Isee on my bike's site it's a 100mm travel. Just went to the LBS to check pressure and they reckon it's fine for my fat arse. Felt very stiff but i adjusted the rebound and feels a bit better now.

Will see how it feels tomorrow at Dirtmax.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi All,

Looking for some advice...

What are your thoughts on the remote lock out/open system that some guys have on their handle bars for their front shocks?

Thanks

Anton

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Looking for some advice...

What are your thoughts on the remote lock out/open system that some guys have on their handle bars for their front shocks?

Thanks

Anton

Rider dependent. I don't use lock out much so see no need for it my side. But if you use your lock out often then it is a convenient flick of the switch. 

Rider dependent. I don't use lock out much so see no need for it my side. But if you use your lock out often then it is a convenient flick of the switch. 

Especially if like me you forget, more often than not, to unlock the damn thing ...... I however don't bother to lock anymore