Forks: All the jargon you need to know

Iwan Kemp

Can anybody assist. Where can I get spares (seal kits) to service my rear Rockshox RS23 and my front Fox Float 29. Tried every single bike shop in the Westrand and Northern parts of JHB with no success

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Try Stoke suspension works here in CT. Droo should be able to assist, and if he can't, nobody can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I would like to service my Fox Fork. Sorry if this has been covered.

Two quotes from two different bike shops.

1) R250 excl parts for a 'lowers' service

2) R1400 excl parts for a 'full' fork service

Someone, please explain what the difference between a 'lowers' service and a full fork service is? Otherwise i just can't seem to justify the price difference.

Is it ok to do a 'lowers' service, or should one really spill the R1400 to get the full monty?

Hi All

I would like to service my Fox Fork. Sorry if this has been covered.

Two quotes from two different bike shops.

1) R250 excl parts for a 'lowers' service

2) R1400 excl parts for a 'full' fork service

Someone, please explain what the difference between a 'lowers' service and a full fork service is? Otherwise i just can't seem to justify the price difference.

Is it ok to do a 'lowers' service, or should one really spill the R1400 to get the full monty?

R250 for labour is fair for a lower leg service. This entails removing the lower legs, cleaning the stanchions and lower legs, replacing the dust wipers and foam rings, replacing the oil in the lower legs.

R1400 is very steep for just labour on a full service. This entails the above lower leg service as well as a rebound (Oil side) and compression (Air side) service, this means opening up and changing the oil and o-rings in the Air and Rebound shafts. should also include cleaning and checking any remote lock-outs.

My LBS charges ±R600 labour for a complete fork service.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm riding a 2017 Camber Comp Carbon that comes with a Rockshox Revelation. I want to upgrade to a Fox 34. My bike currently had 120mm of travel in the front and I would like to keep it like that. I see some bikes have Fox 34's with 120mm from factory but when looking on eBay etc I see they only come with 140mm or so. 

Can these be converted to 120mm later? Is it safe to buy and make changes on it at a later date? Whats the best option for me?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm riding a 2017 Camber Comp Carbon that comes with a Rockshox Revelation. I want to upgrade to a Fox 34. My bike currently had 120mm of travel in the front and I would like to keep it like that. I see some bikes have Fox 34's with 120mm from factory but when looking on eBay etc I see they only come with 140mm or so. 

Can these be converted to 120mm later? Is it safe to buy and make changes on it at a later date? Whats the best option for me?

Thanks,

Matt

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=615#34mmfloat

34mm FLOAT

2016 34mm FLOAT forks can be travel adjusted by replacing the air shaft assembly. 34mm forks can be reduced in travel as low as 110mm. 2016 27.5in 34mm forks may have travel extended up to 160mm. While 2016 29in 34mm forks may have travel extended up to 140mm, forks starting at 120 or below will need a new damper to acheive greater than 120 travel. All 2016 34mm forks share the same upper tube bore diameter.

The chart below lists 34mm FLOAT air shaft assemblies for 2016+ forks.