Garmin Edge 500 Version 3.0 Software Ugrade Available!

Tankman

Hey guys

Did mine now in one go.

Took probably about 5min in total...

Really easy and cool.

PS, had a polar bike computer for 2years, NEVER got an update of a day old.

GARMIN, I am a converted ambassador!!!!

I'll only sing Garmin's praise when they offer Linux support.

Luckily some smart chap wrote Linux Garmin Communicator Plugin to lesson the pain slightly. At least I can upload to Stava and Endomondo ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some homework and it seems the problem is caused by corrupt .fit files. One of my course .fit files was corrupt (indicated by strange characters in the file name). I deleted that file (I had to do it on the device itself) and now the problem is solved.

Hmm interesting will give that a try.

I have managed to manually upload my workouts to garmin connect though.

Chrome hasn't worked either as it say I need to update the Communicator plugin which I have done twice but when I try again it says it';s at 2. something and needs to update. Checking the plugin afterwards it says it is at 4.0.10 or whatever and it does pick-up the Edge but then still doesn't upload and again says the plugin needs to be updated and then the process repeats.

On uploading it just freezes half way through.

If the corrupt file thing doesn't work I'll try re-installing the plug-in which seems the issue here.

Thanks for all the help.

If you have any other issues tweet garmin at @garminsa they have been VERY helpfull otherwise I can provide the contact details of someone dealing with the fitness devices.

Hi guys

So I had a quirk with my E500 today, post upgrade,

Did press start (see below for reason I know I did) in the parking lot, then about 4km in noticed unit is off, switched on and restarted, from here everything worked fine.

Anyone experience this?

G

Looking at the log file, it shows a quick jump from parking lot to where I noticed the problem, so first location/time reading was in parking lot.

I remember that problem with older sw only, are you running the latest?

I've updated to version 3 recently and have had no issues. But I also get the issue with 'multiple HR found' and with this it has happened twice with me in races that the HRM is just ignored and I have no HR monitoring for the race. I'm also interested in finding a solution that will NOT search for HRM, but lock into the HRM with the ID as setup on the device. The last time this happened I was already on version 3 (so it's not just a problem with older versions). Anyone able to assist?

Edited by ACM

Hi guys

So I had a quirk with my E500 today, post upgrade,

Did press start (see below for reason I know I did) in the parking lot, then about 4km in noticed unit is off, switched on and restarted, from here everything worked fine.

Anyone experience this?

G

Looking at the log file, it shows a quick jump from parking lot to where I noticed the problem, so first location/time reading was in parking lot.

Too easy G...

Here is what happened.

The unit was probably still busy starting up and you pressed the start button. While it is still busy starting up, satelites might have been connected but there is a longer delay when you then press the start button.

Then you either held the start button in too long or pressed it twice by mistake. You will not notice that the workout was actually stopped because this will only be displayed after about 4 or 5 seconds, by which time you are looking at the road in front of you.

The unit is set by default to switch off automatically after 10minutes if the timer is not running to protect battery life.

Thus after around 4km or ... 10min's the unit would be off when you noticed it.

Switching it on and pressing start again will mean that a straight line is drawn from the last gps point to the one where you restarted it again, thus the straight line when you downloaded the file ...

I need a beer ...

Edited by Tankman

I've updated to version 3 recently and have had no issues. But I also get the issue with 'multiple HR found' and with this it has happened twice with me in races that the HRM is just ignored and I have no HR monitoring for the race. I'm also interested in finding a solution that will NOT search for HRM, but lock into the HRM with the ID as setup on the device. The last time this happened I was already on version 3 (so it's not just a problem with older versions). Anyone able to assist?

yea, Ill finish my beer then give you sthe ssssolotion ;)

Hi Tankman

all very logical, only problems, I get out of car, put unit into mount, switch on.

Get shoes on, hydropack on, helmet gloves glasses and off I go, pressing start as I remember or it beeps because movement has been detected.

Today, as I was leaving the parking lot I still looked down and saw the timer (and noticed the distance incrementing) running, confirming all good.

G

Too easy G...

Here is what happened.

The unit was probably still busy starting up and you pressed the start button. While it is still busy starting up, satelites might have been connected but there is a longer delay when you then press the start button.

Then you either held the start button in too long or pressed it twice by mistake. You will not notice that the workout was actually stopped because this will only be displayed after about 4 or 5 seconds, by which time you are looking at the road in front of you.

The unit is set by default to switch off automatically after 10minutes if the timer is not running to protect battery life.

Thus after around 4km or ... 10min's the unit would be off when you noticed it.

Switching it on and pressing start again will mean that a straight line is drawn from the last gps point to the one where you restarted it again, thus the straight line when you downloaded the file ...

I need a beer ...

Same has happened to me.

Pressed start ... Looked like not much was happening ... Timer not running.

Pressed start again and then got the "Timer Started" display message, went round the corner and a couple of seconds later heard the beeb, looked down and saw the "Timer Stopped" message. The second press of the button on kicked in a while later.

This is not a normal occurrence though ... let us know if it happens again!

Hi Tankman

Issue is it was working perfectly after the initial start, this was confirmed visually, hopefully this was a once off.

Thinking back, I did hear a beep, my own fault that I did not look down, would have been about 10min in/approx, when it prob auto switched off.

G

Same has happened to me.

Pressed start ... Looked like not much was happening ... Timer not running.

Pressed start again and then got the "Timer Started" display message, went round the corner and a couple of seconds later heard the beeb, looked down and saw the "Timer Stopped" message. The second press of the button on kicked in a while later.

This is not a normal occurrence though ... let us know if it happens again!

Lets see how smart all you hubbers are .

i did the update on my edge and all is sweet except one thing . it will not give me the % max HR reading (just blank ) i can get all the other HR reading but that one now does not work .

any ideas ?

i mailed Garmin but they still have not come back to me .

i did the update on my edge and all is sweet except one thing . it will not give me the % max HR reading (just blank ) i can get all the other HR reading but that one now does not work .

any ideas ?

Hi there Iron

I had a similar issue using the HRR, a problem uploading my resting HR onto the Edge.

Contacted Garmin, and the suggestion is the following:

Under Garmin connect

Selection of Sport:

Use the default setting (cycling, running and swimming actually for the multi-sport watches)

Upload your HR settings like that, under the "default" tab for sports.

Let me know how that works for you.

I do however have a Garmin SA contact person, looking into these small "bugs" that we report.

Happy Hoopin

Just prompted me to update my Garmin 800 to version 2.40...similar additional functions!

I am a power junkie so this rocks!!

any ideas ?

I had the same problem but after re-loading my max and min HR values the problem was solved.

I had the same problem but after re-loading my max and min HR values the problem was solved.

Hi there Iron

I had a similar issue using the HRR, a problem uploading my resting HR onto the Edge.

Contacted Garmin, and the suggestion is the following:

Under Garmin connect

Selection of Sport:

Use the default setting (cycling, running and swimming actually for the multi-sport watches)

Upload your HR settings like that, under the "default" tab for sports.

Let me know how that works for you.

I do however have a Garmin SA contact person, looking into these small "bugs" that we report.

Happy Hoopin

Thanks Gents, done !

will check on my ride later if its working .

I still can not get to load al my data to my laptop. I have to manually copy the files from my Edge 500 to my hard drive and then manually load each file into connect.garmin :-(

Has anybody experienced any problems with heart rate not showing up at all? Since update my heart rate is not being read at all. Checked battery which is fine, replaced it anyway but still nothing.

Has anybody any suggestions?

Thanks all.