Pinarello Treviso

Grondpad

Here is my little singlespeed project (actually a fixie).

It’s a Pinarello Treviso track bike. The little research I have done indicates that it is form the early to mid 90’s but I am sure that there are some Hubber’s that will know more about the period. I don’t know how many of these bikes were made, cause the info I can find are few and far between. Most of the bikes on the web are the geared version of the Treviso.

This is one sweet bike. I considered going totally retro with it but have decided against it. I think I will do a restoration project as the bike is actually in a very good condition. It doesn’t look like the bike has done many miles and was probably just stored for years. Apart form the problems with the paintjob and chrome, everything else still looks great.

Challenges I see is to get the right decals for the bike cause there are 2 that I think will be a bit of an issue. All the decals are stickers as well and none are painted one, so to get it back to its original condition I will have to get all of them new/made.

The frame and lug’s are awesome and the bike is unbelievably light.

The bike has clipn pedals, but I don’t know if the bike came with those. Does anyone know if they were standard or should I get some toe-clip pedals? I also need to get the leather redone on the saddle but might rather go with a similar Brooks saddle.

I am just going to replace the tyres and then the maiden (my maiden) voyage will be at the PTA critical mass this Friday.

post-7124-0-74519100-1343025470.jpg

post-7124-0-82104700-1343025477.jpg

post-7124-0-29886600-1343025484.jpg

post-7124-0-79358700-1343025490.jpg

post-7124-0-23958600-1343025498.jpg

post-7124-0-36200500-1343025504.jpg

post-7124-0-58351100-1343025512.jpg

post-7124-0-68174200-1343025518.jpg

post-7124-0-78781200-1343025525.jpg

post-7124-0-79029800-1343025532.jpg

Dont worry about stickers, they are available. I buy mine from this dude:

http://www.cyclomondo.net/page5.htm

That bike is a classic, glad to see you will be keeping it original. Nothing worse than seeing a classic Italian bike being turned into a hipster fixie.

How brilliant is that link! Thank you javadude!. Number 4 is exactly what I need.

Very pretty bike!

Where did you get this bike?

I'm looking for something retro (preferably Italian) myself, but I do not really see old Italian classics?

The odd Hansom etc. comes up every now and then, but not bikes like this.

This one is really special, enjoy!

Awesome find.

Keep it original, paint still looks good, for the scratched areas go to someone that does really good airbrushing, they will be able to tidy those areas up.

You could restore but it would loose value.

I would say keep it as it is, I have seen loads of Treviso road bikes, but not a track bike.

As for the pedals, most track guys in the day preferred to use toe clips and double straps.

So I would say those pedals wouldn't have been used on that bike.

Where did you get this bike?

It took a while but I after a couple of months I found this bike on Junkmail.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, nice find. I uncovered a sister-bike of this last year in PTA, in metallic grey and with Suntour track parts instead of Campag...I haven't found this exact model from any old catalogues, but as far as I know, there never was a Treviso Pista, so it could be called something else. Treviso was just a place where these were made, and a popular road / racing model they produced, the second behind Montello.

Can you see if yours is SL or SLX? I had lost the stickers, but the frame feels lighter than a SL. The track fork is tight, and someone had slightly filed mine some more space...

Hey, nice find. I uncovered a sister-bike of this last year in PTA, in metallic grey and with Suntour track parts instead of Campag...I haven't found this exact model from any old catalogues, but as far as I know, there never was a Treviso Pista, so it could be called something else. Treviso was just a place where these were made, and a popular road / racing model they produced, the second behind Montello.

Can you see if yours is SL or SLX? I had lost the stickers, but the frame feels lighter than a SL. The track fork is tight, and someone had slightly filed mine some more space...

It is the SLX. My road bike is 7.6kg and this one feels about the same weight but I have not yet weighed it.

Re the fork: it is very very tight. It’s very difficult to turn with this bike. Another issue I have is due to the old tyres. I will have to get new ones because if I go to about 3.5bar then the top of the tyres rubs against the fork. That is how tight it is

The other day I took it for a spin, and it being a fixie it almost got into trouble trying to stop. I think for rides like CM I will get another rear wheel that has a freebody.

I am also battling to find the same type of leather for the seat. It seems to be a very difficult colour to find. It’s almost a type of 'rooigrond' colour.

Dont worry about stickers, they are available. I buy mine from this dude:

http://www.cyclomondo.net/page5.htm

That bike is a classic, glad to see you will be keeping it original. Nothing worse than seeing a classic Italian bike being turned into a hipster fixie.

cyclomondo is great, even though he is Australian.

It is the SLX. My road bike is 7.6kg and this one feels about the same weight but I have not yet weighed it.

Re the fork: it is very very tight. It’s very difficult to turn with this bike. Another issue I have is due to the old tyres. I will have to get new ones because if I go to about 3.5bar then the top of the tyres rubs against the fork. That is how tight it is

I guess that's why someone had filed mine. I suppose it was designed to run 19-21 tubulars originally and even then the clearance would be minimal. I can just about fit a 23 clincher there right now. And the toe-overlap is heavy on mine, because of the small frame.

I didn't want to drill the fork for a break, and the only solution then, if you want to ride it on the street with one, is to get one of those Japanese Keirin-style front-breaks. You could always try finding a chromed Pinarello road fork for street riding, but they are not easy to find.

• 2 months later...

That is a fantasmic bike. Thanks for the great spread.

Gushed at each pic. What a great paint job.

How brilliant is that link! Thank you javadude!. Number 4 is exactly what I need.

You need to request Pinarello 2 in white. Check the columbus stickers and the campione 1984 decal and the wreath above the seat post decal. I also agree with previous poster that Treviso only refers to the town of origin and not the model in this case. And yes this majestic bike is meant to run on tubs.