Volcan

VicZA

Are Volcan bikes any good? I have no knowledge of them. Where are they manufactured? Are they strong? (do a lot of riding in the forests !!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone?

I tried looking now but not having any luck with my mobile internet.

What offerings do they have?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but I'm also trying to look at as many brands and options while I save up my slave money

RvanZ. have you done a search on here? From what I know, it is a greta bike, but I think the company has gone through a few problems (but stand to be corrected on this).

I have had the Volcan FS1 26" for a year now and am totally satisfied. Strong carbon frames, top spec components, all at a good price. I believe Volcans are Swiss made. Also the MTN team Used to ride volcanos, not sure if they still do.

Made in the east...but so are 99.99% of bikes so its not a bad thing. Rather that than someone making it in a shed somewhere smoking pot the whole day

I have had the Volcan FS1 26" for a year now and am totally satisfied. Strong carbon frames, top spec components, all at a good price. I believe Volcans are Swiss made. Also the MTN team Used to ride volcanos, not sure if they still do.

RvanZ. have you done a search on here? From what I know, it is a greta bike, but I think the company has gone through a few problems (but stand to be corrected on this).

Made in the east...but so are 99.99% of bikes so its not a bad thing. Rather that than someone making it in a shed somewhere smoking pot the whole day

was about to say. They're not as Swiss as they pretend to be. Do the search that Slowbee suggested (although I think much of the content may have been removed due to defamation and lawsuits).

But as mentioned most frames are mass produced in the far east.... so they hould be ok (or atleast comparable to other frames from the same/similar factories.

Chinese blank frames, branded, marketed and sold in SA only. I think their time has come and gone to be honest. Brand is still owned by Emotion/Evo cycling here in SA

was about to say. They're not as Swiss as they pretend to be. Do the search that Slowbee suggested (although I think much of the content may have been removed due to defamation and lawsuits).

But as mentioned most frames are mass produced in the far east.... so they hould be ok (or atleast comparable to other frames from the same/similar factories.

Apologies, they are/were designed in switzerland, manufactured in the east. Like you say, just like everything in the world today.

They're not as Swiss as they pretend to be.

Have never seen a Volcan here anywhere, either on the trails or in a shop.

Suspect it some saffa with swiss roots or swiss with Saffa roots who designed and marketed it only in SA as Volcan.

Some years back when they became popular in SA I made enquiries locally and spoke to a few LBS's and no one here I spoke to has ever heard of them. If they were genuine Swiss made / designed bikes there would be plenty about, the swiss are very patriotic wrt to locally made or designed products.

I think that little Swiss cross they use is quite misleading. Do a google search for "volcan bicycles switzerland". All the hits refer to the DT Swiss components.

Even their "international website" is South African, lists team riders that no longer ride for them, has race results from 2 years ago, and has no mention of Switzerland.

Almost everything sounds better when you put "Swiss" with it. Swiss cheese, Swiss chocolate, Swiss watches. So the ambiguity that the brand is Swiss has done well for their image. But as our Swiss hubber above posted. They're no where to be seen over there.

That being said though... if a bike works, it works, no matter where it's made. Hells, the small little country of Andorra makes some pretty awesome bikes that have resulted in Megavalanche and Downhill World titles.

Edited by patches

I have one of the first FS-1 ali Volcans. Did the Epic in 2009 and the Pionneer in 2010 and Desert Dash in 2009 with it. Very nice bike with more of a racing geometry and set-up. Light as well.

I don't know how the carbon bikes are, but going on what I've experienced, it should be good.

I think that little Swiss cross they use is quite misleading. Do a google search for "volcan bicycles switzerland". All the hits refer to the DT Swiss components.

Even their "international website" is South African, lists team riders that no longer ride for them, has race results from 2 years ago, and has no mention of Switzerland.

Everything sounds better when you put "Swiss" with it. Swiss cheese, Swiss chocolate, Swiss watches, swissvan's

Fixed :whistling:

I've seems some. Don’t know them, but I doubt that it’s a bad bike.

I would have a look at the components on the frame and see what they charge for the setup, also take it for a spin, if you happy with the price and you like the bike, well then it wouldn’t be too difficult to decide.

Good luck.

I have a XC1 carbon HT, not that I am a pro, just your average weekend warrior but I think that the bike and geometry is great. I bought the frame on special a couple of years back and have built it up to a very light racing machine (10KG for a large frame)

i also did the search MONTHS ago because this brand was the Bees' knees but hardly anything to back it up with ... Personally think the supplier made a killing in profit whilst riding the CycleLab wave... these bikes were going for BIG moola