South African bicycle frame builders

lowracer

Was just wondering, which South African frame builders builds frames, or used to build frames

Donald Williamson?- Produx

Patrick Morewood - Morewood

Gotty Hansen - Hansom, Zini

Francois du Toit - Lejeune, later building du Toit

John Freeman - Exocet

Duncan McIntyre - ???

Duncan McIntyre - Pettini(Linden Cycles)

Bill Lange - De 'Lange, Macintosh (Robbie Mcintosh)

?? - Alpina and Cosmos

Bloch - Sancini 

Cohens - Le Turbo

Gary Koen - Avenue

Peter Wheeler  - Lotus, Victoria
lowracer2008-01-24 10:24:18

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Lange use to build the Macintosh frames which Robbie Macintosh use to sell in his shop.

BTW, it's Gotty Hansen and they build Zini aswell. Then there was Alpina and Cosmos that were the same. Sancini was also build here in Jo'burg by the Bloch family.

Francois du Toit is the SA agent for Pinarello. Still builds frames on order.

Duncan Mcntyre also used to built some good frames - he now helps Francois on a part time basis.

Le Turbo was built by the Cohens in Hammanskraal. I thought they did the Zini's and Alpinas as well. There was also Linden Cycles Pettini brand, but probably built by someone else.

I see that Produx has branched out to produce carbon motor bike parts. Obviously the frame business is not sustainable. I remember at one stage Produx frames were being exported and rebranded, but that was when our exchange rate shot up to R10+ to the dollar. We obviously can't compete with Taiwan with our strong currency.

Exocet bicycles - John Freeman - Gauteng

Does not exist anymore.

It is ok, interested in current and past builders

I see that Produx has branched out to produce carbon motor bike parts. Obviously the frame business is not sustainable. I remember at one stage Produx frames were being exported and rebranded' date=' but that was when our exchange rate shot up to R10+ to the dollar. We obviously can't compete with Taiwan with our strong currency. [/quote']

it seems they now build in only carbon fibre, not aluminium anymore

I see that Produx has branched out to produce carbon motor bike parts. Obviously the frame business is not sustainable. I remember at one stage Produx frames were being exported and rebranded' date=' but that was when our exchange rate shot up to R10+ to the dollar. We obviously can't compete with Taiwan with our strong currency. [/quote']

So why is Morewood so succesful?

Had the unfortunate experiance of owning a FS Produx, never again.

Wasn't happy with the service or quality at the end of the day.

Morewood isn't competing with the Taiwanese, more with the high end American/Canadian brands. I agree they build a quality frame and charge accordingly. Produx was trying to get into the mass produced market selling no-name(cheap) frames to other brands. I have never owned a Produx so can't comment on the quality.

I tend to agree there, although MBUK rated it as a well priced bike with the performance of high end frames. Probably a niche market where we could fit in nicely.

I had a Produx for about two years, wasn't happy at all unfortunately. I did ride it hard, but expected more and felt let down by the support as well.

As far as I can remember - Petini was also built by Duncan McIntyre in a factory in Westdene

Welcome to the Hub.!!!

As far as I can remember - Petini was also built by Duncan McIntyre in a factory in Westdene

Welcome to the hub!

post some pictures of your work please