Post your Pyga

PYGA1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone successfully installed a stealth dropper post into a Oneten 29 that didn't have the hole in the frame for the internal cable routing pre-drilled at the facrtory?

I would like to get a 9point8 Fall Line dropper but it's only available with internal routing and was wondering if anyone has successfully drilled a hole in their frame for their dropper cable

I know the newer 110s come with a hole now so is there any harm in drilling a small hole in the same location then fitting some sort of grommet to seal the cable in the hole?

Has anyone successfully installed a stealth dropper post into a Oneten 29 that didn't have the hole in the frame for the internal cable routing pre-drilled at the facrtory?

I would like to get a 9point8 Fall Line dropper but it's only available with internal routing and was wondering if anyone has successfully drilled a hole in their frame for their dropper cable

I know the newer 110s come with a hole now so is there any harm in drilling a small hole in the same location then fitting some sort of grommet to seal the cable in the hole?

Probably chat to the guys at Pyga first before you void that warranty (assuming you still have a warranty).

Yea the newer ones have the little hole and grommet you describe. Honestly can't see the pyga okes having a problem with it but just make sure and check with them. You might also need another hole to tap a bracket in for routing cause it might cause cable rub if you don't.

Give them a call and ask for Pat, very accommodating fellow...not often you can speak to the guy that designed your bike  

edit...I can send you a pic of the positions(hole for routing and brakcet) on my pascoe, I don't think it will be different on the 110

Edited by rouxtjie

Please post if you find some info on this. I have the same question as I'd like to route my dropper post cable internally. I'm just petrified of drilling my Pyga.

Edited by GrahamS2

Please post if you find some info on this. I have the same question as I'd like to route my dropper post cable internally. I'm just petrified of drilling my Pyga.

Will definitely post back here when I get the answer.

Agree drilling into the frame is a little scary but a small new sharp bit for a pilot hole then open it up with a new larger bit should work OK. Just put tape on the frame where the hole will go to prevent the paint chipping. May have to open the hole into an oval with a Dremmel depending because of the angle that the cable enters. I'll ask Pyga if they can provide the hole dimensions if they say yes to drilling the hole.

Yea the newer ones have the little hole and grommet you describe. Honestly can't see the pyga okes having a problem with it but just make sure and check with them. You might also need another hole to tap a bracket in for routing cause it might cause cable rub if you don't.

Give them a call and ask for Pat, very accommodating fellow...not often you can speak to the guy that designed your bike  

edit...I can send you a pic of the positions(hole for routing and brakcet) on my pascoe, I don't think it will be different on the 110

Thanks rouxtjie I will take you up on the offer if I get the green light from Pyga. Will call them in the morning to hear their thoughts.

I got an answer from them:

"You can drill a hole in the rear of the seat tube to add routing for a stealth dropper. The cable will then run through this hole and underneath your seat tube.

Place some masking tape on the rear of the seat tube, next to the HD mount.

Make a horizontal line with a pencil on the back of the seat tube in line with the bottom of the HD derailleur mount.

Make another horizontal line 10-15 mm below that.

Make a vertical line crossing through these, ensuring it is centered on the seat tube.

Use 3mm bit to make a pilot hole in the centre of the vertical line.

Use an 8mm bit to widen the pilot hole and tilt the drill handle towards the floor to bevel the inside top face and outside lower face, which will make it easier to route your cable through.

Deburr the edges with a small file, so the hole does not damage your cable." 

And that, folks, is how you do service. 

Yip, have to share this little nugget. So obviously I wanted to have a spin on the new stage max last weekend and trailhead was hosting a demo day for Pyga, so me and mackie decided we will go for a lekker spin on the spruit on ours whilst sommer testing the new models.

So arrive on the spruit and asked Pat if my suspension bolts are torqued correctly after I fiddled, he felt and re-adjusted them for me showing me the right torque...he then noticed my pascoe frame was still shipped with the lightweight alu bolt on the main pivot...immediately asked hayden for a new bolt, and replaced there and then at no cost. So here is a world class bike designer sitting and wrenching okes bikes....don't see that too often. That right there is where I got a world of respect for the man. Big up  :thumbup: Everyone wants to talk bikes with the man so it must get boring for him after a while, yet he gives everyone same attention. 

Oh and they make stupid cool videos  :clap:

And people wonder why we love our Pyga's...

Kudu's to Pat and the other Pyga guys.

G

Yip, have to share this little nugget. So obviously I wanted to have a spin on the new stage max last weekend and trailhead was hosting a demo day for Pyga, so me and mackie decided we will go for a lekker spin on the spruit on ours whilst sommer testing the new models.

So arrive on the spruit and asked Pat if my suspension bolts are torqued correctly after I fiddled, he felt and re-adjusted them for me showing me the right torque...he then noticed my pascoe frame was still shipped with the lightweight alu bolt on the main pivot...immediately asked hayden for a new bolt, and replaced there and then at no cost. So here is a world class bike designer sitting and wrenching okes bikes....don't see that too often. That right there is where I got a world of respect for the man. Big up  :thumbup: Everyone wants to talk bikes with the man so it must get boring for him after a while, yet he gives everyone same attention. 

Having confirmed it is possible to drill the hole in the old frame to accommodate the stealth, the question I have is how are you going to route the cable?

The newer frames have the option to route the stealth cable underneath the down tube with the rear derailleur cable and rear brake hose to then go through the hole in the frame, whilst the older frames only have the routing option for two cables on top of the down tube (AFAIK). So where will the stealth cable be routed on the older frame?

Very cool....proudly Pyga!!

Having confirmed it is possible to drill the hole in the old frame to accommodate the stealth, the question I have is how are you going to route the cable?

The newer frames have the option to route the stealth cable underneath the down tube with the rear derailleur cable and rear brake hose to then go through the hole in the frame, whilst the older frames only have the routing option for two cables on top of the down tube (AFAIK). So where will the stealth cable be routed on the older frame?

I'm going to make up some clamps to accommodate 3 cables on the down tube, or just cable tie it to one of the existing cables there. Will then run the dropper cable off the side, under the BB, and up into the new hole.

I'm going to make up some clamps to accommodate 3 cables on the down tube, or just cable tie it to one of the existing cables there. Will then run the dropper cable off the side, under the BB, and up into the new hole.

OK cool, guess it's the only option really. Should work out. The goal is really to avoid having a cable that is flapping around and allowed to possibly cause significant cable rub on the frame.

I got an answer from them:

"You can drill a hole in the rear of the seat tube to add routing for a stealth dropper. The cable will then run through this hole and underneath your seat tube.

Place some masking tape on the rear of the seat tube, next to the HD mount.

Make a horizontal line with a pencil on the back of the seat tube in line with the bottom of the HD derailleur mount.

Make another horizontal line 10-15 mm below that.

Make a vertical line crossing through these, ensuring it is centered on the seat tube.

Use 3mm bit to make a pilot hole in the centre of the vertical line.

Use an 8mm bit to widen the pilot hole and tilt the drill handle towards the floor to bevel the inside top face and outside lower face, which will make it easier to route your cable through.

Deburr the edges with a small file, so the hole does not damage your cable." 

Great! So just to be clear, you drill the hole mid way between the two horizontal lines, so 5-7mm below the first line-right? What about the grommet? Any suggestions of what to use?

<snip>

Rouxtjie, a photo of the routing and close up of the bracket would be appreciated thanks. Just want to see how they've done it on the new models.

The routing will be a challenge but my first though was to just run it up along one of the other cables on the downtube as you suggested. '3 cable' clamps are available online from various vendors so it should work out to be a fairly neat solution.

The other option I thought that may work would be to reroute the rear brake hose along the top tube and then down the seat stay to the calliper which would free up one of the down tube slots. I'm not at my bike so cannot check if that would really be viable but I'm sure I saw a photo of someone on here that has routed the rear hose like that.

Well sir, seeing that you and Pat are standing around the same camp fire. Please ask him next time when he will be making a Stage in a size "small" for me. :ph34r: