RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly the only form of transport thats relatively safe is by car. Unless of course a taxi takes u out. I have been robbed on numerous occasions on different trains. Once in a taxi and almost in a bus

Last month now I have had to drive on Wednesdays for work......apparently it is not sound business sense to cycle to stellenbosch from town to inspect sites.

These past Wednesdays have been horrific with the manner in which motorists drive, it really is scary.

Safer on the bicycle

Last month now I have had to drive on Wednesdays for work......apparently it is not sound business sense to cycle to stellenbosch from town to inspect sites.

These past Wednesdays have been horrific with the manner in which motorists drive, it really is scary.

Safer on the bicycle

It is quite simply madness what goes on out there. I commute by motorcycle and everyday is a new adventure in madness and mayhem. Having just returned from a holiday in Ireland the difference is astounding. We drive with not a single care for anyone else on the road, far too impatient and at speeds incompatible with the traffic conditions. I keep coming back to "People are just plain stupid" because it's the only reason I can think of that makes any kind of sense. Somehow, the action of getting into the drivers seat renders our ability to think coherently null and void. The best I can do is to try and stay well away from the fools out there. Except for when I'm the fool on the bike making life difficult for everyone else. An ounce of forethought, patience and consideration is really all that's required. It just seems an impossible dream at the moment

The idea mentioned earlier of having the lanes next to the kerb and then a barrier and then parking and then the road is an awesome one and should have been implemented.

I understand that in Adderly street it is a problem but a small wall on the pavement could surely aid in making the lane clear

Dunno if this has been posted but I find it as funny as hell, doesn't just happen here...

CJdJFNxUEAAMRQH.jpg

1. CTCycleLanes retweeted Jaco Nolte

@helenzille @contestedspaces @CapeTownCCID @AramexSA

CTCycleLanes added,

CJdJFNxUEAAMRQH.jpg
    Jaco Nolte @NolteJaco
    0 retweets0 favorites
     Retweet
     Favorite
    More

@CTCycleLanes thanks for bringing to our attention. We don't take this lightly - driver will undergo internal disciplinary action today

1:51 AM - 9 Jul 2015 · Details
    Hide conversation
    Retweet
    Favorite
    Follow
    More

Bree street filled up again this morning. Gave the Transport Information Center a call this morning while waiting on the bike lane. The operator was very helpful and said she would request a traffic official to have a look. 

Should have stayed to see the outcome but was late for work as is. Going to cycle in earlier tomorrow and hang around to see if this method pays off. 

Edited by Jakkels

Guest notmyname

1:51 AM - 9 Jul 2015 · Details

Hide conversation

Retweet

Favorite

Follow

More

Each and every battle contributes to the victory of the war.

Post this on Twitter and tag Berco!

Aramex have already replied, check post above yours

R1 000-boete ‘moes meer gewees het’ - Helen Zille

Deur Romantha Botha Donderdag 09 Julie 2015 04:10

http://images.redactor.co.za/559d88a268480b7060d04e5f.jpg

Motors het Woensdag op die fietsrybaan in Breestraat geparkeer en die baan vir fietsryers versper. Foto: NASIEF MANIE

KAAPSTAD. – “Eerlik gesproke, die boete moes meer gewees het. Wees bedagsaam en betoon respek teenoor ander. Hou by die reëls.”

Só het die Helen Zille, Wes-Kaapse premier, Woensdag geantwoord op ’n twiet van ’n motoris wat gekla het omdat sy op die groen baan, wat vir fietsryers bedoel is, geparkeer het en met R1 000 beboet is.

Luidens ’n verklaring van die Kaapse stadsraad is die afgelope vyf jaar ongeveer R300 miljoen bestee op nie-gemotoriseerde vervoerprojekte, wat die fietsbane insluit.

Die stadsraad poog om sodoende verkeersophopings te verminder en motoriste aan te moedig om eerder fiets te ry.

“Die stad moet ingryp om die veiligheid van fietsryers te verbeter en te verseker dat motoriste te alle tye die groen bane vermy,” het Brett Herron, burgemeesterskomiteelid vir vervoer, gesê.

Motors wat in die groen bane in Albertweg en strate in die middestad parkeer, gaan geskut en beboet word. Hulle sal ook ’n skutfooi moet betaal.

Die stadsraad het fietsryers aangemoedig om eienaarskap van die bane te neem en oortreders by die munisipale direktoraat van veiligheid en sekuriteit by 0800 64 65 63 aan te meld.

GO Zille!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Woodstock was clearer than usual this morning, but Salt River was a mess with parked cars and lots of debris and glass in the green lane. (Sorry, I don't have a picture of the mess in Salt River section as I was alone and it felt a bit too dodgy to stop and whip out the phone.)

post-17716-0-82127000-1437379956_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Woodstock was clearer than usual this morning, but Salt River was a mess with parked cars and lots of debris and glass in the green lane. (Sorry, I don't have a picture of the mess in Salt River section as I was alone and it felt a bit too dodgy to stop and whip out the phone.)

Dude, you must see the cycle lane running to Table View after a weekend, especially a payday weekend.

There is very often glass from a couple of broken bottles and most certainly glass or car parts from car accidents ...... and this lane is well off the road!