Trail runners on the , err , trails.

jimmy hardtail

So I'm all for sharing the trails and all that but where did all the runners come from? I almost collided with 8 of them running down the DH track at Tokai tonight. They were running down the big step down jump into the quarry!

What is the correct trail etiquette when I hit one? Should I continue on my way or should I stop. And laugh? Seriously though , are there any right of way rules etc? Or should I just take the high ground and be polite?

Although they scatter like rabbits when you lock up a brake at 40 kph behind them :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many places in Tokai that we are not allowed to go, I feel that I have right of way on the mountain bike specific single track.

I came face to face with 2 horses on Fairie Garden a while ago. I thought that seeing as they had the size and weight advantage, I should move. But I was really annoyed with that.

(Or am I wrong about them being mtb specific?)

umm, not sure what to say regarding trail running... as much as I want to see it included as an activity, I see the dangers too! My gut says it should not be allowed, especially as there is already conflict in bi direction with the current MTB numbers, imagine adding trail running??! eek.gif

This will be debated in the forum I am sure.

i run and i ride

maak ma plek vir mekaar sal ek se

meeste van daai paaie is gedraf voor dit begin ry is so jy kan altwee kante toe stry oor die topic

Ek skreeu ma gewoonlik as ek iemand sien en dan gee hulle pad, net so met stadige ryers en honde

mens moet ma almal hulle plek gee om te doen wat hulle wil

Consider it training for the race when the idiot stops in the middle of the track to check if he has a puncture. Every stop and start is micro interval training

Smile and wave.

almost collided into 3 youngsters (and their guitar) having a picnic in the Majik singletrack - I don't think fellow trail users realise just how fast we go.

Common sense would say that runners should run opp direction to cyclists and give way on singletrack. There's so much trail that runners can use that cyclists can't (or aren't allowed to) that we should have right of way on purpose built singletrack.

That said - a level of tolerance and friendliness and less sense of entitlement amongst all trail users would make life much more pleasant!

I have no problem sharing the trails. Most of the ti…e its not a problem, I will stop and wait for horses, people riding up th DH ( still a problem!) , slower riders etc. Problem is that I was trying to do a timed run down the DH track. At least when I shouted out the runners did get out of the way, except the one with the ipod.

I suppose the trail runners have no idea about the debates back and forward and the amount of work and time that's gone into those trails.

ja got too agree when it was built by downhill okes they should have right

Other trails should be shared, strange how it all changes, back in 1998 i used to stay in Sivermine military accommodation gain the mountain and Tokai was were i did all my training

Back then you would hardly ever see bikes, mostly some going up oukaapse weg, now they all or mostly all offroad

@jimmy

Someone can get seriously hurt.

I agree that DH tracks must be strictly regulated. But how?

i run and i ride

maak ma plek vir mekaar sal ek se

meeste van daai paaie is gedraf voor dit begin ry is so jy kan altwee kante toe stry oor die topic

Ek skreeu ma gewoonlik as ek iemand sien en dan gee hulle pad, net so met stadige ryers en honde

mens moet ma almal hulle plek gee om te doen wat hulle wil

The question is why run on a purpose built trail when many other options exist in areas MTB is not allowed? Safety has already been presented as a reasoning. With Tokai's 4000 entries/month it is safer than elsewhere.

1998? Yes, that was when many of these trails were built...

I think we should all just play nicely together, whether it is cyclists sharing the road with motorists or the trails with runners or horses or people walking their dogs. Lets just try to be polite and courteous, we are all just trying to relax and do whatever it is we enjoy doing.

My 2c

I think we should all just play nicely together, whether it is cyclists sharing the road with motorists or the trails with runners or horses or people walking their dogs. Lets just try to be polite and courteous, we are all just trying to relax and do whatever it is we enjoy doing.

My 2c

Until someone gets hurt?

Are there not dedicated trail run/hiking sections on Tokai.

Under the impression that theres a multitude of trail running areas in and around CT, or am I wrong on that one?

I think trail runners should stick to the running/hiking trails, and mtb'ers to the mtb trails, because if not sooner or later someone's gonna gets hurt.

Mtb'ers know which trails they can and can't ride (most of them anyway) so I think trail runners should do the same.

There are so many places in Tokai that we are not allowed to go, I feel that I have right of way on the mountain bike specific single track.

I came face to face with 2 horses on Fairie Garden a while ago. I thought that seeing as they had the size and weight advantage, I should move. But I was really annoyed with that.

(Or am I wrong about them being mtb specific?)

I don't really have a problem with trail runners if they are courteous and give way. DH trails are another matter.

Horses on MTB trails are an absolute no-no!!!