My new single speed build

BogusOne

So a while back i decided its time to build a single speed bike. Now you you will probably think ja ja just another bike build. BUT there is a whole new twist to this story......

This one i am really building from scratch from the ground up. Yes im building my very own frame from scratch whistling.gif

So the 1st question was what would i use to buildunsure.png Steel is cool but to find the right tubing locally is not an option.... not to mention alu tubing.....

SOOOO i opted to go the carbon route. Cutting up an old frame to use the head tube and dropouts etc came to mind to make the build easier but i thought to myself where is the fun in that so i started making all the parts from carbon. Tapered head tube, bb shell, slotted dropouts WITH disc mount tabs the lot! clap.gif

So here are some photos to show you where i am at with the build... Follow to see updates as i go along and feel free to comment on the build.....

Sorry bout the shitty pics....wacko.png

post-7810-0-52797200-1352922657_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-37255300-1352922723_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-37746000-1352922825_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-86036500-1352922878_thumb.jpg

post-7810-0-13941700-1352922987_thumb.jpg

Edited by BogusOne

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to you! Very ambitious project and one i am really looking forward to see happen.

What are you basing the geometry on?

I looked at a couple of frames but settled on the Niner Air 9 carbon's geometry. But with a twist.... Going ISP... If the ISP doesnt work out ill just cut it off and stick a seatpost in there as i made provision for it. The seat tube inside diameter is 30,9 so standard seatpost works in there.

Cost to date including all the hardware to build the jig is still under R1200

thumbup1.gif I know it's still far away but, any thoughts on the finish?

Looking good, would it be a good idea to pop in a foam insert of sorts at the head tube junction between the down and top tubes, then wrap this up in carbon to form a stout gusset/brace ......just for safety sake.

Weldone on taking on this project and sharing it with us!

That is pure awesomeness. If it got any cooler and I'd be fainting like a school girl at a Justin Beiber concert.

Nice work! Keep us posted!

Admin - can we peg this?

Front Triangle... the easy part....

Now the rear...if you need some help let me know.

Its brave and will be awesome when it comes right. How are you doing the gussets?

Edited by kennyg

mirroring others here - how are you going to gusset the frame? You will need to do quite a bit of wrapping in the BB / Headtube / seat tube areas in order for it to be strong enough to ride properly...