Snakes on a plane... err... trail

Greggvdw

We found this snake on the trail at Modderfontein last weekend. Looked like it had been killed by some sort of bird/animal. A lot of the tail end of it had been eaten. And then a few meters down the road, another just like it, killed in the same way.

Any snake experts out there to identify species?

(The picture doesnt do it any justice in terms of size, was about as thick as my arm.)

post-447-0-34500700-1353334161_thumb.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Bushpig

Cobra of some sort; distinctively shaped head. Hard to be specific without seeing it in the flesh. Not many grow as thick as your arm; possibly an Egyptian(not sure if they occur here). Mongooses kill them easily but it's more likely to have been killed by something with two legs.

BLACK LIKE THAT, MOST LIKELY A RHINKALS COBRA

.http://www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/rink.jpg

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Cobra of some sort; distinctively shaped head. Hard to be specific without seeing it in the flesh. Not many grow as thick as your arm; possibly an Egyptian(not sure if they occur here). Mongooses kill them easily but it's more likely to have been killed by something with two legs.

OMG .. a Bigfoot or Yeti? ;)

Seriously though ... finding a big boy like that and it's partner in crime very close by and then both killed in a similar fashion is odd.

PUFFADDER HAS GEOMETRIC DESIGNS, VERY DISTINCTIVE

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/10005/mini-Puff%20adder%20gauteng.jpg

Yeah there are plenty of Mongoose around there so I hope it was that. I am no expert, but it didnt look like it was killed by a human. Also there are pretty much only mountain bikers going through this reserve so I hope none of them would do something like this.

OMG .. a Bigfoot or Yeti? wink.png

Seriously though ... finding a big boy like that and it's partner in crime very close by and then both killed in a similar fashion is odd.

Stupid question - but could it not have been the other half?

Edited by SyncSA

Judging by its colour I'd say Rinkhals. Did you see the colour on the underside?

The underside was black and every now and then a white strip. Much like the picture above. I was always under the impression that a rinkhals was skinnier.

I thought a puffy, but not sure with coloring like that?

Saw the info RE: the underside after posting.

Problems with Rinkhals is that they like to "play dead". That one looks properly dead tho.

Edited by Jigghead

Guest The Bushpig

OMG .. a Bigfoot or Yeti? wink.png Or a Secretary Bird that watched too much Riverdance. ;)

I once lived in an area where we had Huge Egyptian Cobras; we would often see two quite close to the same Antheap. Killed like that; yes, odd. Probably one really PO'ed Mongoose, although they normally are quite happy to eat a snake, and understand that the head needs to be destroyed to render that snake safe.