Converting a 26" to a 650B

edkin

Has anybody considered converting their 26" into a 650B?

I have been considering it but not too much has revealed itself in either pro or con.

Besides the very necessary clearances needed, What I've found so far.

1) The BB is lifted higher off the ground (Don't know if thats good or bad)

2) Bike manufacturers claim that the different angles created place strain on areas that they haven't strengthened. As a result warranty is voided. (Don't know if this is hype or truth)

3) Cost of conversion is about R5000. (Not sure if the added benefit justifies the cost. It might make so little difference to the ride its not worth it.

Has anybody done such a conversion?

Any feedback or opinions will be appreciated

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What frame and fork do you have it might not even be possible to do the conversion.

I've checked the clearances. The fox fork has got enough clearance. The back also fits so thats not a problem

Ok then Do it.

As for the higher BB - I doubt you'll feel a major difference

Frame warranty - keep the 26'' wheels and if the frame cracks (it wont) put the 26'' wheels back on.

As for benefit - Ask The Bloody Agent he did the conversion on his Wilier recently

I building a new 650B Scalpel from a 2012 26" Scalpel Frame, word from the MTBR forums its works well

Issue will be reduced mud clearance. although I have vowed to avoid mud like bubonic plaque.

Ok then Do it.

As for the higher BB - I doubt you'll feel a major difference

Frame warranty - keep the 26'' wheels and if the frame cracks (it wont) put the 26'' wheels back on.

As for benefit - Ask The Bloody Agent he did the conversion on his Wilier recently

Great. I'll try and get hold of him. Thanks

I building a new 650B Scalpel from a 2012 26" Scalpel Frame, word from the MTBR forums its works well

Issue will be reduced mud clearance. although I have vowed to avoid mud like bubonic plaque.

Checking out the MTBR forums. A wealth of info. Much obliged for the link

I am almost finished converting a Scott Spark 35 to a 650. I went for the Scott as it has a BB adjustment clip but to be honest I doubt that this will be required. I also checked all geometry and spces between the Scott 650 specific MTB and the Spark. Almost all measurements were very close to identical. The headset angle was the made up the largest difference but in real terms was very slight. Should be riding it this weekend if all goes well and will report back.

I am almost finished converting a Scott Spark 35 to a 650. I went for the Scott as it has a BB adjustment clip but to be honest I doubt that this will be required. I also checked all geometry and spces between the Scott 650 specific MTB and the Spark. Almost all measurements were very close to identical. The headset angle was the made up the largest difference but in real terms was very slight. Should be riding it this weekend if all goes well and will report back.

Hi snoop01

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. Most importantly. Do the benefits justify the expense? As a matter of interest, how much did it cost you to do the conversion?

Will the new HA be slacker or steeper after the conversion and did you use a 26'er fork or a dedicated 27.5"?

Hi snoop01

Looking forward to hearing your feedback. Most importantly. Do the benefits justify the expense? As a matter of interest, how much did it cost you to do the conversion?

I had that spark 35 that snoop has now got and I had it as a 650b (sold the wheels to a friend with a Santa Cruz who is loving them) I did a few races with it and you can feel the difference, long flat sections is where you see the biggest difference. You can add about an extra 6 km/h before you spin out. It does also roll better over rocks not as good as a 29er but better than a 26er.

Also think of doing this for a single speed. Why would the angles change? Everything stays the same but the whole platform is just lifted by 0.75"?

The setup was originally quite "racey" so I have replaced the RLT with a Talas. I will be able to test the bikes performance with 100mm, 120mm and 140mm travel in front. I did this as I noticed that quite a few 650 specific bikes came standard with longer travel forks. I have also replaced the flat bar with a 1/4" raised carbon Easton bar so I am hoping that the bike could be used for a SANI or smashing some local trails. So far total cost with a set of new Crest ZTR's will come in at around R21k. Anyway we will see this weekend :)

The setup was originally quite "racey" so I have replaced the RLT with a Talas. I will be able to test the bikes performance with 100mm, 120mm and 140mm travel in front. I did this as I noticed that quite a few 650 specific bikes came standard with longer travel forks. I have also replaced the flat bar with a 1/4" raised carbon Easton bar so I am hoping that the bike could be used for a SANI or smashing some local trails. So far total cost with a set of new Crest ZTR's will come in at around R21k. Anyway we will see this weekend :)

Yet ads. A that price why don't you just buy a new bike?

Archived