Attempted mugging in Tokai

megdobson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dammit man.

But seriously - Friday nights are not designated night ride nights. People should begin to adhere to the rules.

Yes, easy targets, and *** that it happened. Hope the okes are caught, but it can't be patrolled each and every day at each and every point. Especially if nobody should be riding there at the time.

I was up there when it happened. The guy got a seriously hard smack in the face and ran off in the direction of Swaanswyk. I alerted Mountain Men patrolling the SWyk area with a description.

Skinny c/m wearing dark tracksuit, age estimated earl/mid 20's. Happened in the area of the big berm on Vasbyt. Guy ran out the bushes and cyclist saw him in the corner of his eye. Cyclist bailed, grabbed guy and applied swift defensive measures. Guy fell to the ground and stumbled back up running.

dammit man.

But seriously - Friday nights are not designated night ride nights. People should begin to adhere to the rules.

Yes, easy targets, and *** that it happened. Hope the okes are caught, but it can't be patrolled each and every day at each and every point. Especially if nobody should be riding there at the time.

Time was between 6 - 6:30.

This is getting worse, along with the bicycles getting stolen in/around Cape Town.

Comes back to my question about the service you paying SANparks for.......maybe the money is going into the president R200m house....

Hope something is done to the useless c@#%s.

Maybe PoS should dig some extra holes on the next trail build day.

These effing *****, Swift01's niece, only 12 was hijacked whilst riding with her mom, the effer came at her with an axe!

These effing *****, Swift01's niece, only 12 was hijacked whilst riding with her mom, the effer came at her with an axe!

Geez Mackie, that is hectic!

Let's keep in perspective that anything can happen! The way the incident played out in Tokai yesterday was as a result of the situation at hand. If you feel at any point that you might be threatened, do as you think will preserve life!! Life first!!

This is so sad. It's getting harder and harder to cycle on one's own around Cape Town. Glad the cyclist is ok and gave the mugger a good fist.

How frustrating. Unfortunately once these vermin get wind of easy targets and these sorts of places, like rats, they will keep coming back. Start to use force, they bring their own. Start to patrol the area, the find another spot.

I think the only solution is to ride in groups of 4 and up. Definitely don't ride on non designated nights and always alert officials of any suspicious rats lurking around.

Could these emergency numbers please be posted as a sticky on the Tokai forum?

Stay safe people, and please let's not start bringing our M9's to the trails. There are children around.

" alert official of any suspicious rats....... ," we would not have these issues if the ." officials" gave a rats ass.... Even when we get systematically getting hit

I posted on twitter: "TMNP has announced its intention to extend the reach of patrol dogs into the Central, South & Marine sections of the Park"

This was taken from the visitor safety passing out parade article. If you have time, it's an interesting read and shows the success of adding dogs to the patrols. At the parade, the patrol dog demonstration inspired the city to suggest it would donate 4 more dogs... spur of the moment stuff!

PASSING OUT PARADE, 28 NOVEMBER 2012

TMNP DOG UNIT

A year and a half ago, TMNP was hiring 5 dogs to aid with visitor safety. Now they own 11 dogs, with their own Ranger Handlers trained to Dog Handler level 4 and 5. This is the result of a partnership between SANParks, the SANParks Honorary Rangers, and the many groups and individuals who have sponsored the TMNP dog unit.

Every dog is an extra Ranger on patrol. A Ranger and his dog can and often do work together to arrest 2 or more criminals between them. A dog can keep one criminal at bay while the Ranger arrests and handcuffs his accomplice.

A dog can flush out suspects – you can’t hide from a dog – he will sniff you out. They go into empty buildings and caves, and warn the ranger if there is anyone around – in other words a dog secures the area. A dog can track people – people who commit crimes in the Park, as well as people who commit crimes in the city and hide in the Park.

The dogs are gun-trained and have helped with arrests of armed robbers. They immediately react when confronted with someone wielding a knife.

The bad elements in the Park are giving way and moving off – they are under pressure because of the dogs.

The dogs have had a significant impact on crime on the mountain. The media and citizens of Cape Town have developed a much more positive attitude to SANParks and their response to crime on the mountain.

Everyone shows respect to a Ranger with a dog. The morale of the Rangers is significantly higher – they have at once a friend, a protector, and a weapon next to them on patrol.

I would like to salute the following people especially:

TMNP and SANParks management, for their commitment and support for the dog unit: Paddy Gordon, Gary de Kock, Paul Daphne and Dr David Mabunda.

Waterfront Rotary, represented here by Robin Gilfillan, who came in right at the beginning and built the kennels.

Hills Pet Nutrition, who supply dog food under a very advantageous arrangement.

Shamiel Majiet and his Di Canini Kennels, who has supplied and trained these dogs, and supplied them at a special price.

Rogz for the dogs’ new clothes.

Dr Melissa Charles, Afrivet, Five Star, Bayer, Wynberg Rotary Inner Circle, Trail Club SA, Green Point Rate Payers Association, the sponsors of the individual dogs who will be named when you meet the dogs.

The Ranger Handlers under the leadership of Ranger Sergeant Clive Morris. We salute you.

Hilton Blumeris, the Senior Section Ranger in charge of Visitor Safety, you are the one who made the Dog Unit happen. Hilton, it is a pleasure and an honour to work with you. We salute you.

And the Honorary Ranger who ran the whole campaign, Sue Smith. This dog unit as we see it now has come into being through your passion and commitment.

Your job is not finished. TMNP has announced its intention to extend the reach of patrol dogs into the Central, South and Marine sections of the Park. We will need another set of kennels, and a lot more dogs. I know you have already committed yourself to the next phase, to help to make the whole Park safe for all its visitors. We salute you too.

" alert official of any suspicious rats....... ," we would not have these issues if the ." officials" gave a rats ass.... Even when we get systematically getting hit

Your opinion alludes to your lack of knowledge on the subject. A pity really, because the officials are making a difference.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I see from your location your predicament. Let's just hope then that TMNP and it's proactive approach reaches JHB.. Agreed that some officials give the impression of not taking this threat seriously. Not seriously at all!

Edited by Pain or Shine

I have been "attempted" jacked twice, once I guy ran after me with a huge panga!!! After he took a swing at me luckily missing me hitting my wheel so hard he bent the rim( road bike) when I reported it the officials response was..... So nothing was taken???

Second time there was a noose set head height on a drop off, made out of cable, there was a tree cut down and placed so if I saw it I would grab the " tree" to stop myself....obviously pulling me into the noose...with 2 fu%#€# sitting at the bottom ,went to local police station there response was needless to say less than ideal,"oh ja we believe it's happening in the area" basically yes we know oh well,!!