Another noob just starting out...

breaker

Hey everyone, as with everything new I do these days, I head off to a forum to learn a bit more before buying, thehub came highly recommended, so thats why I'm here.

Been reading through a few threads and it sort of has helped but also added a bit more Q's which I suppose is a good thing.

So enough beating around the bush:

This is the first time I'm getting into biking and I need a bunch of stuff biking related to get into the sport. My plan is to do my first Argus next year, but there after gonna be doing more trails than anything else, guys in the office have been talking about places like deer park, magic forrest and tokai.

So on to the bikes - Budget +- R6k, I would think this should be good enough to get into and not too much to loose if it doesn't take off. I'm 1.74cm tall and weigh about 70kgs which I believe puts me on a Medium 29er / 26er(more on that later).

I've been to a few lbs's in cape town and the one bike seeming to pop up most is the Giant Revel 0 29er - lowest if seen is R6200, so anything else I've seen I've sort of been comparing to this. I was quite set on this, until alternatives have been popping up some being more expensive and some cheaper:

Axis A40 for R6750 and Felt Q720 2011 online special for R5k.

So as you can see there are so many options and add to that the debates:

- of 2013 vs 2012(which the lbs are running out of),

- supposedly 26er higher spec for same price of a newer 29er lower spec

- and just recently the new from a lbs vs second hand (the few people I spoke to offered the opinion that you don't necessarily know what you are buying and possibly if it was a road bike second hand will be ok, but being a mtb you don't know what sort of crash tests its been through)

Sorry for the essay guys, just trying to provide as much insight into my situation.

So I suppose to start off with I'd like advice on getting said entry level bike for a start, I also need apparel like shorts sunglasses and a bike carrier, but more on that later.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality, start with this. Be honest with yourself. No really. Be brutally honest.

Exactly what kind of riding do you want to do ? Exactly what do you want to commit to riding a bike ? As I said be honest. Riding on the dirt roads around town is ok. But if you think you are going to be doing jumps and pumping single track, and you can be HONEST in how much you can devote, you are half way there in making a decision.

Having said this, spend what you can afford now on a bike (nothing wrong with second hand, you can always get advice from the hub). If you can prove to yourself that you like the sport, can see things going further and giving more time to the sport, upgrade. Because once you start, its all ummmm downhill from there.

Well R6k can get get you something decent, we will not get into the 26vs29 debate, but to give an answer you can get a very decent bike with discs, decent components for around that mark. Shop around, you will get a better deal on the 2012 models, and in my opinion that would be the way to if you starting out, BUT, i have seen that the prices the 2013 models are going for are also great, again just see what the best deal you can get. I have a family memeber who has just started and they go a great deal on a Scott 26er with decent components, for around the 6k mark.

As for buying new or second hand, i would go for the brand new, you get a warranty with the bike and you are the first person riding it, so if there is issues you can always take it back to your local LBS>

Not sure if that helped you in anyway..

In reality, start with this. Be honest with yourself. No really. Be brutally honest.

Exactly what kind of riding do you want to do ? Exactly what do you want to commit to riding a bike ? As I said be honest. Riding on the dirt roads around town is ok. But if you think you are going to be doing jumps and pumping single track, and you can be HONEST in how much you can devote, you are half way there in making a decision.

Having said this, spend what you can afford now on a bike (nothing wrong with second hand, you can always get advice from the hub). If you can prove to yourself that you like the sport, can see things going further and giving more time to the sport, upgrade. Because once you start, its all ummmm downhill from there.

+1 what Slow said.

and dont forget that:

Helmet, Shoes, Gloves, Hydration (if you need) is going to cost anything from 2k

Kit - cycling pants (R500) and tops (R350 +)

so you need to allocate about R3k to non-bike purchases

I can be brutally honest and say I have no idea what riding I would want to doblush.png, I suppose I'll only know once I've experienced it first hand.

We've just had our first baby about 4 months ago so time is even more limited than before. As for affordability like I said 6k.

Like I said, I see myself doing the argus, oh and not forgetting the Xtreme sprint triathlon before that, and the more I explore the trails the more I'll be able to see what works for me and what doesn't.

Well R6k can get get you something decent, we will not get into the 26vs29 debate, but to give an answer you can get a very decent bike with discs, decent components for around that mark. Shop around, you will get a better deal on the 2012 models, and in my opinion that would be the way to if you starting out, BUT, i have seen that the prices the 2013 models are going for are also great, again just see what the best deal you can get. I have a family memeber who has just started and they go a great deal on a Scott 26er with decent components, for around the 6k mark.

As for buying new or second hand, i would go for the brand new, you get a warranty with the bike and you are the first person riding it, so if there is issues you can always take it back to your local LBS>

Not sure if that helped you in anyway..

I agree being new to the sport I'll have a bit more piece of mind buying from a lbs. Most salesmen are doing their job I suppose i.e. not really offering 2012 models and when I ask its always a case of "nah we don't really have anything that you are looking for - price wise"???

What I'm after is the something decent, so suggestions on models and places to check them out would be great thanx. Where did your family member get the Scott from?

and dont forget that:

Helmet, Shoes, Gloves, Hydration (if you need) is going to cost anything from 2k

Kit - cycling pants (R500) and tops (R350 +)

so you need to allocate about R3k to non-bike purchases

I've bought a helmet and gloves, still need to get cycling pants and top and sunglasses as a priority - bike rack I can't afford now, need to get past the xmas madness first.

Breaker,

The hub may also add a lot of confusion to your choices, don’t over think it TOO much, just go with what feels right.

I’m not saying don’t shop about - take one of your mates that is realistic, knowledgeable & has a open mind (26 vs 29 debate) and go off to the bike store get him as well as the LBS to recommend a 29er and a 26er, ride them and see how u feel. The fact that u are looking at starting out and this is your first bit of exposure, you don’t need a full on, tricked out bike with all the bells and whistles.

Stick you your budget - Its always very easy to exceed if you are tempted and know that no matter what you buy now, if you really get into the sport - you gonna want something else in 6-8 months. Don’t obsess with saving a few grams here and there ... that really doesn’t matter ... whatever you buy, you gonna have a good time!

With the shoes, pants hydration - don’t stress too much about that right now.

Hope you come right and let us know what you eventually purchase, and how you come along.

He got it from A place in boksburg, and i see you in Cape town, so it wouldnt help you much. But what ottocs says is hundred percent, stick to budget, cause its very easy for a salesman to sell you something more expensive that you dont need at this moment. I always shop around for the best prices with everything, so i know you can get a good bike for that price. Deals also dependant on your negotiating skills wink.png !

Pants and tops etc again, shop around, some LBS shops have sales on the previous years kit, so you could score shorts for like R250..

I've bought a helmet and gloves, still need to get cycling pants and top and sunglasses as a priority - bike rack I can't afford now, need to get past the xmas madness first.

cool - when i first started, I cycled in shorts and shirts and only bought shoes after about 6 months...so dont fret too much about all that

PM'd you re glasses and bike rack.

spend some time looking around your local lbs, they often have basement baskets where you can pick up cycling kit and other items really cheaply

Any advice on the bikes I mentioned? Giant Revel 0 29er, Axis A40 any others I should be looking at?

Would it help if I were to ask what would the best value bike be for about R6k, medium 29er hard tail, atleast a deore derailer and hydraulic brakes?

Any advice on the bikes I mentioned? Giant Revel 0 29er, Axis A40 any others I should be looking at?

Would it help if I were to ask what would the best value bike be for about R6k, medium 29er hard tail, atleast a deore derailer and hydraulic brakes?

Titan