Single Speed - what gears to start with

Paul Ruinaard

So as a SS Noob, not that fit, but wnating to engage the fun side of MTB, I have my new SS ready.

The question I have is: on a 26 inch wheel what sort fo geairng do you recommend I start with ? I am looking at the ratio?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a 26" SS, if the roads you ride are relatively flat: 32x16, if not (or you do not feel really strong), 32x18

Try 32 x 16 and see how you go. Depends on the terrain and type of riding. If in and around jhb, NF, the spruit etc you should do most on 32 x 16, if not strong, then 32 x 18 but expect to spin a lot the bigger the gearing.

Have a look on your geared ride to see what ring and cog you climb best in. Will be a good starting point for your fitness level.

also a SS noob - im building a SS from an old 26" MTB using the 32T chainring from a Shimano 9 speed triple Crankset. What would be the best (budget friendly) option for the rear sprocket and tensioner - also what chain do i need , will a normal 9 speed chain do? or must i look at a thicker BMX style chain?

also a SS noob - im building a SS from an old 26" MTB using the 32T chainring from a Shimano 9 speed triple Crankset. What would be the best (budget friendly) option for the rear sprocket and tensioner - also what chain do i need , will a normal 9 speed chain do? or must i look at a thicker BMX style chain?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009

And slap a 9speed chain on...

Try 32 x 16 and see how you go. Depends on the terrain and type of riding. If in and around jhb, NF, the spruit etc you should do most on 32 x 16, if not strong, then 32 x 18 but expect to spin a lot the bigger the gearing.

Have a look on your geared ride to see what ring and cog you climb best in. Will be a good starting point for your fitness level.

ha ha

small ring front - big ring back blush.png

Anyway will play around - plan N farm as a start. for a ride this weekend

www.dialdbike.co.za and search for DMR single speed conversion kit, currently selling R356 (am on my iPad, so can't post the direct link). Kit will have tensioner, spacers and 16 cog

http://dialdbikes.co.za/?desktop&dispatch=products.view&product_id=38

Edit, updated link and cheaper than CRC

Edited by shaper

DMR kit and 9 speed chain.

Bmx chain is wider and runs better with a 1/8" sprocket (I run mine with a 3/32" SS specific chainring & 1/8" sprocket), but can run on 3/32" chain ring and sprocket. Can't run a 3/32" chain on 1/8" sprockets or chain rings.

Edited by Ryanpmb