Tapered fork with Non-tapered frame

Enigma77

Hi guys.

I know this sounds like a stupid question. But is it possible to run a tapered fork(DT Swiss Xmm 100mm 150mm steerer) with a none tapered frame, 2011 Scott Scale team 29er. I have seen different reviews and a local cycle shop says its impossible but came across this article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/

Anyone know more about this?? Please.

Guest Omega Man

What is the diameter of the head tube?

If it's 1.5 inches or tapered you can and I suggest you fire your bike shop.

Cane Creek make reducer headsets for this. But only if your head tube is 1.5.

Edited by Omega Man

What I know about these things are scary. I doubt the LBS im going to knows much more to be honest with you. So if my headtube extends 1.5 inches? Sorry Im really ignorant about this.And thanks so much for the help.

Fail

It won't work.

Cane Creek make a REDUCER, to make a smaller fork downtube into a larger OD tube

That headset will raise your whole bike's front, to make the bigger bottom bearing fit.

My advice, do not even go that route.

Whole bike's characteristics will change, due to that the headtube angle, stackheight and handling will change.

Dont do it...

Edited by NINER_boy

Guest Omega Man

Fail

It won't work.

Cane Creek make a REDUCER, to make a smaller fork downtube into a larger OD tube

So the whole time I was running a tapered fork in my STRAIGHT headtube bike i was imagining it? If you look at my post you'll notice that i asked if his head tube diameter is 1.5 inches. If it is you CAN run a tapered fork.

I still have the headset. swhould I take a picture of it?

Guest Omega Man

That headset will raise your whole bike's front, to make the bigger bottom bearing fit.

Ja. I just looked at the headset I have that used to go on my tapered fork with straigtht 1.5 head tube and it raises the bikes front end about 10mm.

Guest Omega Man

Don't fire your lbs yet

Hehe. was just messing. The LBS is probly right cos the head tube on that bike is probly 1.1/8 th.

Edited by Omega Man

Hope supplies a pick & mix headset provided the frame is a 1.5" headtube.

Quite a rare find on bikes these days.

Hi guys.

I know this sounds like a stupid question. But is it possible to run a tapered fork(DT Swiss Xmm 100mm 150mm steerer) with a none tapered frame, 2011 Scott Scale team 29er. I have seen different reviews and a local cycle shop says its impossible but came across this article.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-18in-head-tubes-25275/

Anyone know more about this?? Please.

Not possible.

It can be done the other way round, ie tapered frame with a straight fork

No, not possible.

Small hole with BIG peg...

Otherway round yes

It is actually possible, depending on the frame. A 44mm head tube can run a headset that is compatible with a straight steerer or a headset that is compatible with a tapered steerer.

So, as some have mentioned, if your head tube is wide enough you can fit the appropriate headset in to accommodate the tapered fork steerer.

Trouble is, if you're referring to the Scott in your Avatar picture then I doubt this is possible as that head tube will be too narrow and will be straight steerer specific.

Fail

It won't work.

Cane Creek, Hope & Nukeproof make reducing headsets where both the actual cups bring the head tube diameter down to a standard straight steerer.

What you are thinking of is a reducing spacer that runs on a straight steerer to allow this to fit a tapered headset.

There's to differing spacing options here - your reducer that fits to the steerer and the actual reducing headsets.

Thanks guys for the info. Unfortunately it is the Scott in my avatar. So ill be selling my Scott frame and rock shox tora 29er...... No choice

Thanks guys for the info. Unfortunately it is the Scott in my avatar. So ill be selling my Scott frame and rock shox tora 29er...... No choice

Why are you selling both?

Either replace the frame to match the fork or replace the fork to match the frame...