LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Agree that corn based oils are not for me.

If you mean oils from cereal grains, then corn (maize) is just one of them (other cereal grains = wheat, barley, rye, sorghum, etc.).

But the ones I was talking about (canola, soya, sunflower, etc) are called oilseeds.

What they all have in common, though, is how bad they all are for us in general.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean oils from cereal grains, then corn (maize) is just one of them (other cereal grains = wheat, barley, rye, sorghum, etc.).

But the ones I was talking about (canola, soya, sunflower, etc) are called oilseeds.

What they all have in common, though, is how bad they all are for us in general.

Sorry, was a bit vague about what's nasty ... yes, pretty much anything commonly called 'vegetable' oils, so all the ones you mentioned above. iirc, they are all poly-unsaturates.

Olive, coconut, macadamia & avocado oils are what I generally believe are lots better for you, and make up a large portion of calories in my diet. All easy to source and versatile enough to use in many dishes.

Sorry, was a bit vague about what's nasty ... yes, pretty much anything commonly called 'vegetable' oils, so all the ones you mentioned above. iirc, they are all poly-unsaturates.

Olive, coconut, macadamia & avocado oils are what I generally believe are lots better for you, and make up a large portion of calories in my diet. All easy to source and versatile enough to use in many dishes.

Agreed :).

EDIT: Strike that. TBH the large portion of my fat calories come from animal fats. The only other fats I have in safe abundance are coconut oil and macnut butter. I like olive and avo oil, but since both have around 10% PUFA content, I tend to have them in moderation.

Edited by tombeej

For those people new to this thread and are wondering what the hell we're going on about re. polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), here's a good place to start:

Article 1: 'Death by vegetable oil' - How too much Omega 6 is making us sick.

Article 2: Mark Sisson on PUFAs.

Article 3: Omega 6 Oils: The Burglars of Health

-- A couple of points I disagree with in this particular article:

(1) The belief that you can simply increase your intake of O3's to cancel out too much O6's in your system (no, you can't - too much PUFAs of any kind is too much), and

(2) Flaxseed is a good source of O3's (no, it's not).

Ok, I think that's enough spam from me for now. Bye :)

Exactly 2 weeks today on LCHF and feeling good so far.

I've upped my salt intake and I'm feeling my energy returning slowly. Each day gets a bit easier.

The best part is the improvement in my skin. It's amazing how in just 2 weeks, my skin has cleared up and feels more supple.... and dare I say it, the 'fine lines' around my eyes even seem to have softened a bit (maybe that's just my hopeful imagination) :blush:

Now to see how I feel on the bike tomorrow. Last week I had to abandon my ride at 20kms because I was just completely drained of energy.

Exactly 2 weeks today on LCHF and feeling good so far.

Now to see how I feel on the bike tomorrow. Last week I had to abandon my ride at 20kms because I was just completely drained of energy.

I have to be a prophet of doom, but don't hold your breath for an energetic ride tomorrow. You are probably at the lowest point right now in terms of your body's ability to use fat for energy ... the reliance on carbs is going (so you feel better), but the conversion is not complete - that takes a while longer.

Good news is you're at the bottom of the dip .... it gets better from here.

My suggestion is go for a really slow ride tomorrow ... just idle along. stay at around 60-70% HR-max. What this does is makes very sure your body will not try to look for carbs to burn, but rather burn fat. It takes real patience, just enjoy the scenery and tootle along.

I have to be a prophet of doom, but don't hold your breath for an energetic ride tomorrow. You are probably at the lowest point right now in terms of your body's ability to use fat for energy ... the reliance on carbs is going (so you feel better), but the conversion is not complete - that takes a while longer.

Good news is you're at the bottom of the dip .... it gets better from here.

My suggestion is go for a really slow ride tomorrow ... just idle along. stay at around 60-70% HR-max. What this does is makes very sure your body will not try to look for carbs to burn, but rather burn fat. It takes real patience, just enjoy the scenery and tootle along.

I'm exercising loads of patience already! I thought the weight would just fall off me... apparently not :blush:

Thanks for the advice, I'll go enjoy the scenery :thumbup:

I'm exercising loads of patience already! I thought the weight would just fall off me... apparently not :blush:

It kind of depends how much you have to loose .... :whistling:

Most folk here are cyclists (duh!) so are in reasonable shape already. Losing 20kg's when you have 15%body fat may not be terribly realistic.

I should really have expanded more on the post above in terms of training load from here on in.

You have done the hard yards ito LCHF; the first 2-3 weeks are the worst. Well done for hanging in there.

Now, what is really important is to manage the training load until you are fully burning fat efficiently. For everyday living that may only be another 2-3 weeks, but for exercising, that may be another few MONTHS!

My experience is that the best way to accelerate this process is to adopt a Maffetone style program. This means staying below your carb burning threshold for around 2 months. For me that means slow riding, even slower hills and definitely no MTB.

This approach will give you the best chance at a quick transition and also get you back to normal training the quickest.

Also helps burn fat :clap: so the inches reduce

Carb threshold HR is roughly 180-age. There was some discussion here about Maffetone's methods. Generally considered good, but not easy.

Tim Ferriss says that on his diet (LC, reasonable ptn, some fat) that one of the causes of failing to lose weight is lack of protein.

My weight has climbed slightly (but have also been doing some gym, plus a lot of training for Berg and Bush) - have gained maybe 2kg. My belt is not significantly tighter, but I figured that I'd give a bit more ptn a go (although my diet is not low in ptn)

He says that you need to have ptn within 30 mins of waking, and that the easiest way to do this is to have a ptn shake with cold water. I've started this and the weight seems to be coming back to normal (who's to say that is not because I'm in recovery week after BnB and out of gym?) but I'm just putting it out there.

I normally eat my breakfast approx 2 - 3 hours after I wake up - not particularly hungry on LCHF, so no rush.

Am wondering what the effect would be of adding cream to the shake, because, why not.

However, will stick with water for a week or two and will see what happens. Will be back in the gym and training for 94.7 from Monday.

May try the cream shake post 94.7.

stupid question: where do I buy coconut oil?

Whatever brand you buy, just make sure it's always 'cold pressed virgin'.

It kind of depends how much you have to loose .... :whistling:

Most folk here are cyclists (duh!) so are in reasonable shape already. Losing 20kg's when you have 15%body fat may not be terribly realistic.

I should really have expanded more on the post above in terms of training load from here on in.

You have done the hard yards ito LCHF; the first 2-3 weeks are the worst. Well done for hanging in there.

Now, what is really important is to manage the training load until you are fully burning fat efficiently. For everyday living that may only be another 2-3 weeks, but for exercising, that may be another few MONTHS!

My experience is that the best way to accelerate this process is to adopt a Maffetone style program. This means staying below your carb burning threshold for around 2 months. For me that means slow riding, even slower hills and definitely no MTB.

This approach will give you the best chance at a quick transition and also get you back to normal training the quickest.

Also helps burn fat :clap: so the inches reduce

Carb threshold HR is roughly 180-age. There was some discussion here about Maffetone's methods. Generally considered good, but not easy.

I've done a fair amount of Maffetone style training, and have benefited from it.

I've however, now created my own version (Tappetone :) ).

The reason for this is that:

a. I am weak on hills,

b. with Maffetone you end up riding s-l-o-w-l-y up hills, managing your HR.

This seemed a wasted opportunity to me, so I've designated one hill on my commute to work (Munro Drive) as a 'hill', and a hill on the way home as a 'hill' and these two 'hills' I attack. All other hills are designated 'flat' and I ride up them at Maffetone HR.

In this way, I get the benefit of Maffetone style aerobic endurance, and am gradually getting stronger up hills. Seems to be working so far.

Maffetone says that you should never let your HR raise above the 180 - age value while doing the aerobic training. But it seems to be working ok for me.

My commute times are slowly reducing (all at Maff levels, except for the hills) and that is as good a Maffetone Performance Test or whatever he calls it, as any other. I can now maintain a 20kmh ave for my commute on Maff HR, and that is my normal (pre-Maffetone training) indicator that I am beginning to get fit. When I start regularly hitting an ave of 25kmh on Maff HR, then I'll know I'm styling.

Cholesterol...

My doctor gave my blood test results to my wife a week after I visited him, and now she is very concerned because my cholesterol measured at in at 6.6. I'm age 24.

I don't know anything about the type of tests done or what this result means but apparently it is concerning. I'll get the report from him next week.

My wife wants me to stop the 'fat diet' and start taking Procydin or Rycol. Nee dankie.

Guess I have some reading to do

Edited by P.A.K.