LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Agreed HMT, if you're burning the candle at both ends, doing back to back hard rides and not doing the necessary work to ensure you start the next ride with full glycogen stores, well then how can you then moan about tired legs and no 'zip' during the next ride.

Reminds me of that old roadie stage racing (e.g. TDF) truth: when eating on the bike during, and then and after the stage, they say "I'm eating for tomorrow".

And if you understand human physiology enough, you'll know that eating a high GI carb meal before a long hard ride or race, you are setting yourself up for a possible bonk. Plain and simple.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who are still worried about higher cholesterol on LCHF, old Jimmy Moore is really pulling the ring out of it with all the tests he is having done and so far it all seems good....

Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb

I had four cardiovascular health tests run on Wednesday: CIMT (carotid artery scan), Bone Density, Peripheral Arterial Disease and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Don't worry, I'm perfectly healthy and doing just fine. Just doing more testing to satisfy my own curiosity as well as being able to add one more piece to the puzzle about the true meaning of what my "high" cholesterol is all about.

It was a relief to FINALLY find a place that did this CIMT (an ultrasound that looks for increased thickness and plaque development) especially in my area (one of those traveling health testing companies) and was completely thrilled that Christine and I could both have it done. The cost for all four tests was around $140 each--a bargain if you ask me for a test like this. We'll be getting the results back within 21 days and I will be blogging about those when I get them. With my zero Heart Calcium Score, I don't expect any issues. We'll know soon. Stay tuned!

Finished my study with ssisa today.

The Prof himself popped in to see how I was doing on my ride.

A 2 hour at 55% ppo overnight fasted ( for me 200watts ) , they took blood every fifteen minutes and measured rer and vo2 max also.

And 2 muscle biopsies , which are eina right now !!

Was done on lchf athletes and carb fuelled athletes.

Will let you know more info once received and allowed.

Edited by McD23

I was cleaning up and throwing away some of my old stuff last night. Came across some old training notes. I once went to see a guy who was just starting up as a cycling coach. Not going to name him as he is currently still a professional coach involved with one of our local teams. Any way there was a chapter on diet and "carbo loading". Whow! I almost gagged just reading it:

"Racing:

Typical plan for carboloading (3 days prior to competition)

Day 1:

Breakfast: 2 cups of corn flakes plus cup of skimmed milk

1 cup sweetened or fresh fruit

One glass juice

Snack: 2 slices of toast with honey jam or syrup

Glass of juice or energy drink

Lunch: 2 large bread rolls and salad or potatoes and salad

A soft drink

Snack: Large raisin or hot cross bun or muffin

Dinner: 3 cups of boiled rice made into stir fry or 2 potatoes and tuna

Snack: 2 crumpets and jam

Tea or coffee"

Day 2 carries on in the same vain, but wait the best is yet to come!:

"Day 3:

Follow same plan as day 1 and 2 but switch to higher sugar cereals, juice and change to white breads."

Please help, I think I am going to be sick!

Google Drive finally synched after a week of choking through our restricted ADSL lines, however...

Vanishing of the Bees did not copy because we are out of space on this drive - yep, just under 15GB used up !

Anyway, there's enough on there to keep you busy for a while - have a great weekend !

I was cleaning up and throwing away some of my old stuff last night. Came across some old training notes. I once went to see a guy who was just starting up as a cycling coach. Not going to name him as he is currently still a professional coach involved with one of our local teams. Any way there was a chapter on diet and "carbo loading". Whow! I almost gagged just reading it:

"Racing:

Typical plan for carboloading (3 days prior to competition)

Day 1:

Breakfast: 2 cups of corn flakes plus cup of skimmed milk

1 cup sweetened or fresh fruit

One glass juice

Snack: 2 slices of toast with honey jam or syrup

Glass of juice or energy drink

Lunch: 2 large bread rolls and salad or potatoes and salad

A soft drink

Snack: Large raisin or hot cross bun or muffin

Dinner: 3 cups of boiled rice made into stir fry or 2 potatoes and tuna

Snack: 2 crumpets and jam

Tea or coffee"

Day 2 carries on in the same vain, but wait the best is yet to come!:

"Day 3:

Follow same plan as day 1 and 2 but switch to higher sugar cereals, juice and change to white breads."

Please help, I think I am going to be sick!

I'm tempted to log this in MyFitnessPal and see what one's daily intake would be.

Okay the numbers for Day 1:

Calories: 2350 (80% carbs,9% fat, 11% protein)

Fat: 23g

Carbs: 466g

Sugar: 100g

Protein: 73g

I'm tempted to log this in MyFitnessPal and see what one's daily intake would be.

Okay the numbers for Day 1:

Calories: 2350 (80% carbs,9% fat, 11% protein)

Fat: 23g

Carbs: 466g

Sugar: 100g

Protein: 73g

Sjoe! Paar sulke dae en jy is goed op pad diabetes toe!

So did my first LCHF race today. Please note that "my" racing is most probably your okes fun ride. 45 km Drak Challenge in Underberg.

Last night dinner: stew and veg.

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon and coffee.

No problems on ride, felt good all the way, only 1 bottle of water, but the weather was quite cool. Nothing to eat at all.

When I think of the cr@p I used to eat before and during a short ride/race I shudder.

Definitely on the right track (singletrack), still need to consider the Cholesterol and Statins issue.

Edited by zappa

Just another warning to those that believe all the internet "guru's " out there and also here on this thread.

Peter Attia make the following reply to a comment on his latest blog post here,

http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist

"Tim, I’m not sure I agree with your assessment, though I appreciate the length you’ve gone to in describing your experience. What you’re suggesting is that it requires more moles of oxygen per unit ATP when oxidizing fat than glucose. This is not the case. The reverse is true."

Well, actually, he, Peter Attia, is very wrong.

Glucose oxidation produces 6.3 ATP energy / O2 molecule

Fatty acid oxidation produces 4.1 ATP energy / O2 molecule

Or in other words, glucose produces 53% more net energy per molecule of Oxygen.

sources, too many to name, but 2 quick ones:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/98/13/1350a.full

http://www.heartandmetabolism.com/download/53/8.pdf

The most difficult part of LCHF is to eat with other people. We're staying with family for the week, and all meals are carb loaded. Difficult to not be a nuisance

The most difficult part of LCHF is to eat with other people. We're staying with family for the week, and all meals are carb loaded. Difficult to not be a nuisance

Best you pack in some cream, butter and olive oil. Very easy that way, all you need to do then is avoid the starch and add the fat as needed. At least the BP coffee shouldn't be too much of a nuisance.

I took revenge on Van Gaalens on the weekend, after that terrible bonk 2 weekends ago.

This time, I ate some sweet potato and butternut the night before, normal eggs and some fruit for breakfast and then a sachet of UCAN. Man, oh man, 50km later and 3.5hrs in saddle and it feels like I never broke a sweat. Jaja, we did not race, but we certainly did not ride at sunday morning levels either. It really seemed like my heart was working at a lower rate, and it showed afterwards... average of 128bpm.... Bifg diffs from a week ago of nearly 140bpm average.

So, my lesson, you need carbs for high intensity endurance activities, and UCAN is THE business.

Regards

Did teh Arabella Challenge this weekend , my first "race" since i started LCHF. Day 1 after 3 .45 hrs and 1280m climbing i consumed nothing but maybe a bottle of water and half a banana. Finished strong and felt great. Next day had eggs and sausages for breakies did 2h45 on half a bottle of water and approx 1200m climbing didnt eat a thing felt great. So far so good.