Your Enduro ride

Robodog

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! You should've just bought the frame with all the parts you've been swapping out. 

Looked into it, I've saved myself around 35-40k doing it this way and the only things I don't have which the top end 153 has is a Carbon frame, Eagle GX and a RS reverb. I can live quite happily without those three things in my life  :thumbup:

Looked into it, I've saved myself around 35-40k doing it this way and the only things I don't have which the top end 153 has is a Carbon frame, Eagle GX and a RS reverb. I can live quite happily without those three things in my life  :thumbup:

You should take her on honeymoon. To a place you'll both appreciate and enjoy. I know a guy who can recommend a location..... 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You should take her on honeymoon. To a place you'll both appreciate and enjoy. I know a guy who can recommend a location..... 

Afriski? 

Your opinion. Mine differs.

Thing is it depends on what you are comparing it to and unlike Duane not everyone can afford expensive European or North American bike park holidays............

PS: I have been to none of any of the above :ph34r:

Thing is it depends on what you are comparing it to and unlike Duane not everyone can afford expensive European or North American bike park holidays............

Lucky for you, I've done both... haha

I love Afriski, I love the PDS (Morzine etc). If I had to choose 14 days in Morzine or 14 at Afriski, Morzine would obviously win on variety, experience and many other factors, but that doesn't make Afriski **** in my eyes.

A long weekend, 5 hours drive down the road where I turn my phone and car off until I leave,  get up in the morning, roll down to the restaurant on my bike, roll to the lift and spend the day smashing runs tax free... I suddenly feel like going to Afriski now  :ph34r:

PAH. Don't you have a trackday bike? Let's not talk affordability. I sold a toy so that I could go this year. Priorities.

I'm sorry. I can't like Afriski. And I'm not comparing it to anything. I really really wanted to like it.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

A review would be nice...

2 months with my Skyrim Elite

After moving down to Cape Town from Johannesburg, I was not prepared for the gnarly terrain the Cape has to offer. It was quite clear that my 100mm XC bike was not going to cut the mustard. The big issue is that you need to shell out a lot  of $$$$ for long travel bikes. Thats why I jumped at the opportunity to trade my Merida Big 99 in for a the new Titan Skyrim Elite, and I haven’t looked back since

PRO:

1. The bike is pretty well spec’d. The 2x11 XT group set has a wide enough range for a easy spin up to the top and lot of range for bombing it down the hill
  2. All though the bike came with 2.8 tyres I found it hard to find 2.8 so I put on 2.6. The extra volume can be felt immediately with the pus size tyres. Loads of grip and I actually didn’t really notice the extra rolling resistance. The Duroc 30 rims are also pretty nice. Not top end but they do the job and come with a kind of rubber type insert so no more tape needed
  3. The bike climbs like goat and descends like a perigean falcon in beast mode. The extra travel really makes all the difference. The recon upfront is more than adequate , sure it not a super high end fork and the small bump sensitivity is not the best. But you quickly forget about that when you are bombing it down The Cobra at Hoegies. I did have a bit of trouble dealing in the shock. 
  4. Internal routing - the internal routing looks great and actually neatens all your cable work out nicely
  5. The short chain stays make the bike really nimble and easy to throw around.
  6. Definitely an eye catcher at the local enduros - even though the price is on point, not very many people seem to be riding them, so I always seem to have nice chats with people when they are surprised that my beast is intact a Titan
  7. The price -  for a pretty decent entry level enduro/trail bike the price was spot on. Its advertise to retail at R30 999 but I picked one up at the Cycle Factory for a discount at R23 999- Bargain
  8. It can take 2 bottles although I wouldn’t recommend putting one on the down tube

Cons

1. Would be nice if Titan offered more frame colours for the different price points- although I love the green, I had my eye set on the gun metal but they Elite only comes in green
  2. Dropper - pretty nice to get a dropper at this price point , however for a large frame and a tall dude like me the 100mm drop just isn’t enough. The control is also pretty useless, I changed mine for a Lezyne control.
  3. The grips are not great, but I suppose that standard for most bikes
  4. The Shimano M315 brakes just don’t cut it. They just are not powerful enough and seem have two modes of modulation , on or off. I have not upgrade one thing on the bike ( except for the tyres but I will get to that), however as soon as I can I plan on upgrading the brakes, either to XT or Magura trails.
  5. The tyres are advertised as tubeless ready, THEY ARE NOT. The side walls are paper thin , I didn’t even attempt to seat them so I just upgrade to Maxxis Recon, which are actually awesome
  6. The bottom bracket is pretty low, and I definitely have more regular pedal trikes, but I see this as an opportunity to improve my skills
  7. Reach- for a large frame I would of like a bit more reach, I don’t feel uncomfortable or anything, just sometimes feel like I’m far forward 
  8. The plus size tyres caused a bit of problems with my platform rack, they were too wide for the channel, and the traps where not long enough to go round but I fix this with some velcro 

Conclusion: 

If you are thinking about buying one DO IT. My suffering to enjoyment ratio has improved drastically and I am just getting better and better at riding. This bike can do it all, I’ve done XC races road rides and enduros on this beast and it has not let me down once.

If you want to hit the local Cape Town trails with me and try it out let me know

2018 Dartmoor Hornet frame with stuffsss I had on the Banshee before, and before that some other bike builds too :P

post-5403-0-97287500-1525431716.jpg

post-5403-0-26020600-1525431776.jpg

post-5403-0-66145900-1525431803.jpg

Very cool young man. You do realize that this is an enduro bike thread. That means you have to actually enter an enduro with the bike you post. Rules is rules.

2018 Dartmoor Hornet frame with stuffsss I had on the Banshee before, and before that some other bike builds too :P

post-5403-0-97287500-1525431716.jpg

post-5403-0-26020600-1525431776.jpg

post-5403-0-66145900-1525431803.jpg

Yoh, this bike just ticks every single box for me! Congrats

Edited by Grease_Monkey