Recovering of saddle - Cape Town

Room Service

Has anybody recovered their faded saddle? If so, was it succesfull (did it look goodas new?) & where did you have it done?

Cannot tell you directly who to go to, but Nils at Woodstock Cycleworks has a guy who does it. I've seen some seriously impressive work, with highly detailed patterns and embossing. Not sure of the cost.

www.woodstockcycleworks.com.

021 461 5634

Very nice work.

Chaps. Velobrein did a saddle for me and i was very happy.

In fact to the point that i cant see how anyone would want to trash a saddle when it could be recovered. And it really looks quite custom and adds a touch of bling to any bike.

Go with them, you wont be sorry.

If it's just faded - get it redyed - which is a bit of a misnomer, because the guys who fix car leather seats actually spray the dye on, and it's more like thin paint.

The big question, how much did it set you back?

Mine set me back around R500 if i recall correctly.

That was probably a year ago now, so not sure what they are charging now.

Very reasonable in my opinion as it is truly custom.

The saddle fits my arse like a lounge chair, so quite irreplaceable actually.

And the saddle is on my every day "tupperware" road bike, it gets ridden regularly, regardless of weather and saddle is holding up well.

So why splash out a grand plus to buy a new boring same old same old saddle when you could get your existing one redone in something nice and custom.

Mine set me back around R500 if i recall correctly.

That was probably a year ago now, so not sure what they are charging now.

Very reasonable in my opinion as it is truly custom.

The saddle fits my arse like a lounge chair, so quite irreplaceable actually.

And the saddle is on my every day "tupperware" road bike, it gets ridden regularly, regardless of weather and saddle is holding up well.

So why splash out a grand plus to buy a new boring same old same old saddle when you could get your existing one redone in something nice and custom.

Not bad at all, considering what a new saddle will cost

All you need is a scrap of leather, some contact adhesive, a nice sharp blade, chalk and a glass of wine.

Did mine a good few months ago while making a braai and it has turned out very well. This saddle has seen really bad weather and lots of miles.

H

All you need is a scrap of leather, some contact adhesive, a nice sharp blade, chalk and a glass of wine.

Did mine a good few months ago while making a braai and it has turned out very well. This saddle has seen really bad weather and lots of miles.

H

Pick of your saddle?

Not exactly the best pic, but you get the idea.

A bit of dubbin to care for the leather and all is good!

post-5403-0-01164100-1369900400_thumb.jpg

Not exactly the best pic, but you get the idea.

A bit of dubbin to care for the leather and all is good!

Looks good Hairy. But the Velobrien guys had a far more complicated saddle to work with in my case with the center cut out to deal with.

The leather was actually stitched to have a nice finish thru the cut out and around the back.

Stitching was integrated as part of the aesthetic finish.

Looks really trick if you like that sort of thing.

I was worried it would be uncomfortable, but it is every bit as comfortable as the original, if not more so.