Faerie Garden - Tokai Forest

Hooch

Hi Guys,

I've just started MTB cycling again after 4 yrs and have only just done the 10km Tru Cape and the 15km Hottentot Hollands in the last 6 weeks.

Yesterday I went up to Level 2 at Tokai Forest and on the way back, came down via Faerie Garden and Kuked myself? Admittedly it was after the weekends rain but still? For some reason I found Faerie Garden a nightmare.............. so I wanted to ask, is Faerie a novice downhill track? I do consider myself a novice but very disappointed that I felt overfaced on FG :(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I've just started MTB cycling again after 4 yrs and have only just done the 10km Tru Cape and the 15km Hottentot Hollands in the last 6 weeks.

Yesterday I went up to Level 2 at Tokai Forest and on the way back, came down via Faerie Garden and Kuked myself? Admittedly it was after the weekends rain but still? For some reason I found Faerie Garden a nightmare.............. so I wanted to ask, is Faerie a novice downhill track? I do consider myself a novice but very disappointed that I felt overfaced on FG :(

Don't worry! I also learnt there and trust me, it is in no way a basic track for a beginner, in either direction. I've done very few longer races that have any trails like that in them!

Lol, thanks so much Thor, I was very disheartend but you've made my day :) Mission is to keep hitting FG until I don't feel over faced :)

Lol, thanks so much Thor, I was very disheartend but you've made my day :) Mission is to keep hitting FG until I don't feel over faced :)

No worries... I still remember all to well being totally and utterly gormless compared to my riding partners, so I feel your pain! (And I've fallen into the bushes of the Faerie Garden more times than should be allowed!) If you really want to go enjoy trails that are lot more "user friendly" yet still exhilarating, go out to Oak Valley with some mates and spend the day there. The black route trails off the main circular route are great for beginners cos you're not that likely to get hurt if you fall, but are still technical enough to get you up to speed quickly.

Hooch

My advice is to ride it both up and down. Going slowly up and over and around obstacles will teach you more bike skill than just riding down. Also, you'll be able to observe the trail better and more carefully, so you'll know each rock better when you come down faster. Don't hesitate to do certain sections multiple times, you can learn a lot that way. Make sure your tyres are not too hard, it'll make your bike a lot more jittery.

Fairy Garden is where I taught my kids to ride single track, it is very good for learning. For new riders of any age. Soon you'll be able to do it with you eyes closed.

Btw What time were you there yesterday? We saw someone get off and walk the plank-turn-bridge at about 12h00. Nothing wrong with that, better to get off and walk if you are intimidated, much better that to get fetched by an ambulance, like the guy we saw at 14h00 at the quarry. (Hope he's OK)

Hooch

My advice is to ride it both up and down. Going slowly up and over and around obstacles will teach you more bike skill than just riding down. Also, you'll be able to observe the trail better and more carefully, so you'll know each rock better when you come down faster. Don't hesitate to do certain sections multiple times, you can learn a lot that way. Make sure your tyres are not too hard, it'll make your bike a lot more jittery.

Fairy Garden is where I taught my kids to ride single track, it is very good for learning. For new riders of any age. Soon you'll be able to do it with you eyes closed.

Yup... this is exactly how I learnt! :)

lol DJR, yep that was actually me and hubby walking over the wooden bridge section. i'd already lost it by then!!! A couple of friends have really written themselves off (Air lift jobs) from Tokai so i'm not taking any chances :) I know my limitations.

Have to wait till end of month and get activity card, Then I can go up and down FG and where ever I want in Tokai on a more regular basis.

Thor, thanks for the Oak Valley advice, Hubby and I are going to get out there as well and i'm sure i'll do better there :)

On Pub Hol Monday coming, we off to Paarl (taking bikes as well) can you suggest anywhere that's good for us to ride and practise?

lol DJR, yep that was actually me and hubby walking over the wooden bridge section. i'd already lost it by then!!! A couple of friends have really written themselves off (Air lift jobs) from Tokai so i'm not taking any chances :) I know my limitations.

Your chances of getting seriously hurt on that single track is very very small. Firstly, you won't be going very fast, and secondly, it isn't very rocky. You'll mostly end up in the bushes or crash into a tree at low speed. Most serious injuries in Tokai happened on the jeep track at high speed or on the downhill track at high speed and on jumps. Fairy garden will more likely hurt your ego, take a bit of skin and leave you with a bruise or two.

Have to wait till end of month and get activity card, Then I can go up and down FG and where ever I want in Tokai on a more regular basis.

Thor, thanks for the Oak Valley advice, Hubby and I are going to get out there as well and i'm sure i'll do better there :)

On Pub Hol Monday coming, we off to Paarl (taking bikes as well) can you suggest anywhere that's good for us to ride and practise?

I'm not up to date with the Paarl area exactly, except for races in the area, but I'm not sure if they are regular trails open all the time (I'm sure a Paarl local will assist you forthwith on the site! :)

But if you're willing to pop across to the Wellington/Bain's Kloof side, Welvenpas is lovely.

OK, Welvenpas sounds good, we'll go check it out :) Thank you so much for your advice! Much appreciated :) Oh and more picking of your brains, can you tell me which is the best website to visit that gives all the upcoming MTB events?

OK, Welvenpas sounds good, we'll go check it out :) Thank you so much for your advice! Much appreciated :) Oh and more picking of your brains, can you tell me which is the best website to visit that gives all the upcoming MTB events?

Pleasure :) the Dirtopia.co.za calendar is quite comprehensive because it includes the PPA rides and the non-sanctioned ones. The events page on this site normally has info on rides happening in the next few weeks, as people find out about them (and mostly want to check the ride profiles from previous years!)

Pleasure :) the Dirtopia.co.za calendar is quite comprehensive because it includes the PPA rides and the non-sanctioned ones. The events page on this site normally has info on rides happening in the next few weeks, as people find out about them (and mostly want to check the ride profiles from previous years!)

Yeah, the best place for info.. and I am on the printed version too, so consider it added value at no extra cost!!

;)

Yeah, the best place for info.. and I am on the printed version too, so consider it added value at no extra cost!!

;)

But if I've read most the threads you have contributed to rightly, and after noticing about 2 mins ago that DJR called you a "crafty" rider on the gyroscope thread and seemed to hold you in awe, I think your added value might soon result in a rider of my skill level entering an emergency room ASAP!

Edited by Thor Buttox