CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

Just recieved this CSA news letter. wonder how long it will take for CSA to get their hands on the ARGUS

Pedal Power Association (“PPA”)/ Cycling South Africa (“Cycling SA”)

In line with transparency and good standing, Cycling South Africa (Cycling SA) hereby advises its membership of legal procedures having been instituted by Pedal Power Association (PPA). Cycling SA wishes to inform you, our members, of the sequence of events culminating in the current situation.

In November 2011, Cycling SA, under a directive from SASCOC, and under SASCOC’s guidance, was required to alter its 2004 Constitution in order to comply with SASCOC requirements and the tenets of the Constitution of South Africa.

In terms of the new Cycling SA constitution, affiliates would be determined by geopolitical boundaries on a provincial basis. Under this framework, PPA could be affiliated as an Associate Member.

All listed affiliates, including PPA, were furnished with the draft SASCOC compliant constitution for consideration. A Special Constitutional Congress was then convened for purposes of debatement. PPA, like all other affiliates, were invited to participate in the process.

On the 18th February 2012, at its Constitutional Congress, at which a quorum was present, the new constitution, with amendments, was unanimously adopted by the participating Cycling SA affiliates. For reasons of their own, PPA chose not to attend, or vote.

Notwithstanding PPA’s non-participation in the constitutional process, Cycling SA, in good faith initiated, of its own volition, negotiations with PPA in order to find a common ground whereby PPA could continue to facilitate, organise and manage their events and members as they had done so under the former constitution and framework. It was, and remains the fervent hope of Cycling SA that the two entities would be able to function to mutual benefit, as they have done in the past.

From the perspective of Cycling SA, negotiations with PPA progressed well. In the process however, Cycling SA, as the National Cycling Federation, is committed and obliged to comply with the requirements of SASCOC and, by association, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).

PPA is well aware of Cycling SA’s affiliation to SASCOC and the challenge it faces in its attempts to accommodate both parties, to the benefit of the cycling public.

Pedal Power Association has now deemed it necessary to file a formal motion proceeding out of the High Court. Cycling South Africa will have to defend its position in this regard. It is unfortunate that there will be legal costs that may detract from the core essence of what Cycling South Africa is trying to achieve for the progression of our sport and our athletes.

The above having been said, Cycling SA management have noted that other, non-involved event organisers have perceived the on-going liaison with PPA, as an opportunity to forgo any formal sanctioning and compliance currently in place. Cycling SA reminds any persons wishing to host cycling events in South Africa, that such events remain subject to the sanctioning requirements of Cycling SA, and to all applicable statutory provisions, including but not limited to the National Sport and Recreation Act, 1998 (Act No. 110 of 1998), and related legislation.

ENDS

Edited by madmarc

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being a racer in any way, and being affie plaas and all, this doesn't smell good (and I'm not even a PPA member)

Cycling SA reminds any persons wishing to host cycling events in South Africa, that such events remain subject to the sanctioning requirements of Cycling SA, and to all applicable statutory provisions, including but not limited to the National Sport and Recreation Act, 1998 (Act No. 110 of 1998), and related legislation.

This smells of *UCI* and all that it and Phat Pat stand for.

like any other sport in sa , u can't organise an event without it being sanctioned by the governing body of that sport. just the other day ajax ct wanted to play liverpool, safa said no. the city of CT wanted to host a saracens game, wprfu said no. ppa have had it easy. they do what they want. btw csa don't want the argus they just want what is due to them ito sanctioning.

CSA are simply the goverments lap dog, ensuring they have their fingers in every essence of sport. It's just another type of tax from the fun riders license fees and the money raked in from being collected by CSA for the so called sanctioned cycling events. Which is a portion of our entry fees. the more they collect the less they need to ask goverment for. thats why we are so poorly represented in international pro events. Most pro riders have to pay themselves or get pvt companies to sponser them to go race overseas. It will never end unless the fun riders stand up and do something.

Just a thought

If every non-pro rider refused to take out CSA license and simply boycotted every CSA sanctioned cycling event I wonder what their repsonse would be or how long it would take for them to go bust because of no income.

Yes we would lose out on a lot of races for however long it took, but maybe it would work.

Imagine if only the elites arrived to do the 94.7 or the ARGUS.

Unsanctioned races would mean the pros or elites would be banned from participating. But the masses of fun riders would be there and so would the money and the sponsers. I personally don't ride these events because the pros are riding them, so let them race in CSA organised and sanctioned events. But i suppose trying to organize a road event would mean having the local authorities (which is goverment) agree to it and they could make if difficult.

On the other hand MTB events are largely hosted on private land so why do they need to be sanctioned by CSA. A non-sanctioned MTB event would still attract us fun riders, with the elite bunch missing. So the entry fees would be there and the sponsers, because we are the people they are trying sell to, certainly not the pro's.

Last week at the USN cup the race com. was very vocal about CSA rules and swore he would DQ any rider caught with a video camera on his body or helmet. I thought WTF!!!! or HTF!!!! cares if i wanna film my race i'll film it, if you wanna DQ me then go ahead. I would still get my stupid medal and i don't need an official time because i have a perfectly good Garmin which will give me my time.

Just a thought - use it; don't use it; use it.......

they way i read that is that PPA are the ones causing the ***..but then it is a CSA announcement

Lets not forget how this started. PPA was around long before CSA, when CSA was formed they first took out the VCA and GPPA then tried their luck with PPA but bit off a bit more than they could chew. I hope PPA tie them up in litigation untill the end of time. I have no doubt this will end up in the constitutional court, and i'm no lawyer but i think CSA will lose.

like any other sport in sa , u can't organise an event without it being sanctioned by the governing body of that sport. just the other day ajax ct wanted to play liverpool, safa said no. the city of CT wanted to host a saracens game, wprfu said no. ppa have had it easy. they do what they want. btw csa don't want the argus they just want what is due to them ito sanctioning.

How so has PPA had it easy???? in my personal opinion they done more for cycling in WP than any other cycling body. They represent over 17000 cyclists, and why would you believe that CSA has the right to sanction a race that actually created the PPA. It sounds more like they trying to hyjack the ARGUS because there would be huge sanctioning fees involved. CSA have been their own worst enemy, they have never been able to get their house in order and a lot of money (our money) has been squandered and stolen over the years by people working for them. This is public knowledge

I'm all for having a governing body in any sport, but why did they go create a new one to take over a perfectly good one that knows what they doing. surely someone must have known there would be ***.

It's like being married, and you come home and find some oke has moved into your home and takien over your house and family insisting that your wife must sleep with him.

It's like a black ladies left breast. ït ain't RIGHT and it ain't FAIR

Now i'm gonna be called a racist i suppose

At the Knysna 200 stage race held this past weekend, the CSA officials were on hand to collect their pound of flesh before we could register for the event. 3 x R35 - R105 So I asked how much for a years membership & was told that it is R75 for the year. So I asked to take a years membership instead. I was told that they didn't have the facilities to do so. They had the facilities to take the R105 but not a membership.

About this stupid CSA camera rule... I want to know what the difference is between having a headlight on your helmet (Many many night races, Trans Baviaans and other big ones) and having a gopro on your helmet? Both weight the same, both mount the same...

For MTB we need a massive CSA boycott in SA... MTB has lost its spirit in SA... yes it's great that a few are doing well and go overseas but the majority just want to ride and have fun... If you read the above letter from CSA you'd think they're angels.... wolves in sheep's clothes....

Just recieved this CSA news letter. wonder how long it will take for CSA to get their hands on the ARGUS

Pedal Power Association (“PPA”)/ Cycling South Africa (“Cycling SA”)

In line with transparency and good standing, Cycling South Africa (Cycling SA) hereby advises its membership of legal procedures having been instituted by Pedal Power Association (PPA). Cycling SA wishes to inform you, our members, of the sequence of events culminating in the current situation.

In November 2011, Cycling SA, under a directive from SASCOC, and under SASCOC’s guidance, was required to alter its 2004 Constitution in order to comply with SASCOC requirements and the tenets of the Constitution of South Africa.

In terms of the new Cycling SA constitution, affiliates would be determined by geopolitical boundaries on a provincial basis. Under this framework, PPA could be affiliated as an Associate Member.

All listed affiliates, including PPA, were furnished with the draft SASCOC compliant constitution for consideration. A Special Constitutional Congress was then convened for purposes of debatement. PPA, like all other affiliates, were invited to participate in the process.

On the 18th February 2012, at its Constitutional Congress, at which a quorum was present, the new constitution, with amendments, was unanimously adopted by the participating Cycling SA affiliates. For reasons of their own, PPA chose not to attend, or vote.

Notwithstanding PPA’s non-participation in the constitutional process, Cycling SA, in good faith initiated, of its own volition, negotiations with PPA in order to find a common ground whereby PPA could continue to facilitate, organise and manage their events and members as they had done so under the former constitution and framework. It was, and remains the fervent hope of Cycling SA that the two entities would be able to function to mutual benefit, as they have done in the past.

From the perspective of Cycling SA, negotiations with PPA progressed well. In the process however, Cycling SA, as the National Cycling Federation, is committed and obliged to comply with the requirements of SASCOC and, by association, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).

PPA is well aware of Cycling SA’s affiliation to SASCOC and the challenge it faces in its attempts to accommodate both parties, to the benefit of the cycling public.

Pedal Power Association has now deemed it necessary to file a formal motion proceeding out of the High Court. Cycling South Africa will have to defend its position in this regard. It is unfortunate that there will be legal costs that may detract from the core essence of what Cycling South Africa is trying to achieve for the progression of our sport and our athletes.

The above having been said, Cycling SA management have noted that other, non-involved event organisers have perceived the on-going liaison with PPA, as an opportunity to forgo any formal sanctioning and compliance currently in place. Cycling SA reminds any persons wishing to host cycling events in South Africa, that such events remain subject to the sanctioning requirements of Cycling SA, and to all applicable statutory provisions, including but not limited to the National Sport and Recreation Act, 1998 (Act No. 110 of 1998), and related legislation.

ENDS

I hope PPA take CSA to the cleaners and I'm not a PPA fan. CSA provides 95% of riders with zero benefit and expect to be paid just because they exist. Besides, CSA is continuously made up of the same old South African faces from the "good old days".

PPA, despite its warts, still does a much better job and provides far more benefit to the cycling community at large than CSA would ever hope to.

The affiliation with CSA was declined afew years ago so now CSA tries another avenue. More Poo politics.

they way i read that is that PPA are the ones causing the ***..but then it is a CSA announcement

Nope, CSA has been trying to gain the ultimate power to control cycling since its inception. PPA is actually the strongest cycling body in the country since it represents more riders and is a stakeholder / part owner in the biggest cycling event in the country. CSA needs a stable income and the PPA is their ticket to wealth and corruption.

At the Knysna 200 stage race held this past weekend, the CSA officials were on hand to collect their pound of flesh before we could register for the event. 3 x R35 - R105 So I asked how much for a years membership & was told that it is R75 for the year. So I asked to take a years membership instead. I was told that they didn't have the facilities to do so. They had the facilities to take the R105 but not a membership.

This is exactly my point, and i bet the race was on pvt land. so if the organizers told them to take a hike, only the pro's would not have been able to race.

Nope, CSA has been trying to gain the ultimate power to control cycling since its inception. PPA is actually the strongest cycling body in the country since it represents more riders and is a stakeholder / part owner in the biggest cycling event in the country. CSA needs a stable income and the PPA is their ticket to wealth and corruption.

Biggest timed cycling event in the world, not just the country!!!

About this stupid CSA camera rule... I want to know what the difference is between having a headlight on your helmet (Many many night races, Trans Baviaans and other big ones) and having a gopro on your helmet? Both weight the same, both mount the same...

For MTB we need a massive CSA boycott in SA... MTB has lost its spirit in SA... yes it's great that a few are doing well and go overseas but the majority just want to ride and have fun... If you read the above letter from CSA you'd think they're angels.... wolves in sheep's clothes....

If anyone can start a boycott the MTBers can.

Can anyone shed any light on why the no-camera rule exists. Because I honestly cannot think af any reason why they are banned, safety or otherwise!!!!

Without CSA membership I am precluded from participating in "sanctioned" funrides held in provinces other than the Western Cape, where membership of CSA is unnecessary and pointless. CSA is a bully, and bullies deserve a bloody nose!

PPA gets my vote!