Scott Spark 29 Elite Frame cracked 2 times

Sybrandt

So disappointed!

I Love my Scott 29er, but in the past 12 months that I had my bike the frame cracked twice...

The first time I took in my bike and it was with Scott about 2 months, and NO they will not give you a loaner, even if you have entered for races, sorry for you!!!

I eventually got my bike back (after they only replaced the portion of the frame that cracked) and they told me that should the frame crack again they will replace the complete frame with a new one.

Guess what?

About 4 months later the frame cracked again...

After taking it in and waiting for almost a month I got my bike back with only the part replaced again.

I don't think I will buy another Scott again (even though I have 2 Scott road bikes at home...)

Think my next bike will most probably be the Giant Anthem X0

Hopefully their service will be better...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So disappointed!

I Love my Scott 29er, but in the past 12 months that I had my bike the frame cracked twice...

The first time I took in my bike and it was with Scott about 2 months, and NO they will not give you a loaner, even if you have entered for races, sorry for you!!!

I eventually got my bike back (after they only replaced the portion of the frame that cracked) and they told me that should the frame crack again they will replace the complete frame with a new one.

Guess what?

After taking it in and waiting for almost a month I got my bike back with only the part replaced again.

I don't think I will buy another Scott again (even though I have 2 Scott road bikes at home...)

Guess what? They crack too... :ph34r:

Right here

post-7810-0-83115700-1371022302_thumb.jpg

Mate of mine also cracked her scott twice. Also sat without a bike for a while.

She bought herself a shiny new Anthem and is loving how it rides. She hates her Scott now.

Where did it crack and what size bike do you ride?

ps, if you do decide to go for the Anthem, consider the carbon one, it should be stronger.

Edited by Jacquers

Where did it crack? Also have the 29 Elite and LBS was told by Scott to make sure that bottom pivot point (near the crank) needs to be well maintained (lots of WD40 after washing). Said that if it isn't, the bearing seizes and the frame will crack.

Where did it crack? Also have the 29 Elite and LBS was told by Scott to make sure that bottom pivot point (near the crank) needs to be well maintained (lots of WD40 after washing). Said that if it isn't, the bearing seizes and the frame will crack.

Is this specifically something with the 29r Elite?

So disappointed!

Guess what?

What kind of Scott 29er? Carbon or Alu? Any pics?

Where did it crack and what size bike do you ride?

ps, if you do decide to go for the Anthem, consider the carbon one, it should be stronger.

thanks!

Actually, this particular bearing is very exposed to water from both riding and washing. It is inevitable that it will seize, so make sure you check and change out this bearing regularily.

For example: I had the bearings replaced by my LBS in February as part of its yearlty warrenty service. Then after checking them just after Lowveld Quest in April, I replaced the bearings again as they had already seized.

Then 3 days befor Sani2C I did a final pre race check and noted the driveside chainstay cracked just adjacent to the BB/crank area. This item alone was replaced (with one that did not match the existing bike colour, but beggers cant be choosers)

It seems this is a problem area, but not unique to Scott - other bikes of similar design need to be regularily checked and serviced, with particular care taken at these bearing points.

Sounds like my experience when I rode Trek bikes , I had the new colour every year .

Gone the Santa Cruz route and now I still have the old colour from 3 years ago .

I am sure that if consumers were told this prior to purchasing the bike, they would look at other brands where there aren't design flaws.