Fake Zipp wheels

gummibear

I have seen a few of these adverts pop up in the classifieds in the last few weeks.

One was by a well known cycle shop manager.He claimed he didn't know the wheels were fake.

Here is the latest scam

post-5455-0-94235400-1371032517_thumb.png

post-5455-0-32331500-1371032545_thumb.png

I see the same seller is selling a Pinarello Dogma that can be bought from the same seller of the fake wheels.

post-5455-0-59295500-1371032677_thumb.png

Edited by gummibear

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gummi, what are the tell tale signs. I can see why these could be considered fake, but what does one look for in fake/proper Zipps?

For example, the easiest way to tell fake Bora's for me is the absence of the G3 spoke pattern at the rear. What is the equivalent sign in Zipp wheels?

Gummi, what are the tell tale signs. I can see why these could be considered fake, but what does one look for in fake/proper Zipps?

For example, the easiest way to tell fake Bora's for me is the absence of the G3 spoke pattern at the rear. What is the equivalent sign in Zipp wheels?

Zipp 404 have a 60mm rim and these are 50mm

Zipp don't use red hubs

Edited by gummibear

Rim depth.

Dimpling.

Firecrest and other decals.

But the real giveaway - those hubs.!

Edited by Thomo

Zipp's are dimpled... (like a golf ball) Easiest to spot they fake if they not dimpled.... Earlier models were not dimpled but doubt you would still find a "new" set like that around or even pay/ask R20k for them.

The hubs on these look like a old set of Neuvation's I have lying at home

Zipp 404 have a 60mm rim and these are 50mm

Zipp don't use red hubs

The most obvious sign are that Zipp rims have dimples like a golf ball