Hub fund

Slowbee

Once in a while hubbers get together to help a fellow cyclist out when the chips are down.

This has been on a more ad hoc basis.

A suggestion was made regarding putting a hub fund together.

But what do hubbers think ? Yay, nay ?

Personally, I like the spontaneous generosity idea as it removes any complication of administration and favouritism being thrown around (ie politics) when there is no money.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is the originator of the idea ...

Hmmmm striking while the iron is hot...no not THAT Iron just an iron...

How many of us can spare a few hundred bucks a month?

How about a few of us get together and start a hubfund? I'll happily do the admin side (bank account, monthly hub report back etc).

Every month we run an online poll with a few names of aspiring cyclists and divvy out the cash or equipment or or..

For a bit of exposure my little CITEC wheel company will donate R500/month.

If we get 20 people that's R10K/month for a great cause.

Who's in?

I know this has been punted elsewhere (where I've dropped a some trailing zeros) but I prefer to donate directly to anybody I feel like donating to.

Sending moolah through a few layers allow other people to direct MY money to causes I might not feel particularly aligned to (not that they are non-deserving causes).

I know this has been punted elsewhere (where I've dropped a some trailing zeros) but I prefer to donate directly to anybody I feel like donating to.

Sending moolah through a few layers allow other people to direct MY money to causes I might not feel particularly aligned to (not that they are non-deserving causes).

Donate the month you like the cause/recepient?

how would you want to deal with transparency ?

and do we do as Eldron suggests ..online poll every month ?

Great idea, but will be tricky to administer in terms of who decides what cause gets a donation & how much...

While starting out with good intentions, it could become a bun fight.

After helping Maroesjka and seeing Wayne's generosity I had a moment of "we can make a difference"....

So let's start a Hubfund.

How it works:

Each Hubber donates a few hundred Ronts every month into a combined fund/bank account/dirty envelope.

We accumulate until we have a sizable ammount then we collect names or institutions and have a public vote. The winner gets the lot or portion there of.

I'll report the weekly/monthly tally here on thehub to keep everyone informed.

To kick off I'll donate R500/month from my CITEC Agency.

We'll fine tunr the rules and regs as we go along - right now morals and ethics will be the guide...

Who's in?

Slowbee - please can you sticky this.

Matt - any objections to this?

The idea is not to create and official fund with board members, monthly meetings and political BS - just some like minded people trying to do good.

Online poll seems to be the way to go.

If anyone starts punting or voting for their own family I will come to your house and give your children red bull and 5 puppies.

Edit: Agreed - for now Project Maroesjka should consume all funds :-)

Edited by Slowbee

Merge please - I went off to do some work and you guys shot ahead of me!

The idea is not to create and official fund with board members, monthly meetings and political BS - just some like minded people trying to do good.

Online poll seems to be the way to go.

If anyone starts punting or voting for their own family I will come to your house and give your children red bull and 5 puppies.

Edit: Agreed - for now Project Maroesjka should consume all funds :-)

What kind of puppies?

perhaps a part of the funds can go towards things like cycling lanes or MTB tracks to make cycling safe, seeing that CSA fails completely when it comes to this...

perhaps a part of the funds can go towards things like cycling lanes or MTB tracks to make cycling safe, seeing that CSA fails completely when it comes to this...

Or perhaps to overthrow the "government" (CSA) :ph34r: