Freedom challenge 2013 route access issues

johannrissik

The place is indeed a treasure to us and everyone who visits it and we spend a lot of time and money keeping it that way. Just looking for acknowledgement of our right privacy.

Just exactly what is your beef?Did or did not the organisers obtain permission from you for the event to pass thru?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just exactly what is your beef?Did or did not the organisers obtain permission from you for the event to pass thru?

Ketoorskop, as per the question above?

Not so much just a bunch of city yuppies. We have been on the farm for nearly 30 years now and spend a lot of time and money making the place what it is.

We have been talking and the organisers know who and where to find. The issue is the same as a bunch of people coming into your backyard without permission and expecting not to get chased away.

PS. my comments are based mostly on personal opinion and do not necessarily represent the views or positions of everyone involved.

AFAIK there is a dispute over access to Die Leer been contested by the owner at the top of the trail(who have been referred to as the city slickers/inkopers). I didn't realise there were issues from the owners at the base of it.

Since this has escalated to a legal issue now - I think it is unwise to say anything further, but that it looks like it will be resolved using the correct procedures.

NO.

Ketoorskop, as per the question above?

I think it was a matter of disagreement over the access rights. Hence it has come to this. but leave it to those in the know to reply further.

edit:looks like the reply is there above us.

I've said my bit here, will leave it to those directly engaged in it.

Ps. as a side issue, go to Die Hel. Cape nature have done a really good job rescuing it from ruin when i first went through it (1999). the hell and back mtb race is a must do.

Edited by Shebeen

As a farmer I sympathize with some of what you have said.

Forgive me if I still consider you Johnnie come lately's, my family have been farming in our area for over 150 years, so 30 years ago was just the other day ;) :whistling:

I just hope it gets sorted out soon.

Interesting. So by your logic a family on a farm for 300 years has more right to privacy than one of 150 years?

The farms were bought at a time when nobody else wanted them (before it was "discovered" by the public and mountain biking became a craze). The place was turned into a Private Nature Reserve, but has been open to the public BY APPOINTMENT only for quite some time (as many happy visitors will tell you).

People are quick to judge the landowners for not "co-operating", but fail to consider all aspects. For instance, what happens if someone gets hurt or killed on our ground? Does FC have Public Liability Insurance? How much? What is the medivac procedure? If we happen to be there at the time is it now our responsibility to now get that person to safety/help? etc.

What if someone decides not to leave? Next thing we'll have squatters and land invaders...

Right of admission reserved.

Again these are just my personal thoughts and questions and are not the official commentary of the owners (since this is a legal matter after all).

well, if the race organisers didn't speak to the land owners before the time then they have as much blame in this as anyone, regardless of the (perceived) historical access rights. I hope they sort it out though - would hate to see a great event like this derailed by what is basically petty one upmanship.

NO.

Well that is quite clear

So what is the FC organisers doing sending competitors through private land with no permission granted

This guy raises serious issues with regard to insurance,medical etc

Interesting. So by your logic a family on a farm for 300 years has more right to privacy than one of 150 years?

The farms were bought at a time when nobody else wanted them (before it was "discovered" by the public and mountain biking became a craze). The place was turned into a Private Nature Reserve, but has been open to the public BY APPOINTMENT only for quite some time (as many happy visitors will tell you).

People are quick to judge the landowners for not "co-operating", but fail to consider all aspects. For instance, what happens if someone gets hurt or killed on our ground? Does FC have Public Liability Insurance? How much? What is the medivac procedure? If we happen to be there at the time is it now our responsibility to now get that person to safety/help? etc.

What if someone decides not to leave? Next thing we'll have squatters and land invaders...

Right of admission reserved.

Again these are just my personal thoughts and questions and are not the official commentary of the owners (since this is a legal matter after all).

If you were not asked/notified/contacted by the organisers that people will traverse your property in 2013 - then I cant really fault your sentiment.

Side note: The insurance issue is one I was wondering about from a SA perspective. Everywhere (a lot of places) in Ireland one had to cross private land with paths to get to the real mountains. (Unlike the UK where the paths is usually public) At these places the farmers erected a standard sign that they buy somewhere that state they are not responsible/required to help you during a accident etc. (But they probably would if you had aske them to cross their land :whistling: ). I think I have one on a photo somewhere, but cant find it now.

Well that is quite clear

So what is the FC organisers doing sending competitors through private land with no permission granted

This guy raises serious issues with regard to insurance,medical etc

have to agree here.

But did they do the same last year ? Did the ride not go over the same land ? How was it dealt with last year ?

Am I correct in saying then Ketoorskop, that you have no objection to them being there for the race, but you would like them to ask permission ?

have to agree here.

But did they do the same last year ? Did the ride not go over the same land ? How was it dealt with last year ?

Am I correct in saying then Ketoorskop, that you have no objection to them being there for the race, but you would like them to ask permission ?

At the end of the day if you want to use someone else's land for an event damn right you ask permission and get it in writing.If they say no you make another plan.With the Kalchal it crosses tribal land in many cases.We always ask permission of the chief and council .Where we cross farms etc we request permission from the owner and if they say no which has happened we make other arrangements

At the end of the day if you want to use someone else's land for an event damn right you ask permission and get it in writing.If they say no you make another plan.With the Kalchal it crosses tribal land in many cases.We always ask permission of the chief and council .Where we cross farms etc we request permission from the owner and if they say no which has happened we make other arrangements

I wonder what happens on the FC when the riders wonder off the "planned route"?

Surely the FC organizers must allow for a certain margin of error and get permission from said landowners or am I missing something

I don't think a farmer is going to roast you over a fire if you get lost...

And that is all she wrote....