Rookie triathlete (2.0) : What clip-on TT bars for road bike

andydude

Building on the first rookie question on whether to get a TT or road bike for triathlons, I thought I'll start a new thread on if I choose a road bike what clip-on TT bars should I get?

Are there any specific things to look at or are clip-on TT bars pretty much standard? I currently ride a Giant road bike.

Profile T2 bars are not to bad. I think they retail for about R1200 (not to sure)

OOOOHH these are so personal preference. i loooove the Vision ones. they go nice and low on the bar and the pad are seriously comfy for me. but they are heavier.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I'm a road cyclist, but in a whim decided I want to try the half ironman next year. I'm most scared about the swimming leg, cycling is good and running will be ok.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I'm a road cyclist, but in a whim decided I want to try the half ironman next year. I'm most scared about the swimming leg, cycling is good and running will be ok.

That makes two of us, Andy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got a pair of Profile designs T2 cobra clip on's on Friday.

Rode them on Saturday and love them. Super comfortable.

mini Hijack sorry - but why are the triathlon events so expensive, i want to enter the 5150 event in November and its R800 for a single day event??

I am doing the half ironman in January. Is it really neccessary for tri-bars on the 90k bike ride ? For a middle of the field hopefull finisher, it probably will not make that much of a difference ?

I am doing the half ironman in January. Is it really neccessary for tri-bars on the 90k bike ride ? For a middle of the field hopefull finisher, it probably will not make that much of a difference ?

Could you do it without aerobars? Yes.

So I would say necessary no, nice to have yes.

(note: 70.3 2014 will be my first HIM so I'm talking from what I've read on the internet and heard from guys who have done it without aerobars, and not personal experience)

just remember that if you intend to do draft legal races your tri bars have to be bridged and they arent aloud to go past your brakehoods, so have a look for a pair that has alot of adjustment options that you can extend fully for non draft races

3 sports.....organise life savers for swim, marshals for bike and run courses..

Hmm, still seems excessive though..

Pre entry for the midmar is R120 and R180

10km races seem to be less than R50 for an entry

94.7 entry = R320

it shouldn't be much more than R550 for the race...

According to the 5150 website you get a medal and a certificate?

In all honesty though I dont know how they calculate it / why its more. I will say that the tri events I've done have been better than many of the single sport races I've done so maybe you pay more and you get more?