Sani2C 2014

Hermanus Cycles

?? Dont understand that. I only entered because Sani2C is the best MTB event on the planet!! Cannot wait

Totally agree, but having done a few, thought there would be more excitement in the build up. I guess sponsorship has changed hands within the bank, and the budget has been allocated elsewhere.

That does in no way affect the event, but certainly has affected the "spoilt'' factor we, as private clients, have experienced in the past. On our first event we had a welcome pack of a towel, ear plugs, soap and an ouch pouch left on each mattress... made a huge difference, as I had forgotten to pack a towel!

Having said that, the route last year was better than the year before, with the addition of "Paris Roubaix" along the river, and the floating bridge at the end. I can't wait to see what it is in store for this year! :clap:

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we lost the complete Sani2C thread.

So here is a copy of a packing list I compiled from various sources.

It is an overkill, but might just jog your memory on something you haven't though about.

I certainly DO NOT take everything along.

Customize it to your requirements.

Remember pack LIGHT, those boxes are heavy after a day's riding!

Sani2C Packing List.pdf

I did my first Sani last year and I took everything with. An extra tyre, sealant, brake pads you name it.

This year I wont be taking any of that. I think as long as you have everything you usually ride with(spare tube, plugs, multitool) you will be fine. If your bike uses scarce components take spares for that with. Anything SRAM or Shimano you will be able to source from the various suppliers at the event.

After a days riding you are also not really in the mood to work on your own bike, so no use taking any tools with. Rather take a bit of extra cash should something need fixing.

This year I will just buy anything that I need instead of taking everything along. This approach will only work if your bike is in top condition going into day 1, so have it serviced a week or two before the event.

Excuse my butting in, but what are the differences between the 3 different rides?

Trail, adventure, race?

Want to enter for 2015 when it opens.

Excuse my butting in, but what are the differences between the 3 different rides?

Trail, adventure, race?

Want to enter for 2015 when it opens.

Race is for the fast tough type A personalities (and delusional old farts like me). They don't walk, and they hiss and fit if they lose time because of a puncture. Afterwards they can tell you everything about their heart rates vs power on every climb, but they can't tell you what the view from the top looked like.

Adventure is for people that ride to enjoy it rather than to compete against others. They still like going as fast as they can, but they don't care who wins, as long as nobody holds them up on the sublime single track, the reason they are there after all. They can tell you exactly how the track twisted and turned, and they can sometimes tell you what one or 2 of the views looked like.

Trail is for people that love their beer and social enough not to worry about their starting group. They just want to have fun, chat with their mates and random strangers. They stop for water and snacks at every water point. They walk up "push of a hill" and don't mind telling others how they suffered. They stop to rest (and look at the view, they claim)

;) (Better add one of these, just for in case)

Race is for the fast tough type A personalities (and delusional old farts like me). They don't walk, and they hiss and fit if they lose time because of a puncture. Afterwards they can tell you everything about their heart rates vs power on every climb, but they can't tell you what the view from the top looked like.

Adventure is for people that ride to enjoy it rather than to compete against others. They still like going as fast as they can, but they don't care who wins, as long as nobody holds them up on the sublime single track, the reason they are there after all. They can tell you exactly how the track twisted and turned, and they can sometimes tell you what one or 2 of the views looked like.

Trail is for people that love their beer and social enough not to worry about their starting group. They just want to have fun, chat with their mates and random strangers. They stop for water and snacks at every water point. They walk up "push of a hill" and don't mind telling others how they suffered. They stop to rest (and look at the view, they claim)

Brilliant!!!

What's the route profile like? How many km's in total?

Race? Correct.

Trail? Incorrect. That actually describes the Adventure. Trail is about new entrants who haven't yet worked out if they want to race or cruise, or have no choice and find themselves in the same event.

Adventure? See Trail.

:ph34r: :devil:

That's about it...

Although, there are also similar characteristics between those at the front (no sense of humour), the middle (some sense of humour, possibly) and the back (where all the humour is) of each day.

Edited by davetapson

Hey.. I'm doing the race and we take it for a lekker jol.. Stop and smell the roses (aka ganga plants ) while still being competitive with those around you

Has anyone in The Hub SA used a camper before for the Sani2c?

Last year I had to abandon day 2. Got I lift with people that followed their riders around. They camped.

The Thing is they dont really cater for spectators/seconds or crew to follow around. So you camp "outside" of the camp.