[Event] Tour De Ghaap 2013

P.A.K.

Event Name: Tour De Ghaap 2013
When: 7 September 2013 - 8 September 2013
Where: Ulco, close to Kimberley, Northern Cape, Northern Cape
Category: MTB

Firstly, I am not one of the organizers. Just posting it here for info. The listed contact person is Jean Botha ((072) 444-0889)

The Tour de Ghaap is an annual multi-day mountain bike race at Ulco, close to Kimberley. The first day is a 78km trail of endurance, and the second day is 37km technical.

Participants and their families camp on one the farm close to Ulco.

Day 1 - 78km

Day 2 - 37km

THE TOUR DE GHAAP ULTRA MOUNTAIN BIKE MARATHON

Saturday and Sunday, 7 – 8 September 2013 will see the tenth running of the Tour de Ghaap Ultra Mountain

Bike Marathon. It begins at Ulco, mining town of AfriSam SA (previously Holcim SA). It is situated approximately 80 kms North-West of Kimberley on the R31 en route to Postmasburg. On the first day a distance of 68 kms is covered, and on the second day 38 kms.

Day one places emphasis on speed and endurance. Day two concentrates on technical skills as the route winds through mountainous terrain. Good front-suspension is a must for day one. Full suspension is advisable for day two!

The organizers provide basic repair parts for the bicycles. On route at every 15 km intervals are water and

energy points. At the base camp, Lyfontein, is food and drinks provided from the Saturday until the Sunday.

Cyclists and their families are responsible for their own tents and camping gear. All cyclists sleep over at Lyfontein on the Friday evening. Basic washing and ablution facilities are available.

On Saturday evening, a full braai is given and a full lunch served on Sunday. A cash bar will be available.

The race starts at Ulco, 10:00 on Saturday morning. The little ones take part in a Mini-race at 16:00.

Departure after the event and lunch on Sunday will be at 14:00. The costs for the event vary per category per rider. Check the entry form for special cost-arrangements for the non-riding family members.

The Tour de Ghaap is competing for the position of the best mountain biking experience in central South

Africa. Please contact Jean Botha on 072 444 0889 (fax no. 053 5620059) for inquiries about the entry

forms, photos, route directions, GPS race route and payment details.

Well, the Tour de Ghaap this weekend was awesome! I've only been into MTB for the past two months, and the 108km over two days was a bit much. But I've finished it and enjoyed every moment of it!

The event was very well organized and you could see they put a lot of effort into it. We also got loads of food the whole time, lots of prizes and lucky draws, and a great atmosphere the whole weekend!

Luckily the participants' skill and strength varied greatly between the ~120 participants, which meant there were some noobs (like me) and then the pro's as well.

The fastest time was about 02h20 each day, and the slowest was about 4:30 per day.

The terrain was very interesting and varied the whole time, which helped to keep it fun. Well organized water points about every 10km with loads of drink and munchie choices. A few threatening heights (one appropriately called Suikerbossie) made me wish I was more fit. There were also a lot of high speed downhill type parts which was very exciting.

The Ghaap might be a bit intimidating to the mountain biking newbie, but with a bit of determinition it can be completed and enjoyed. I'm quite proud of myself for finishing it and next year I will definitely improve my time greatly! clap.gif

Must agree .The organization was brilliant. The waterpoints excellant. For a R400 entry fee this must be the most value for money you can get.The route not easy for a mountainbike novice. Even getting something for your birthday was a real good personnel touch.The food was plenty as was prizes and lucky draw. How good was it to not just receive a medal at the end but a hat,shirt and some biltong and droewors with your medal. Will definatly go back next year ,just train some more.Team Grownups(Nedbank)

Schedule:

Friday, 6 September 2013

13:30 – 19:00 Collect Race No at Ricketts Hall, ULCO

19:00 Potjiekos at Lyfontein

22:00 Retire to your Tent

Saturday, 7 September 2013

08:30 Bus leaves Lyfontein with Riders to Ulco

10:00 Cyclists start

15:00 Prize Giving

16:00 Mini-Race (children u/10 - bikes and tricycles)

Nature ramble or funrid (check with Camp Commandant -K Ludwick)

17:00 Camp Fire - Braai

Sunday, 8 September 2013

06:30 Rise – coffee / tea / breakfast

07:15 Short Morning Service (optional)

08:00 Baviaanskrantz - circular route

12:30 Prize-Giving

13:00 Lunch and ....... Goodbye!

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

If this race was not the same date as the Eden classic I would have been there. Maybe next year