My solution for an easy access Pepper Spray mount

Skylark

With all the hijackings and what not and general scaliness you can encounter on a ride these days I decided to put together an idea I had for easily accessing your pepper spray.

As anyone who has been mugged or hijacked will tell you, having your pepper spray in your pocket or bag etc is just about useless - you may get lucky as the situation develops to get the spray out and into your hand, though chances are by then its already to late.

You need to be able to whip out that eye melting goodness in an instant!

I took a medium sized cannister of SWAT glued some fluffy velcro on to it with contact adhesive and cable tied the scratchy velcro part to the top tube just below the stem, used about 50mm wide velcro.

Works like a charm, I get quite raucous on my bike, hopping & ramping things - hasn't budged.

Its easily ripped off if you pull it off lengthways as you would when taking it off but bumping or knocking it does nothing , if anything the swat can rolls over onto more velcro and doesn't budge. Its very hard to pull off laterally - ie along its length but vertically - ie gripping the lid and pulling it up it lifts off easily.

Been using this setup for the last 3 months and the swat can hasn't come close to falling or being knocked off.

Here are some pics:

post-15746-0-96624900-1374838636_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-46634800-1374838638_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-00599600-1374838636_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-57157300-1374838633_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-74182600-1374838639_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-06819900-1374838635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skylark

Clever idea

I have 2 questions:

1) How hot does that cannister get in the sun?

2) What if they knock you off your bike?

I'll answer if I may....

1) I have one in the car that is parked in the sun on occasions and it has not gone pop yet if that is what you were wondering.

2) If you are knocked off your bike you are faced with a more serious problem than not being able to reach your spray.

I clip mine onto the strap of my camelbak - the one that runs across the chest.

EDIT: Does it not roll off the top tube when going over rough terrain?

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I WANT TO DO SOMETHING SIMILAR BUT ON MY BODY SOME HOW, FOR WHEN YOU GET KNOCKED OFF

Did you fall on a ******* pencil while cleaning your ears with it?

Clever,.......... hook and loop can be used for a lot of stuff and its very strong, did the space shuttle not use hook and loop to attach some heat tiles? cant remember but I am sure it was on the Discovery Channel somewhere.

You can buy Velcro fasteners which are adhesive backed and have a tear force of about 15kg. They come in a pack of two sets of 50mm x 100mm strips.

They work well, just ensure you allow 24 hours for the adhesive to cure.

They can be found at Builders Warehouse (other hardware stores are available).

I clip my pepper spray to my camelbak's strap, that way it's always on me. Otherwise I guess you can make a belt clip thing, but that could hurt if you fall on your hip, or wherever the pepper spray can is at that moment.

I'll answer if I may....

1) I have one in the car that is parked in the sun on occasions and it has not gone pop yet if that is what you were wondering.

2) If you are knocked off your bike you are faced with a more serious problem than not being able to reach your spray.

I clip mine onto the strap of my camelbak - the one that runs across the chest.

EDIT: Does it not roll off the top tube when going over rough terrain?

Nope doesn't budge or roll or anything(unless you knock it which as I mentioned means it may roll over onto more velcro but doesn't even remotely come close to falling off).

I can categorically state the way I have set it up and the width of velcro I used the Pepper Spray does not budge an inch. The velcro runs the full length of the swat can - a good solid 60mm or so. Good velcro is tough stuff, you need to vertically rip it off from lid to base for it to come off otherwise its locked on.

Never had any issue with heat from the sun, security guards work in the midday sun with Swat on their belts with no fear of it exploding.

Edited by Skylark

Like this, but my GPS sits in this position...

My plan is to stitch the fluffy portion of the velcro to the left shoulder strap of my of my Camelbak. I just have to learn how to sew now.

OK WHAT ABOUT those who dont use camels,,,,,????????

dipslick you can do it the same way you stap I pod on your arm. Make a pouch for the pepper spray and then strap it with a I pod strap to your arm.