Fake / Counterfeit Bikes & Components: News and how to spot them

Wyatt Earp

So with all these chinese companies making (according to some hubbers) "great" value for money products, I still feel one needs to be careful.

After seeing one of these Geisha's fall apart at T.O.L. the past weekend I would have to say that I will not put my life in the hands of something that could potentially have me brain damaged for life.

Any fakes , any news on fakes can be posted in this thread.

With the unfortunate hubber recently who dropped an obscene amount of cash on an all fake bike, let's help fellow hubbers spot these things.

This recently from Zipp.

Identifying Fake Zipp Wheels and Handlebars (with photos)

http://www.zipp.com/...tory.php?ID=544

http://www.zipp.com/...counterfeit.php

Discussion regarding fake Zipp wheels on The Hub: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126873-fake-zipp-wheels/

Edited by Admin
Added links

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the unfortunate hubber recently who dropped an obscene amount of cash on an all fake bike, let's help fellow hubbers spot these things.

Eish....have you got a link?

Saw that, these links I posted is from a very recent press release, seems it's becoming rife out there.

See they doing dimpled Zipp's now but still a 50mm rim.

So with all these chinese companies making (according to some hubbers) "great" value for money products, I still feel one needs to be careful.

After seeing one of these Geisha's fall apart at T.O.L. the past weekend I would have to say that I will not put my life in the hands of something that could potentially have me brain damaged for life.

Any fakes , any news on fakes can be posted in this thread.

This recently from Zipp.

http://www.zipp.com/...tory.php?ID=544

http://www.zipp.com/...counterfeit.php

Dangle you're a photographer, you didnt maybe take a pic of the bike? Would love to see it after failing.

Specialized had an article like this one a while back as well.

Problem is, they pretty much have to make statements like this. As a corporate, they always will.

My last employer was insistent that their products were the best in the world, best support, Best performance, etc. But I'm with a competitor who's saving people money with better products and far better support.

The fact is, it's always going to be "dangerous" when Zipp or spez is telling you about them. Just like the production companies will tell you how billions are lost via pirating movies and music, and it's killing the industry: bull. We all know the guys are just making less of a massive killing with their music.

Someone needs to explain how a genuine carbon bike costs more than most entry level cars. Design, testing, production, whatever. It's not justifiable.

I'm a Chinese carbon believer.

You make your choices

Edit: spelling

Of course you are, that explains your wonderful Aria.

Dangle you're a photographer, you didnt maybe take a pic of the bike? Would love to see it after failing.

Nope, I was walking up to dinner when we saw it.

Do we really need another Chinese Carbon thread? There is already one, and one dedicated to them breaking (which seems to not really be growing fast at all).

Do we really need another Chinese Carbon thread? There is already one, and one dedicated to them breaking (which seems to not really be growing fast at all).

Seems you are so clouded by Chinese carbon that you can't see the word fake.

This is a thread where people can become informed about fakes.

Unfortunately most of the fakes are chinese based.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Personally I dont think there is much wrong with Chinese carbon products. They get tested like the other frame manufacturers and yes you will get the odd failure. I do however think its wrong to sell these replica products to customers that are unaware of what they are buying. But that problem comes from human nature and not from Chinese carbon manufacturers. I mean you can buy a unbranded wheel from them as well and have it painted here in SA.

Ok. I think it's only fair you post about the failures of genuine brands too then?

This is about fakes, not things that break per se.

It's pure coincidence that the chines products tend to fail and also end up being a big part of the counterfeit procedure.

So read again.

Fakes and counterfeit products, the two links I posted will lead you there.

This could go a long way in helping people not to lose money like the unfortunate hubber the other day.

This is about fakes, not things that break per se.

It's pure coincidence that the chines products tend to fail and also end up being a big part of the counterfeit procedure.

Fear mongering. There seems to be more stories about "brand" bikes failing in the "Broken Chinese Carbon" thread than actual Chinese frames.

"tend to fail", pffft.