Argus 2014

vaalkol

I have been seeded VA, I was expecting $. I have an index of 4.1. I want to query mine.

I have a 4.9 and also in VA

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that they penalise older races, but that kind of negates doing any races early in the year as it is too short before this year's Argus and you get penalised when they consider them for next year's Argus. Doesn't that compromise the organisers advertising their events as seeding events for the Argus?

I agree that the whole penalty thing compromises some official events - doesn't make sense in that way.

But on the flip side, the penalty is applied consistently, everyone's 2013 Argus have the same penalty on their index, so nobody's treated unfairly. And the system rewards people who made the effort to improve their seeding post-Argus. That's the way I see it.

Doing it first time. Start at 9:16 (corporate group). Guessing it's rather relaxed (and hot) back there?

Edit: Ps on a 29er DS with knobblies...so I'm obviously going for the sub 3.

Edited by dre

I agree that the whole penalty thing compromises some official events - doesn't make sense in that way.

But on the flip side, the penalty is applied consistently, everyone's 2013 Argus have the same penalty on their index, so nobody's treated unfairly. And the system rewards people who made the effort to improve their seeding post-Argus. That's the way I see it.

I stay in the far east, do my herald, dispatch, Amashova, OFM, and I still cant improve my seeding, actually its worse.

Therefore I say the system you speak of is crap.

I have been seeded VA, I was expecting $. I have an index of 4.1. I want to query mine.

Dude I think some people are right in that the groups could be quite a bit smaller and therefore everybody gets pushed out.

Strangely they only used my Burger seeding (and not average of 3), but my index is 1.06 and I'm also riding VA.

Maybe Gary can create another excel file where you put in your group and index and then we can do some statistical analysis. Ahem, Gary...

Edit: I'm sure if you guys see the indexes and groups you'll be more relaxed. Personally I think the seeding system is quite good.

Edited by andydude

In E from C last year, so par for the course... just look at it like this: if any of you feel you will ride away off the front of your group, then predict it now, and then come back on the day after the Argus, tell us how you did, and we'll agree your seeding was wrong. Otherwise, just chill... :thumbup:

Edited by Thor Buttox

I stay in the far east, do my herald, dispatch, Amashova, OFM, and I still cant improve my seeding, actually its worse.

Therefore I say the system you speak of is crap.

I work in maths so I guess I find this whole seeding discussion more interesting than I really should. I think the majority of people that complain on this thread just didn't took the effort to understand the seeding system (and its really not that hard to get..) (I got my flamesuit on so hubbers feel free to flame me for saying this)

But for the little that its worth, in your case I agree that the system is flawed... Doesn't make sense that your'e in C given your results...

Edit: Unless it's also the smaller group thing Andydude mentioned

Edited by Skubarra

Was thirty-something in A last year, and demoted to C too.

sounds like they are thinning out the $, VA, VB, etc groups so everyone who doesn't make the cut gets pushed down to the alphabet soup, meaning you that were in A last year all of sudden find yourself in C, which make sense as I was expecting to be in $ but was left with VA.

Look if everybody is moved down, then surely the A from last year is now just the new Cs, meaning that C will do the same times as A last year. Would you rather start 200th in VA only to be dropped, or start where your capability says you are and ride in a group and improve your times and get a PB with people who are of the same ability? Stop moaning and pedal your bicycle. Only thing you could moan about is the group gaps, thats looking a bit dangerous, but having said that. If the new seeding groups are more accurate, there will be less group catching than before.

But for the little that its worth, in your case I agree that the system is flawed... Doesn't make sense that your'e in C given your results...

Edit: Unless it's also the smaller group thing Andydude mentioned

It's pretty easy to check whether the seeding groups makes sense relative to the indexes used so as soon as Gary has set up the shared file and people populate it we can analyse it.

It's pretty easy to check whether the seeding groups makes sense relative to the indexes used so as soon as Gary has set up the shared file and people populate it we can analyse it.

From what I've seen, if your seeding index is below 8 you get put in A, between 8 - 13 you land up in B, 13 - 16 gives you a C seeding...etc Not sure about Elites and Veterans. I'm in VB, my seeding index is 7.4. Girlfriend is in H, her seeding is 27.5.

Seeding index

A

8.00 B 13.00 C 16.00 D 19.00 E 21.50 F 24.00 G 27.00 H 31.00 I 35.00 J 39.00 K 43.00 L 47.50 M 52.00 N 57.00 O 63.00 P 69.00 Q 75.00 R 82.00 S 90.00 T 100.00

Any ideas as to what average time group T would do? First time I'm doing the Argus, so don't really know what to expect. How do you see what your seeding score is?