If going tubeless means not having to go through this, where do I sign up?

Uni

Thanks Vetseun maybe I should take a cell phone with me next time.

My problem too. Always forget the cell phone

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something with tubeles.

Did 35 km at Northern Farms on Sunday as I came out of the river section I hit a rock and cut in the sidewall. Carried my bike 5km back to the clubhouse. Tried to glue the tyre and then put the powder in, Pumped with a bomb but leaked out. The slime had stuck the tire to the rim no way I could get a tube in. Took my bike to Linden for new tyre R700 odd rand.

When I had tubes just replaced and off I went.

Any advice please?

You need decent tyre levers sometimes to clip off a tubeless tyre bead.

One way to loosen the bead is too put something under the rim to protect it and then stand on tyre right next to the lip, should pull any bead off the rim and then you can lever it off to fit a tube.

Edited by Skylark

tubeless will not perform miracles. I dont know why ppl think just because it is better (and lets just get that out of the way, TUBELESS IS BETTER), it's suddenly miraculous, and then one hardship later, suddenly its reverting back to the stone age, aka tubes. I dont get the faulted logic at work there.

Sidewall cuts are sumbitches no matter what type of tyre and tyre setup you have. But tubeless tyres can be a bugger to get on and off, notably with wire beads. But a tube will get you back home if the sidewall is badly cut and wont seal. Belts and braces, not an indictment upon tubeless.

Btw, buffy, are your wheels and tyres UST compatible or a ghetto setup?

Edited by Capricorn

Btw, OP, is your wheel and tyres US compatible or a ghetto setup?

If i couldn't figure out that a twist of my pump would allow me to get the other valve in, what are the chances I have any idea what is US Compatible and what is a ghetto setup. It's an el cheapo bike, so I dont' think it does anything.

I've packed my wheels into my car, as soon as i get a chance i'll pop into the bike shop and get them to advise if there's any point in doing any conversions on those - though I doubt it.

I want to be able to ride around my neighbourhood, but it seems there's a major problem with those darn thorns in the park so if some slime will help for now - i'll go with that till I get my new bike. Just don't want to have to spend what riding time i have fixing (or at least attempting to) punctures. :blush:

If i couldn't figure out that a twist of my pump would allow me to get the other valve in, what are the chances I have any idea what is US Compatible and what is a ghetto setup. It's an el cheapo bike, so I dont' think it does anything.

I've packed my wheels into my car, as soon as i get a chance i'll pop into the bike shop and get them to advise if there's any point in doing any conversions on those - though I doubt it.

I want to be able to ride around my neighbourhood, but it seems there's a major problem with those darn thorns in the park so if some slime will help for now - i'll go with that till I get my new bike. Just don't want to have to spend what riding time i have fixing (or at least attempting to) punctures. :blush:

lol.sorry OP. i meant Buffy :P So let me amend my post ;)

We all learn Uni, so dont sweat it. Hell, even I had to learn the hard way about swinging the rubber bit around in the pump valve :)

But I cannot urge you strongly enough to get those wheels converted: ghetto or UST, do it. You wont regret it, especially when you get home and see how many devilthorns are still stuck to your still inflated tyre. You'll be mega stoked. Do yourself a favor though, dont pull the thorn out, just break it off if possible. At least that's what i do. And check your tyre pressure every so often as some air does bleed out over time with multiple thorn stabbings.

We all learn Uni, so dont sweat it. Hell, even I had to learn the hard way about swinging the rubber bit around in the pump valve :)

*phew* , haha yeah as soon as I sort out the madness at work, I'll get round to finding out about those wheels.

interesting about breaking them off instead of pulling them out - makes sense. Will try it. :thumbup:

Fighting monsters like this and still finishing races with no serious problem (burp!!!)

what the hell... did u try bunnyhop a cactus/?!?!

Carry a tube and swap out as a last resort if you cant get it to seal.

A strip of latex and some of those ugly brown plugs (don't forget the applicating tools!) and some rubber glue will generally fix anything though. In the Elandsberg this year my tyres dissolved and at one point I was actually sticking sidewall cuts and blowouts together with Elastoplast, then duct tape, then re seating. This bodge job got me through about another 400km before I got new tyres near Willowmore...

I suppose the issue comes down to a basic understanding of how it all works. If you can understand the basics of anything bike related you can usually limp home with YOU riding the bike, not the bike riding you...

Carry a tube and swap out as a last resort if you cant get it to seal.

I couldn't find the hole - otherwise i would have patched - didn't have a bucket of water handy - as the security guard suggested as I pushed my bike past him.

Lesson learned on how to use my pump properly on the different valves - but 1st mistake is not buying the correct tubes *slap on hand* :blush:

Another lesson learned today, you can put slime in an existing tube, or you can sommer buy a tube, with slime already in it in a box for R70. :-D

^^ You can also put Stan's sealant in tubes, screw out the valve and squirt it in with a 50ml syringe. On presta tubes it's a mission to get the valve core thing out but it can be done, I did it - very carefully!

With tube and sealent your tires are almost bulletproof. You also don't get the burping some tubeless conversions struggle with. Just inflate your tires a little bit harder than for tubeless (1.8-2.0 depending on your weight) to prevent "snake bites". Sealent won't work with "snake bites", but just pop in a new tube, bomb, and you are on your way again.

Hope you have alot of smooth miles ahead.

that very thing snakebites, imo, negates the value of tubes + sealant. And then not to mention the weight, or the mess of trying to remove it all.

ewww

Some try to compensate by going for the lightest tubes, but then they increase the risk of snakebites, and then compensate by pumping the tyre up harder, and thus their grip starts circling the drain.Lose, lose. lose.

I'll say it again: you will not go wrong with tubeless. So many more advantages that straight tubes, or even tubes with sealant. Dump the lot. u wont go wrong Uni.

Edited by Capricorn

tubeless all the way - I took the leap earlier this year and have never looked back. Just keep in mind, your rims may not be able to go tubeless, as you need a dbl sided wall rim. Take the complete wheel past your LBS and they will tell you.....