36ONE MTB Challenge 2014

Stefan Cremer

Having entered the race a solo rider, I am truthfully in the dark as to how to train for such a long ride!

Are there any hubbers that has done this event solo, if so, how did you train and what is it like to keep on going for 361km? Furthest solo rise have done was 167km on the MTB on farm roads, which is still 200 odd km off the mark...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cycle 362km a few times and on the day you cruise knowing you have to do 1km less :thumbup:

No, i have no clue but flip that sounds intense all the best with the ride

Did my 1st last year & managed to come in 2nd solo rider. 17h48mins. Have to train long miles, full race distance not required at all. Start is at night which is great coz most of riding is at night - can't see the hills. Nutrition is crucial! Pacing urself crucial. To climb Rooiberg pass after u've done 280kms is a bitch & the pass is ruff. Its very cold in the early hrs of the morning. Lights: I rode with a magicshine 1000L & it lastest me 12hrs45mins. Only used settings 1 & 2. 2 only for going downhill. Rode start with light off, enuff lights around you.

Flippen heck, 2nd solo is really impressive! That length of time on the bike is hectic, mental toughness will surely be something which will be tested to the max!

Thanks for the info on the lights.

Did my entry yesterday......

This will be #3!

Very addictive!

Dr. Drey - do you have any lessons which you have learnt which you could maybe share?

do you want to finish or do you want to win ?

I never enter any race in an attempt to just finish it - but this is strange in the sense that the preparation for it is a bit of a dark area for me, as I have not ever done such a long event.

Would I like to win it - hell yes, who wouldn't???

Survived both on coffee and rusks....

Break it up into managable pieces...60 or 80km and go-go-go.

Be carefull not to pace yourself with the rellay boys....those guys go like the clappers!

This one's going on my to do list, solo.

I will meet you for beers at the next one. cannot do it this upcoming one, but the next one, four shore !

I will meet you for beers at the next one. cannot do it this upcoming one, but the next one, four shore !

I'd love to Slowbee, but it's going to have to wait a few years, I promised my wife I'd not do any long rides or stage races next year, and have already committed to do TransBaviaans again. So any more than that would be unfair to her and the family. I've got to reduce my cycling somehow, it has taken over my life :whistling:

and I want to do freedom Challenge in 5 years time, so I have to be very accommodating for the next 3 years...

Edited by deanbean

I'd love to Slowbee, but it's going to have to wait a few years, I promised my wife I'd not do any long rides or stage races next year, and have already committed to do TransBaviaans again. So any more than that would be unfair to her and the family. I've got to reduce my cycling somehow, it has taken over my life :whistling:

Cycling does indeed tend to do that quite easily! I have also committed to race less in 2014...