Robbie Hunter retiring...

Chro Mo

Is this correct :

"He has started the Tour de France nine times, finishing three times"

Quite a high number of DNF's maybe the reason teams want to invest in other riders rather ?

Guest Omega Man

Is this correct :

"He has started the Tour de France nine times, finishing three times"

Quite a high number of DNF's maybe the reason teams want to invest in other riders rather ?

Sprinters often don't finish the tour. As soon as they hit the mountains the sprinters bail.

Edited by Omega Man

I hope he stays in the sport, there must be loads he could contribute to SA cycling.

ps. 12 years later, I think the Hunter vs Minnaar debate has been settled. Sorry Robbie, you got 2nd place.

Sprinters often don't finish the tour. As soon as they hit the mountains the sprinters bail.

he mostly didn't finish due to crashes or injuries rather than bailing. eg ;ast year he pulled out after 2 or 3 bad falls in the first week. the year floyd 'won" he didn't do the last day because of saddle sores that saw him out the saddle for much of the penultimate stage.

Anyway, its a pity if he is retiring not on his own terms. I thought it might be nice if he could see out his career at MTN. The guy does not get enough credit in SA.

he mostly didn't finish due to crashes or injuries rather than bailing. eg ;ast year he pulled out after 2 or 3 bad falls in the first week. the year floyd 'won" he didn't do the last day because of saddle sores that saw him out the saddle for much of the penultimate stage.

Anyway, its a pity if he is retiring not on his own terms. I thought it might be nice if he could see out his career at MTN. The guy does not get enough credit in SA.

Agreed. He's helped quite a lot of the Saffas who have ventured overseas.

I would have really hoped he would go to MTN in a mentorship position, but maybe him and Doug don't see eye to eye?

Or quite possibly he is just moeg after a very long and prosperous career :thumbup:

gotta hand it to the guy, a seriously good term as a pro......so whats next, a bike shop? seriously though, would like to see him involved in a small U23 development team in SA.....

Guest Omega Man

Ah. I stand corrected.

Must be sad / hard for him especially seeing that he still thinks he has a year or 2 left in his legs.

Would be gr8 if CSA could use his experience to help prepare the up and coming riders, even better if he could be paid by CSA to run the CSA European house where all the youngsters get to stay for free while learning their trade....

Agreed. He's helped quite a lot of the Saffas who have ventured overseas.

Absolutely.

Daryl Impey@darylimpey2h

Well I have to admit that I am sad that @RobbieHunter is retiring especially since he is a great friend and I will miss him in the peloton. He put SA Cycling on the map and can't thank him enough for that and for helping me start my European career. Great teammate and fighter :)

I don't agree. They do haul themselves over those hills for the finally on the champs elesys for a chance to win and the big moolah payout. Any main sprinter would have a few things to say if his sprint train bailed and is not there to give him a lead out. Even for the sprinters finishing a tour is a big thing.

Must be sad / hard for him especially seeing that he still thinks he has a year or 2 left in his legs.

Would be gr8 if CSA could use his experience to help prepare the up and coming riders, even better if he could be paid by CSA to run the CSA European house where all the youngsters get to stay for free while learning their trade....

Damn good idea VAN