a bike tracker with potential

Shebeen

I actually wanted to apply for the patent in SA before I saw Harley Clarke's solution.

I have since bought one and will be testing it soon to see how well it works...

Will give feedback ;)

Looks like a good idea but it's pricey considering you would still need insurance even with the tracker system.

I imagine there might be a drop in insurance premiums using a tracker but only once it is a proven system.

I actually wanted to apply for the patent in SA before I saw Harley Clarke's solution.

I have since bought one and will be testing it soon to see how well it works...

Will give feedback ;)

Hopefully you won't give feedback because it would mean your bikes been stolen......

Hopefully you won't give feedback because it would mean your bikes been stolen......

Hehe no, testing would not include parking it unattended somewhere dodge ;)

I have my testing plan in order so if I can find it on average 9/10 times I would call that pretty successful.

Surely you need a micro tracker that can be placed in a variety of locations (up tubes, handlebars etc). Problem is with a lot they are part of the stem or seat post and as soon as people know trackers are in the country then they'll get pulled out.

Surely you need a micro tracker that can be placed in a variety of locations (up tubes, handlebars etc). Problem is with a lot they are part of the stem or seat post and as soon as people know trackers are in the country then they'll get pulled out.

Edd zachery, on cars they 50 times more places to hide the tracking device and still the criminals know where they are. Nevermind the fact that the two tracking companies I dealt with when I had units installed on cars, couldn't locate them when I phoned in. The one said the battery went flat within 3 months and the other said the unit was never on their radar due it being faulty....then there is the subscription cost.

With most of these ideas, it's just too easy to bypass. Just remove the transmitter, or dip the whole bike in a pool to screw the electronics.

I think what we need is some sort of gadget similar to a car's gear lock, but which locks the bike's rear wheel in an immovable position to the frame. Something mechanical, not electrical. Maybe some sort of lock that goes through the two pipes of the rear triangle, meaning the wheel can't move or be replaced.

But still, there will always be 2 problems: too much hassle, and always a way to bypass

• 4 years later...

news?

Hehe no, testing would not include parking it unattended somewhere dodge wink.png

I have my testing plan in order so if I can find it on average 9/10 times I would call that pretty successful.

4 year old thread 

as someone who had a bike stolen this week, and started the thread.....I'm listening!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Humble apologies but got side tracked .... for a few years ;)

I tested the unit extensively at that stage (sorry for the lack of feedback as was promised).

The main issues were:

• Battery life, you had to find it pretty quickly for it to still be on.
  • Get another sim card for transmission - bad reception.
  • Not weather proof - Not too hard to get by.
  • Cost - These units were around R2000 at that stage and wit tthe current exchange ...who knows

There were a few other niggles like the build quality and it not integrating with your existing headset as that would screw the signal of the GPS.

There are unfortunately only so many places you can hide this size of unit on a bicycle due to it's size.

But there are other options on the market wrt. gps that are now smaller and more power 'savvy' so that there is still probably an opportunity to make these work. 

I personally belief that a unit designed here in SA would be best suited as most of the the other options out there are meant for Europe etc. where things work a little different than here.

Even if you get to build a proper unit and hide it somewhere and get buy in from cyclists and maybe even insurers ... who will go and look for your bike once it's stolen....Do we need a company to do this and how will it be viable.

I have some ideas but they all really are chicken and egg situations.

Did some investigation and made contact with a company that are bringing something integrated very soon.  They asked me not to post any details here yet, but watch this space.

As soon as I have the go-ahead I will let you know.  It seems that they have been able to find solutions to the issues I highlighted above.

Archived