Watch out for CJ 32166

GBguy

I'm used to cars coming close to me on the R44 between Gordon's Bay and Rooiels. It's a fairly narrow road, without much of an emergency lane. I'm also used to a few motorists driving way too fast on this winding road. Sometimes I get the sense they are just not aware how close they have come, and other times I get the feeling they are trying to "teach me a lesson" - although I have no idea what I'm supposed to learn, since I'm always as close to the edge of the road as I can safely be.

But today I had someone come so close, and so fast, that it really felt like he (or she) wanted to kill me. Well, it's not the first time that's happened, and I can think of worse ways to go than while doing the thing I love. But three things made this one special. The first is that there was no other traffic around, he (or she) would have seen me a long time before they passed, and at that point we had two lanes in our direction (climbing up Clarence Drive) - so no excuses about crossing a solid white line. It was just bloody mindedness.

The second thing is that I met up later with a mate who was riding some distance ahead of me, and he said he had just had a narrow miss from a white Isuzu bakkie. I hadn't described the vehicle (and actually didn't know it was an Isuzu at that point). He said there was plenty of space for the driver to overtake him, too. And he's also a regular on this road - yet this one stuck in his mind.

And the third thing is that it just so happened that I was trying out a RoadHawk Ride security camera (to write a road test on this forum, if I live that long), so I was able to relive this moment when I got home, and to bring it to y'all in living colour.

Please, if anyone knows this person, ask him (or her) not to do this. It's just a matter of time before he (or she) kills a cyclist, which is going to change quite a few lives - including their own - forever. And if they are trying to teach us a lesson, would they mind telling us what it is?

post-32489-0-84526500-1380456198_thumb.jpg

post-32489-0-35866800-1380456204_thumb.jpg

post-32489-0-45410000-1380456208_thumb.jpg

post-32489-0-96790700-1380456231_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop the pictures off at all the local Isuzu dealers - someone will know the tjop

Glad he missed you though - that looks like far too close for comfort.

Send an email to the Paarl Post (cut and paste your post above) to warn cyclists in Paarl area about this vehicle. Hopefully by publishing his reg number someone will alert him to the fact that there is a warning out on his vehicle.

If only that gorgeous strip of tarmac had a wee bit more shoulder on both sides.

Just a mini pump's length...

Why flirt with death by riding that road????? ....... Crap like "it is my right" does not float when the the possibility that your life is at risk is escalated that much!!!!!!

Edited by Big H*

Remember riding there before the road was upgeaded, thinking back it was very scary then, but somehow I was never afraid of cars just the baboons foraging next to the road.

Seems you have enough evidence to to head off to the cop shop and lay a charge of reckless endangerment. even if nothing comes of it, the visit/phone call from the cops shouls have that **** thinking twice before trying that again.

May also want to drop off the image with Mr Robin Carlisle who promises to rid the roads of these menances. Next year is an election year so I'm sure you'll get some traction

Why flirt with death by riding that road????? ....... Crap like "it is my right" does not float when the the possibility that your life is at risk is escalated that much!!!!!!

It's a good question, and one which I'm sure the hundreds of cyclists who ride that road (and many others like it down here) every day ask themselves all the time. The best answer I have is that I won't surrender to the four-wheel bullies. This is not just any road - it is beyond beautiful, and it's on my doorstep. I moved to Gordon's Bay in no small part so that I could ride that road. Sure, it's a risk - but I'm willing (along with many hundreds of other cyclists) to take it. CJ32166 just has to come to terms with it - hopefully before he or she kills someone.

Seems you have enough evidence to to head off to the cop shop and lay a charge of reckless endangerment. even if nothing comes of it, the visit/phone call from the cops shouls have that **** thinking twice before trying that again.

May also want to drop off the image with Mr Robin Carlisle who promises to rid the roads of these menances. Next year is an election year so I'm sure you'll get some traction

Thanks GL. I'm not sure that a cop would see it my (our?) way, and if the driver was visited by the police I suspect they would be even more aggressive towards cyclists in future. Also, to be honest, I don't have the energy to deal with officialdom - I leave righteous indignation to younger people these days. However, I was rather hoping that someone might recognise this vehicle, and have a word with the driver, before blood is spilled.

Hi Lefty, no such charge as recless endangerment in RSA...it's recless and neglegent driving <rec and nec> or you could read up on road traffic law and search for something usefull to charge him with...I know you're trying to help and I too hate idiot drivers, but lets give useable advise. No disrespect indended bud, hope it helps GBguy

Is their any signs there like:

'Cyclists use this road - be alert'

Can't remember now when I last rolled there

That is such a stunning part of our coast line and now with the whales around bound to be popular with the tourists...all I hear in the van is oooohhh and aaahh...and cameras clicking when taking clients around that bit...more than enough space for cars and bikes... :thumbup: Boxes as above should just be traced and f*cked up... :ph34r:

go to the police and explain. they will get the name and address and if its a slow day, will visit the driver.

Remember riding there before the road was upgeaded, thinking back it was very scary then, but somehow I was never afraid of cars just the baboons foraging next to the road.

They are still around. I've not heard of them becoming aggressive (at least on this side of the Bay) but the big danger is that they don't see you coming and run in front of you - not funny when you're doing 60km/h or more. I always bark at them to let them know I'm coming. Amuses the hell out of my buddies. But the closest I came to disaster was when a small antelope (maybe a dikdik) ran in front of me early one morning when I was going full tilt past Dappat se Gat (yup, that's what it's called) - it was just sheer luck that I missed it.