Statins and Cramps

F111

I have been on cholesterol lowering statins and on the bestmed 80Km I experience bad cramps in my legs for the first time. The only change from previous races I have taken the tablets the morning before the race (Tritace and Lipitor), I normally take the tables after the race. I have always experienced small cramps after about 50Km and I was able to cope with no real performance drop. On the Bestmed race it was so bad that my performance was down and I could not get of the bike when I went over the timing mats. My legs are still sore and I don't recover as with previous races. Anyone with the same problems.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cholesterol medication are known to cause craps with and without exercise.

This is why they recommend you take the cardio disprin with the cholestrol medication at night before you go to bed.

I'm currently using Aspavor 20 mg. together with the disprin even though I do not have high blood pressure.

I also found that taking the BIOGEN Cramp prevent in the morning and night time helps for me

You also need to drink enough fluids (water) when taking the cholesterol medication.

I have read that Lipitor can give you cramps, maybe ask your doctor if he can change your meds. I've been on Caduet for hypertension & cholesterol for about 2 years now and I don't suffer from cramps. (I think that Caduet is a combination of Lipitor & Norvasc).

Edited by d@vid

I have read that Lipitor can give you cramps, maybe ask your doctor if he can change your meds. I've been on Caduet for hypertension & cholesterol for about 2 years now and I don't suffer from cramps. (I think that Caduet is a combination of Lipitor & Norvasc).

I have gone for blood tests last Friday and have had this discussion with my doctor. I also were taking Water tables(Natrilix) and my thinking was that this was the cause of the cramps, last week Thursday was the last one I took. Now I know its not the natrilix but the Lipitor. Will have to change or go of the Lipitor

I have read horror stories of statins, including muscle problems, memory loss, increased cancer risk......

you are better off reducing your cholesterol with diet and excercise

I have read horror stories of statins, including muscle problems, memory loss, increased cancer risk......

My cholesterol is very low I am Fit for my age (R HR 58) I could lose 10Kg. I have always been a gym member and spin more than 3 hours a week. I did the 94.7 last year for the first time on a friends mtb now I have my own bike and have done more than 15 races this year and slowly improving my time. I will see this week when my blood test results is at the doctor.

The problem is that you can only reduce your cholesterol with diet and exercise up to a point.

If you inherited your cholesterol you can exercise and diet as much as you like it will not make a difference.

I have tried the diet and exercise and it didn't make a big enough difference for me.

When I discovered I had a cholesterol problem my fasted reading was somewhere above 8.

At that point I was already exercising.

When I changed my diet I came down to 7.

So no diet and exercise is not always going to give you the desired results.

The problem is that you can only reduce your cholesterol with diet and exercise up to a point.

If you inherited your cholesterol you can exercise and diet as much as you like it will not make a difference.

I have tried the diet and exercise and it didn't make a big enough difference for me.

When I discovered I had a cholesterol problem my fasted reading was somewhere above 8.

At that point I was already exercising.

When I changed my diet I came down to 7.

So no diet and exercise is not always going to give you the desired results.

I dropped from 7 to 4, following Prof Tim Noaks' low carb high fat diet. Lost 16kgs as well. Then started training using Dr Philip Maffetone's program, which focuses on training your body to use fat as endurance fuel and not carbs.

Racing results have also been out of this world, from racing from K and L batches in Feb, to A Batch starts now.

There are many people with similar results, so correct diet and exercise does help.

I dropped from 7 to 4, following Prof Tim Noaks' low carb high fat diet. Lost 16kgs as well. Then started training using Dr Philip Maffetone's program, which focuses on training your body to use fat as endurance fuel and not carbs.

Racing results have also been out of this world, from racing from K and L batches in Feb, to A Batch starts now.

There are many people with similar results, so correct diet and exercise does help.

Thanks for this, I Googled Dr Philip Maffetone and I found this link:

http://philmaffetone.com/2-week-test. I'm going to give this a go.

High cholesterol is a marker of a high risk of heart disease, but is not the main cause. The real problem is chronic inflammation. See for example:

http://www.sott.net/...s-heart-disease

There are also some natural alternatives to statins that are worth taking a look at. One of the most promising is curcumin, the yellow ingredient in the indian spice turmeric. It reportedly lowers cholesterol, but has a myriad of other health benefits. The main one is it acts against chronic inflammation. The other main one is that it protects and against cancer.

I got the following from my chemist he is also a cyclist, co enzyme q10 and SLOW-K and I must up my slow mag to 4 tables the night before the race

Speaking from personal experience....was on Lipitor for about two years and ruptured my Achilles tendon climbing stairs. Ortho told me that there is anecdotal evidence that these drugs have a negative effect on some musculoskeletal soft tissue structures.

Now on the Disprin, exercise and diet management plan