CRC - Duties with DHL?? What should I be paying - HELP

Caerus

Hi all,

Just got a call from DHL to tell me they are working out the vat/duties I need to pay, what should I be expecting to pay for wheelset & cassette.

How does this work with DHL exactly?

I can't believe that the wheels were in Ireland yesterday and already being shipped to Cape Town shortly :eek:

Regards

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just got a call from DHL to tell me they are working out the vat/duties I need to pay, what should I be expecting to pay for wheelset & cassette.

How does this work with DHL exactly?

I can't believe that the wheels were in Ireland yesterday and already being shipped to Cape Town shortly :eek:

Regards

If no fabric in the package and parts only you should be paying VAT only as far as I am aware.

You'll pay a DHL handling fee of around R100.

Then on cycling spares, you're looking at 15.4% VAT on the landed cost.

You'll pay a DHL handling fee of around R100.

Then on cycling spares, you're looking at 15.4% VAT on the landed cost.

what the downhill man above said

It's VAT on the cost of the items plus a R150 DHL clearance/handling fee. It used to be R100 but it's gone up.

DHL do what they call a 'pre-clearance', so even though your stuff isn't in SA yet, they have been notified that it's on it's way, so they get their paperwork ready so that it goes through quicker.

Enjoy.

it's probably still in the UK. but they get forwarded the shipment details so they prep the pro forma invoices which u pay. Then it's just a straight delivery to your day. If it comes to ZA directly that is.. (ask Mayhem).

you'll be paying 14% VAT on the landed costs of the package and then an additional handling fee. No customs though.

Edited by Capricorn

What do I pay the postage for if I now have to pay a flipping handling fee?

Also should I rather have just gone the free delivery route for next time, its been so long since I've ordered anything from overseas.

From DHL:

Please be advised that effective 1st June 2013, the DHL Express disbursement service charge for VAT & Duties will be 2%, with a minimum of R150 per shipment. The 2% is calculated on the total VAT & Duties paid on behalf of customers to South African Customs.

FYI, UPS are charging R105 + vat for a clearance.

Edited by rock

What do I pay the postage for if I now have to pay a flipping handling fee?

Also should I rather have just gone the free delivery route for next time, its been so long since I've ordered anything from overseas.

someone has to clear the shipment through customs.......R150 is cheap, you can come to me, I'll do it for a grand.......

someone has to clear the shipment through customs.......R150 is cheap, you can come to me, I'll do it for a grand.......

Oh I was thinking that would have been part of the 30 quid I spent to have it sent DHL, oh well. School fees again I guess.

Another question needing clarifying please. If the commercial invoice sent to me by DHL from CRC only states that I have purchased a cassette for £40 plus postage & packaging, no mention of the wheelset I bought.

Does that mean I will only be taxed on that amount or will they open the box and see that there are wheels in there as well? Slightly confused because it says that the wheels have been shipped. Could it be that I don't get taxed on the wheelset?

I see now that the wheelset is being sent via Parcelforce and the cassette via DHL, even though I did the transaction at the same time, really weird and confusing, WTF?

Edited by Caerus

You will pay a 15.4% tax on both imports.

You will have to prepay dhl before you collect. Dhl also charge a R150 handling fee.

The wheels will have the price you paid for them on the shipping manifest, so no getting out of the vat on that one either

You will pay a 15.4% tax on both imports.

You will have to prepay dhl before you collect. Dhl also charge a R150 handling fee.

The wheels will have the price you paid for them on the shipping manifest, so no getting out of the vat on that one either

Not so much the vat I'm worried about, more the fact why did I pay for DHL and then one parcel ends up being sent via Parcelforce.

Is Parcelforce not the free option for deliveries over a certain amount?

They ship as they see fit.

I had 2 separate orders 3 weeks ago, 1 day apart. One was dhl, other was parcelforce. The dhl parcel arrived 5 days later, I collected the parcelforce package today.

Both orders were of the same rand value, but I paid a much higher duty through dhl.

Go figure.

No hard and fast rule to apply. Time will tell.

No reason your experience should be any different from mine

OK cool, thanks for the info. Much appreciated, guess i get to play the waiting game, as well as the fun of tracking two parcels now. Probably better then that the smaller, cheaper cassette went with DHL I suppose.

How annoying, Parcelforce are now two days behind the DHL chaps, I will have the DHL parcel tomorrow and only ordered on Monday :thumbup:

I see now what that extra R150 handling fee get you. Just annoying that both parts of the same order never got sent at the same time via DHL :cursing: