Seatpost, saddle, and setup

SimpleDom

Hi,

I need a bit of help. I've been for a fitting at 2 places now (Cyclefit and HPC at Tuks), and both agree that I need to be higher up (Longer seatpost) but as a result, need to move my saddle more forward to get back over the pedals correctly.

I'm 1.98m tall. I'm already on a 400 seatpost, but right on the limit. They wanted to raise it a little more, but can't. I'm on a Giant Anthem X 1 (XL Frame size). I'm thinking of getting a 410 so that there is a little more seatpost in frame so I don't end up with a classic giant broken frame.

The problem is the higher I take the saddle, the further back I go, and I've run out of rail on the saddle to move it more forward. Is there such a thing as a lay-forward seatpost? I'm not really sure what to do here, I've tried to look around but can't find one. I'm probably using the wrong name for the thing.

Both fitters didn't like the idea of being on the end of the saddle rails. I've I'm going to spend more money on a new seatpost (410 to add a little more support in the frame), I'd love to solve the lay forward problem too.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Saddle fore aft should have been part of their set up too.

Yes, you do get a forward facing seat post, but they look ridiculous. You can buy a normal post and turn it around.

Thanks. Can all brands be turned around? Not designed to handle different stresses? I don't really care how it looks if it get's me pedalling properly.

There was some fore and aft setting, but it's now all to compensate for the other components not quite catering for the "correct" position.

You can use the Thomson Elite setback, in the reverse position.

This is from the FAQ on the Thomson site;

Q – Can I flip my set back post around to be a “set forward” to use my road bike for triathlon?

A – Yes you may. You may need to turn the top clamp to face the front of the bike for saddle adjustment.

Hope you can solve the issue.

Happy Hoopin

If you are going to buy a new post just get the Thomson straight post, zero offset.

+1 on this suggestion.

Make sure that this geometry will then suit your setup.

Forgive the stupid question here. I already have the Ritchey 0mm offset (this one: http://ritcheylogic....k-seatpost.html), and It's still too far back. How would the Thomson zero offset improve things?

It won't, the way you spoke it sounded like you had an offset post.

If you can't come right with a zero offset post then I will say that the set-up from both entities might be wrong.

What saddle you using DomP? The reason I'm asking is because Fizik will release a "29R Specific" saddle soon. It has longer rail adjustment to bring you forward/more ove the BB

What saddle you using DomP? The reason I'm asking is because Fizik will release a "29R Specific" saddle soon. It has longer rail adjustment to bring you forward/more ove the BB

Yes. That conversation. I've been waiting for that saddle, but seems that the rails still wouldn't be long enough after I had to raise the seatpost even more. I'm currently using the Fizik Gobie with Kium rails.

It won't, the way you spoke it sounded like you had an offset post.

If you can't come right with a zero offset post then I will say that the set-up from both entities might be wrong.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm stumped. I've been to Cyclefit twice, and that's why I went for another opinion.

Edited by DomP

Yes. That conversation. I've been waiting for that saddle, but seems that the rails still wouldn't be long enough after I had to raise the seatpost even more. I'm currently using the Fizik Gobie with Kium rails.

Sorry about the confusion. I'm stumped. I've been to Cyclefit twice, and that's why I went for another opinion.

You must have a very long femur.

Yes. That conversation. I've been waiting for that saddle, but seems that the rails still wouldn't be long enough after I had to raise the seatpost even more.

I've got a prototype if you want to check it out. The rails give you 25mm more adjustment; the same as facing an offset post to the front I believe

I've got a prototype if you want to check it out. The rails give you 25mm more adjustment; the same as facing an offset post to the front I believe

Thanks. Sent you a PM.

Dude, same issue as I had - im also 1.98m

What sorted it out for me was one of these:

http://bikethomson.c...ck_elite_69.jpg

Its about 410mm instead of 400mm and has ovalled walls for extra strength. I ride a 21.5inch bike and should ideally be riding a 23" bike. This seatpost helps with that, although im slightly off angle on the handle bars as a result, but nothing major. Developed such an issue with PFPS from having an incorrect setup, that moving to this new seatpost, has solved it completely.

I see the Giant X 1 XL is about 22" so the setback could work, but you could possible just get away with the 410mm straight seatpost.

Last think you want to do is oval your frame, pretty much trash material after that.

Edited by Surv0MTB

Dude, same issue as I had - im also 1.98m

What sorted it out for me was one of these:

http://bikethomson.c...ck_elite_69.jpg

Its about 410mm instead of 400mm and has ovalled walls for extra strength. I ride a 21.5inch bike and should ideally be riding a 23" bike. This seatpost helps with that, although im slightly off angle on the handle bars as a result, but nothing major. Developed such an issue with PFPS from having an incorrect setup, that moving to this new seatpost, has solved it completely.

I see the Giant X 1 XL is about 22" so the setback could work, but you could possible just get away with the 410mm straight seatpost.

Last think you want to do is oval your frame, pretty much trash material after that.

Thanks man. Appreciate the feedback. I just called the guy at the HPC again, and he reckons we may also get away with the straight post. What I really need to is get someone to let me try both in the fitment place so that I don't have to make a +- R800 mistake.

Get the fitment people to set the seatpost at the height the new seatpost would give. This wont be for a prolonged period so wont cause any issues with the frame, but you will definitely be able to tell if the height is sufficient.

Either way the Tompson Elite seatposts are awesome, I would get the 410mm regardless if you need a longer post, not really any other option anyway, you need a longer post.

The setback is only needed if the frame is quite long enough.