Rogue riders: how to find a workable solution?

Cassie

I'm starting a seperate topic which adresses this growing scurge...also in light of recent posts on routes closures...ect.

I'm a member of a MTB club and we are facing similar, growing problem. First one, now a secnd farm has closed its tracks to us! we have invested over 130 man-hours during winter to get a very nice piece of single track open...only to face closure now due to rogue riders!! :cursing:

I want to open a discussion as to what we can possibly do (in general) or implement to curb this growing problem.

(1) appoint guards on trails - costly?

(2) get landowners to prosecute trespassers? (it might have negative publicity on wine farmers which rely on us to buy their products)

(3) ???

I would like to hear from other club & trail members on how to find workable solutions...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cassie when does a rider become a rogue rider ? How does the farmer know ? I assume the club got access to areas just for club members and now you get people from outside riding these trails without knowing the rules etc ?

scapegoats need to take the hit,

get some photographic evidence, name and shame.

the viral fallout should do the trick.

For those of us not following every single thread, please post links to other threads that describe issues with these rogue riders.

Rogue rider, being someone who rides without paying?

I think it's more the guys that litter and don't respect other riders and the landowners.

Unfortunately as the sport grows, so do the types of people associated with the sport. If you look on our streets and see the way in which motorist behave and "couldnt give a damn attitude" with regards to rules of the road, one would certainly find these are the types that are rogue

I have mentioned in the other theads about utilising booms, but at the end of the day these will probably be vandalised. Its just a pity that there isnt a "gate house" where there is someone all the time, you pay this person, he lets you through

I am interested to see the replies here, I want to put together and link up some trails in Magalies but I dont know how you keep people off who dont contribute (either financially or physically!) on the trails?

Cassie, I am also part of the same club to be able to use the trails, and I think it is very difficult. I have made some effort to ask guys that I meet on the routes whether they are members, and 90% of the time the answer is Yes.

How would you enforce this, and yes, how does the landowner know who are rogue riders. What is a rogue rider per definition?

Not an easy problem to resolve.

Cassie, I am also part of the same club to be able to use the trails, and I think it is very difficult. I have made some effort to ask guys that I meet on the routes whether they are members, and 90% of the time the answer is Yes.

How would you enforce this, and yes, how does the landowner know who are rogue riders. What is a rogue rider per definition?

Not an easy problem to resolve.

Really enforce the club riders to wear their club "boards".

I'm starting a seperate topic which adresses this growing scurge...also in light of recent posts on routes closures...ect.

I'm a member of a MTB club and we are facing similar, growing problem. First one, now a secnd farm has closed its tracks to us! we have invested over 130 man-hours during winter to get a very nice piece of single track open...only to face closure now due to rogue riders!! :cursing:

I want to open a discussion as to what we can possibly do (in general) or implement to curb this growing problem.

(2) get landowners to prosecute trespassers? (it might have negative publicity on wine farmers which rely on us to buy their products)

(3) ???

I would like to hear from other club & trail members on how to find workable solutions...

Watter plaas het nou sy deure vir ons gesluit Cassie? Wat het by Simonsig gebeur by the way? Die closure van access daar deur het my commute werk toe en terug mooi opgebogger...baie jammer daai.

On the Wannabee's trails I'd say one out of three or four riders are displaying the relevant access boards over weekends....grinds my nuts when I see it.

I think it's more the guys that litter and don't respect other riders and the landowners.

and the guys that don't pay. Also bear in mind it's not just MTB'ers that are causing problems.

If it's a cost thing, you have to accept the losses and make an example if you get the opportunity to. Giba has this problem. There is access from all sides. For the most part, people obey the rules and pay the fee. There are always those "that are just passing through". They won't go away though.

From a land access point of view it's difficult. Tongaat Hulett had loads of rideable land and the MTBers had access to parts of the estate that the estate manager couldn't get to. He got loads of feedback regarding all sorts of things. Then a few f'ed it up for everyone. They shut the doors and chased everyone away. There were months of negotiations that went on between KZNMTB, Ethekwini and THS. Ethekwini MTB was born and now you need a permit to ride marked trails only. If you do not have a board you will be prosecuted and they do check.

You can't stop someone from jumping a fence and trespassing, but you can prosecute them if they are caught.

Try get hold of Mike Bradley. I think he was involved in the negotiations. If not then he can point you in the right direction.

(3) ???

Please make the member boards bit smaller for next year? :blush:

Archived