Triathlon ......

JGR

Anyone here using the Suunto Ambit 1?

I recently bought one (got it for a massive bargain) and is my first intro the sports watch world.

So far I have found the watch works well on run and ride settings however I am having trouble with the multisport and/or triathlon settings. Most people have told me that all I need to do is start on that setting and it will automatically detect the different disciplines. However it gives me one reading at the end and I find myself having to do a lot of mathematical calculations in race to work out how far I am distance wise and what my actual pace is on a specific leg of the race. When I upload my "move" it does not show my splits so sort of have to work it out according to hr fluctuations and approximate distance.

How am I supposed to be using these functions to get the best benefit? Any help is much appreciated.

I have the Ambit 2s - you need to create a new sport and not use the tri option as it doesn't include transition. Create a new sport as 1. Swimming, 2. Other, 3, Cycling, 4. Other 5. Run

Providing it works the same all you do it hold the stop/start button and it ends the one sport and starts the other

This way will show you a break down of all

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a TOMTOM multisport watch - will report back on how it is, another option to the Garmin, Suunto etc.

the only problem I foresee so far is the battery time is 10hrs - gonna have to up the training to finish the IM before the watch dies.... maybe just a good training tool and for shorter races - maybe they can figure a way to increase the battery life with a new firmware version or something...

52 possibly 50

I would think 52 ,54 would be too big.

Thanks guys. I had figured 52 was probably my best bet. Now just to find something that isn't too pricey!

I have the Ambit 2s - you need to create a new sport and not use the tri option as it doesn't include transition. Create a new sport as 1. Swimming, 2. Other, 3, Cycling, 4. Other 5. Run

Providing it works the same all you do it hold the stop/start button and it ends the one sport and starts the other

Thanks - gonna give that a go.

I bought a TOMTOM multisport watch - will report back on how it is, another option to the Garmin, Suunto etc.

the only problem I foresee so far is the battery time is 10hrs - gonna have to up the training to finish the IM before the watch dies.... maybe just a good training tool and for shorter races - maybe they can figure a way to increase the battery life with a new firmware version or something...

How does it charge?

You can charge the Garmin Forerunner 910XT during use with a product like a Power Monkey, so the battery life is actually almost endless.

Other option is to see if you can set the GPS polling rate to a longer interval like 3, 10 or 60 seconds.

This way much less battery is used by the GPS not constantly working. On a tri it's mostly straight so don't forsee it being as "out" as for example a twisty singletrack trail run.

Is that not the same as the NikeSports+ GPS watch?

post-182-0-20299900-1386860525_thumb.png

Battery life is also not great on it, does not last even 10 hrs (+/- 7 days with minimal use)

How does it charge?

You can charge the Garmin Forerunner 910XT during use with a product like a Power Monkey, so the battery life is actually almost endless.

Other option is to see if you can set the GPS polling rate to a longer interval like 3, 10 or 60 seconds.

This way much less battery is used by the GPS not constantly working. On a tri it's mostly straight so don't forsee it being as "out" as for example a twisty singletrack trail run.

If its the same as the Nikesports+ then it charges with a usb connection and there are no settings where you can adjust the recording / polling rate...well not that I know of anyway

If its the same as the Nikesports+ then it charges with a usb connection and there are no settings where you can adjust the recording / polling rate...well not that I know of anyway

Ok would that usb connection allow it to be used while charging like mounting it on the bike so it runs off of the external for the bike leg? Would it still function while charging or does it shut off?

Is that not the same as the NikeSports+ GPS watch?

post-182-0-20299900-1386860525_thumb.png

Battery life is also not great on it, does not last even 10 hrs (+/- 7 days with minimal use)

Nope, not the nike+ watch. that was developed between Nike and tomtom.

Tomtom have developed their own watch now..

Check the info below, the review on the watch.. there have been quite a few improvements with software releases since this review.

It seems pretty cool though.. I got the bundled version, its got HR, Cadence etc for the bike..

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/07/tomtom-runner-multisport.html

in the triathlon setting if you press the lap button when you come in and out of transition with this not then give you your splits?

Ok would that usb connection allow it to be used while charging like mounting it on the bike so it runs off of the external for the bike leg? Would it still function while charging or does it shut off?

Its a running watch so I imagine it would be possible but somewhat bulky and cavemanish to strap on a bike all while connected to an external power source

Nope, not the nike+ watch. that was developed between Nike and tomtom.

Tomtom have developed their own watch now..

Check the info below, the review on the watch.. there have been quite a few improvements with software releases since this review.

It seems pretty cool though.. I got the bundled version, its got HR, Cadence etc for the bike..

http://www.dcrainmak...multisport.html

Thanks for that link, definitely seems like Tomtom moved on with the initial design while Nike chose to not develop it any further.

The Nike+ watch is fine if you just want to use it as a basic watch to record time and distance, but it does have issues with battery life and finding satellites sometimes.

Its a running watch so I imagine it would be possible but somewhat bulky and cavemanish to strap on a bike all while connected to an external power source

True but it's cheaper than a new watch! No use recording/measuring half of the activity.

Garmin even has this branded PM unit with a mount and solar panel https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by-accesories/batteries/external-power-pack/prod86599.html

Other option could be to use your phone to record/measure part of an event and the rest with a watch, but not really practical.

True but it's cheaper than a new watch! No use recording/measuring half of the activity.

Garmin even has this branded PM unit with a mount and solar panel https://buy.garmin.c.../prod86599.html

Other option could be to use your phone to record/measure part of an event and the rest with a watch, but not really practical.

Yeah the Nike+ sports watch I suspect is aimed at the average keep fit types who run short distances a few times a week rather than the serious endurance types who train a few hours or more per day

The Tomtom unit looks like it has much better software and better suited for serious endurance types.

Makes you wonder how we managed to track stuff in the days before micro chips and processors

different colored ball point pens?

At full ironman you have an additional 2 bags for the special needs tables. One for the bike and one for the run. Here you can store extra nutrition, or a top if you are planning to run late. However, you lose what you don't use - you can't go after the race to pick it up.

Really? that seems harsh esp wrt clothes for possible cold weather.

in the triathlon setting if you press the lap button when you come in and out of transition with this not then give you your splits?

Im not sure tbh as its still quite new. The custom multi mode was suggested on dcrainmaker if I remember correctly

• 1 month later...

I hope everyone has had some time to do good training... Other than 70.3 and IMSA, what other triathlons has everyone got planned for this year?

I'm starting with the Sasol Cross on 23rd of February