BB External bearings - The cheap rebuild

dirtrider

Here follows instructions on how to rebuild your Shimano External BB's at a cost of R30.00 (your labour excluded ) I did not use the Press, puller or any other funny tools as I know most people only own a hamer and a screwdriver . OK I also used a knife but a steak knife should also work .

Tools :

1 x medium size Flat tip screwdriver

1 x rubber mullet (half a brick will also work)

1 x Knife

Spares :

2 x 6805.2RS-DYZ @ R15.00ea

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20080219_090454_DSC01593.JPG

Take of the plastic bit using your knife . Don't break it as we will need to use it again . Use the blunt edge of the knife and work it around the edge

Put the bearing on a flat surface and from the inside (thread will be at top) using your medium screwdriver lightly start tapping all around the edge of the bearing that is still in the casing .20080219_090925_DSC01594.JPGdirt-rider2008-02-19 09:09:30

20080219_090959_DSC01595.JPG

The bearing should be flush with the housing now . Now you need to get some space between the surface and the bearing . Again tap the sides of the bearing untill it falls out . It comes out very easy .

20080219_091259_DSC01587.JPG

Push the new bearing into cap . If you have cleaned everything properly the new bearing will easily go in untill about halfway .

20080219_091513_DSC01590.JPG

push the rest of the bearing . If you have not got a vice then two pieces of wood and a g-clamp works just as well . Use the old bearing to push the new nearing in untill it seats .

ok sorry thats about it . outta photos . Now you just put your plastic thingy back and away you go . You can get the bearing from bearingman , FAG or almost any place that sells them . Got mine from Centurion Bearing Supplies .

Very important not to damage the plastic seals when you remove them. They dont like it. Mud Dee2008-02-19 09:25:51

Please note the following . There are actaully a difference between LX,XT and XTR bearings . LX does not use sealed bearing and their bearing caps are 1mm longer ! Now this means you can only put sealed bearing into XT , XTR caps . A sealed bearing is alwasy 1mm thicker than a normal bearing .

So WTH does that mean ? Nothing really since you can still put sealed bearing into LX caps even if it's 1mm thicker . Anyway if you go and buy bearing and you say "not sealed bearings please " they will most probably chase you out .

I particularly like the writing in this photo:

20080219_091513_DSC01590.JPG

PS. If you want to get not sealed bearings without being chased out, just ask for plain 6805 bearings (it should be the same size as the .2RS though, so why bother?).