BB External bearings - The cheap rebuild

dirtrider

I love this, especially the dire Shimano warning of DO NOT DISASSEMBLE! 

What do they think's gonna happen if you press a new bearing in? Bust a ball?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smiley36.gif Oh my goodness I have only seen that now ! Well I can say that I did not bust a ball nor has any other bad luck struck me since disassembling that thing .

oops i guess you just voided the warrantee.

i think we should have a "Tech to keep" then we can move these there, and not clutter up the first page with stickys

erm, not related, does anyone know where i can get el- cheapo bevel gears? just to play around with

erm' date=' not related, does anyone know where i can get el- cheapo bevel gears? just to play around with[/quote']

You could try RS Components, though their prices can be a bit steep.

Otherwise go and browse a hobby shop. I've seen a couple of 'mechanism kits' with gears and such. They would also have spare RC stuff (though, rather like bike parts, you begin to suspect the 'special' RC label just ends up tripling the price)

erm' date=' not related' date=' does anyone know where i can get el- cheapo bevel gears? just to play around with[/quote'']

You could try RS Components, though their prices can be a bit steep.

Otherwise go and browse a hobby shop. I've seen a couple of 'mechanism kits' with gears and such. They would also have spare RC stuff (though, rather like bike parts, you begin to suspect the 'special' RC label just ends up tripling the price)

Thank you VERY MUCH

I thought bearingman and similiar would stock it, even browsed skiffy

!!!!!

ok sorry thats about it . outta photos . Now you just put your plastic thingy back and away you go . You can get the bearing from bearingman ' date=' FAG or almost any place that sells them . Got mine from Centurion Bearing Supplies . [/quote']

So MTB riders (and other real men) get their bearings from bearing man, Marius gets his from FAG.smiley36.gif

ok sorry thats about it . outta photos . Now you just put your plastic thingy back and away you go . You can get the bearing from bearingman ' date=' FAG or almost any place that sells them . Got mine from Centurion Bearing Supplies . [/quote']

So MTB riders (and other real men) get their bearings from bearing man' date=' Marius gets his from FAG.[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley36.gif[/img]

Or you can get FAG from bearing man if you ask nicely.....

Personally, I'll deal with SKF and leave FAG out of the equation.

Hmmm.... SKF make a 61805-2RS1 (?25IS x ?37OS x 7thk - can you confirm these sizes Dirt Rider?), but have no stock in SA.....

Also, you mentioned LX/XT/XTR, but what about 105/Ultergra/DA - any experience there?

I am not to sure about that SKF bearing size , going to bearingman this afternoon and will get info . Like Thug said I know somebody with a road bike but its got Campy . I am sure the bearing caps are the same i.e LX - 105 , Ultegra-xt etc . Maybe Johan can help .

Not sure about road vs MTB Shimano but what I can say is that LBB has XT external BB on his roadbike with Ultegra cranks so I guess it should be the same?

Brilliant post!smiley32.gif<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As anybody tried this with a ISIS BB?

Greatwhite: the 61805 is the same size as the 6805. It appears to have a lower speed rating, but since your cadence is unlikely to hit 11 000, this is probably not going to be a problem.