BB External bearings - The cheap rebuild

dirtrider

Ive got the same question but would also like to know what tool you used to take the BB out if you do not have a BB Cup tool?

A simple self closing pipe wrench works well. One that the plumber brings to turn pipes into threaded sockets in your garden. Doesn't mark the BB at all. Those BB spanners strip the grooves if the cup is tight.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Silverback storm and XT 2x 10 drivetrain - which BB should I look for when buying a new one - English thread and what what ?

Don't need it but looking at the different ones ( external ) I am not sure what the spec if of mine how do I know what to buy

I have a Silverback storm and XT 2x 10 drivetrain - which BB should I look for when buying a new one - English thread and what what ?

Don't need it but looking at the different ones ( external ) I am not sure what the spec if of mine how do I know what to buy

External cups or pressfit....Do you have a picture of your crank whilst on the bike...from the top prefer.

I think the storm is BB-30 pressfit

External cups or pressfit....Do you have a picture of your crank whilst on the bike...from the top prefer.

I think the storm is BB-30 pressfit

its external

its external

If so, any BB made to work with a 24mm spindle will work. Raceface, Shimano, Aerozine, Hope, Chris King etc.

Make sure of how wide your BB shell is (measure the BB part of the frame with the bike upside down. It'll either be 68mm, 73mm or 83mm. The 68/73 use the same BB, the 83mm has a longer plastic tube in the middle.

its external

68-73MM BB's will work but before you do that....go to page one of this thread and rebuild the old ones, you only need two new 2 x 6805 bearings, a bit of grease and you are laughing...will cost a lot less.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey DR, Is there a specific grease you would recommend for the bearings, or doesn't it really matter?

Hey DR, Is there a specific grease you would recommend for the bearings, or doesn't it really matter?

grease is grease..... whatever cheap grease you can find use it!

• 1 month later...

Ok, for those in Pretoria. Place called bearing net in silverton has cheap and expensive ones- R33 for cheap each and R63 for name brand ones each excl vat. Going to try both and report back.

They are at 288 President road.

Also had a good haul from the LBSes today and found a couple of spare cups, so going to have a backup. Now to mangle the dust cover to be an insert only.

Ok, so I did made a few mods.

Due to the bearing being slightly wider I took the standard spacer and ground down the lip so that it could click in all the way. I also took the wide edge off it. ended up looking as follows:

http://i.imgur.com/6HXmjUZ.jpg

I then found a little copper washer so that there was no interference with the crank and the beading and cup.

http://i.imgur.com/W48awsN.jpg

Assembling:

http://i.imgur.com/78H2NYM.jpg

And then all tightened up:

http://i.imgur.com/EJ8Tpy0.jpg

I think the washers might be slightly wide, but they push on only the inner ring of the bearing and give enough space to get a little rage in there to clean it a bit. No pressure washer for this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - great topic btw!

Can someone advise how tight the bearings should be, for external bearings? (Would hate to strip something).

Any suggestions where to get the lowest cost BB tool in JHB? Over the years I have seen quite a lot of variation in prices.....

My roadbike crank starts to creak every 3 months.....I seldom ride in rain, wash sparingly with water.....is this normal?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

seems shimano does not look kindly on this type of behavior. they changed the inner diameter of the bearings on my mtb so that i can't find it at a local bearing supplier (i tried 8 places) thus forcing you into their ever waiting arms

cool thread. if someone mentioned this... apologies for the duplicate

seems shimano does not look kindly on this type of behavior. they changed the inner diameter of the bearings on my mtb so that i can't find it at a local bearing supplier (i tried 8 places) thus forcing you into their ever waiting arms

cool thread. if someone mentioned this... apologies for the duplicate

Get Enduro's retrofit kit for Shimano BBs. Ordered a few for the shop the other day, will put one on my bike as a test case and report back... although I see there have been a few good reports already.

Unless you want to play guinea pig, an which case Rush Sports sells them for not too many ZARs. More expensive than the BMG ones, but they fit.

• 2 years later...

I have tried this before , with BB's after 2014 a BB52 and BB70 one

Both did not work and I don't exactly know why the bearings they come with are 37 x 25 x 6

now the 6805 I bought as mentioned in this thread is 37 x 25 x 7

Now with this small difference  I put the 2 outer plastic caps back and proceed to put back the crank    ...............But Sure as FU*K the crank won't go back in.

Now logic tells me that is the bearing being 1mm thicker   FML

So I buy a new bike it comes with some super old Aerozine BB , and when i strip the BB i try to replace them an the shell is built a little different BUT it works , now the BB was made of super soft alu.      and is cracked and is striped almost beyond recognition.

So I just bought Another BB52 bottom bracket ( probably the millionth one) and put it in my bike all's good and will be for 6-7 months (they only last as long cause they are ***)

But I would still like to be able to rebuild them cause it saves money and it looks like something any monkey should be able to do

SO what I want to ask is there any Hubber here that is still rebuilding their BB even tho its one that was bought in 2014/2015  ??

And if so will you be willing to show me what you do in a few months?? 

Both did not work and I don't exactly know why the bearings they come with are 37 x 25 x 6

Now with this small difference  I put the 2 outer plastic caps back and proceed to put back the crank    ...............But Sure as FU*K the crank won't go back in.

So I buy a new bike it comes with some super old Aerozine BB , and when i strip the BB i try to replace them an the shell is built a little different BUT it works , now the BB was made of super soft alu.      and is cracked and is striped almost beyond recognition.

So I just bought Another BB52 bottom bracket ( probably the millionth one) and put it in my bike all's good and will be for 6-7 months (they only last as long cause they are ***)

But I would still like to be able to rebuild them cause it saves money and it looks like something any monkey should be able to do

SO what I want to ask is there any Hubber here that is still rebuilding their BB even tho its one that was bought in 2014/2015  ??

The plastic inserts that you put back have got a lip on the inside that seat in a small recess on the original bearings. STD bearings dont have the recess so the the lip causes the inside dia to be smaller. use a knife and cut the lip off and it should work.

• 4 months later...

I rebuilt my BB70's yesetrday i'm assuming they from around 2010 its off a Sott Genius MC 50 fitted 6805 bearings only snag was having to persuade the crank shaft to go through the plastic cap otherwise worked like a charm thanks to all contributors.

Archived