H3Deep Rear / H3 Front

H3 Front / H3 Rear Carbon Tubby set

Combo's

JET 6 Front / 9 Rear

JET 6 Front / HED3 Deep Rear (90mm)

JET 6 Front / JET Disc

JET 9 Front / JET Disc

H3 Front / JET Disc

All Wheels are Clincher with Aluminium Brake surfaces. So no need to change the brake pads.

Door to Door postage & collection R450 extra. (48 - 72hr delivery)

Delivery 1 week before the race. (12 day rental in effect)

Wheel sets include:

- Tyres & Tubes

- Cassette (If available)

- Ti Skewers

- Valve extenders

- Double padded wheel bag

Limited stock available

post-52266-0-81671500-1386082355_thumb.jpg

post-52266-0-63818300-1386082364_thumb.jpeg

post-52266-0-76178300-1386082382_thumb.jpg

Edited by OnTheFly Wheel Hire

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh?!

Rent a wheel....weird.

EDIT : and judging by the capslock key being used, it must be Dipslick's latest venture :whistling:

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Rent a wheel....weird.

EDIT : and judging by the capslock key being used, it must be Dipslick's latest venture :whistling:

Wayne, why is it weird??

Makes sense for those who can not afford to buy wheels let alone 2 different types.

It is massively popular in the US and UK for people to rent wheels for race day.

Btw, who is Dipslick?

IMO its a great idea but 3k mmmmm bit on the high side i think

i think a lot of triathletes would love to choose a set of wheels on race day! i know i have got to a race venue and thought damn i should have brought the deep sections or the wind picks up and your deep sections become sails it would be great to be able to swop them out

It's a great idea but I think 3 k for both races is a bit steep

The Wheel rental is more aimed at those who:

1) don't wanna spend R20k - R30k on a set of wheels (cause that's what the high end wheels go for now a days).

2) for those who only plan on doing 2 - 5 big races a year. if you calculate the cost of a rental vs buying at R20k, you can rent for 3 years to make up the same value.

3) for the guys (like @Face Plant) who wish he had a different wheel just for that one day. I raced Trirock durban and thought " a Disc would have been perfect for this day" but i don't wanna buy a disc for 1 race a year.

4) how many wheels are for sale on the hub at less than 50% of what they paid for them. the wheels are only 1 - 2 yrs old. people upgrade or are just not happy with a set. look at the how much you lost. if you rented the wheels. then no risk in loss and also you can have the newest tech available.

So all in all, the guy that ends up buying a set of wheels is the one racing more often than not.

Look at IM SA with 2500 entries. A large % of the field will be first timers, not sure what equipment to buy or just bought a bike with no extra cash to spend on R20k wheels.

There is a demand for it. it's not for everyone, but it is a great opportunity to test different equipment before buying.

IMO its a great idea but 3k mmmmm bit on the high side i think

i think a lot of triathletes would love to choose a set of wheels on race day! i know i have got to a race venue and thought damn i should have brought the deep sections or the wind picks up and your deep sections become sails it would be great to be able to swop them out

Hi

That is exactly why i started the business. I raced TriRock and wished i had different wheels.

As for the price, check out what they rent wheels for in the US, UK and Oz. they rent wheels at R1800 + per race.

So at this price, it is still relatively cheap if you take into account the cost of having stock, and importing them.

Think about it, at R1500 for a set of wheels. is still cheaper than buying them and using them for one or 2 races a year.

I Agree its a Novel Idea, however it would make sense for a 2-3 week rental for an Ironman Athletes to get used to a New disk or Deep sections wheels.

If you had Put even 54mm Deep section wheels on for the First time in the winds of 2012 IMSA 90% of your wheels would have come back damaged from people being blown off the roads.

Im used to my 60mm Deep sections but I even went off the road on a number of occasions in those cross winds.

Don't get me wrong. When I say it's steep I mean it is for my own pocket as I have to multiply everything by two due to my wife also competing. I think it's a brilliant idea and I think it could work. Good luck

The Wheel rental is more aimed at those who:

1) don't wanna spend R20k - R30k on a set of wheels (cause that's what the high end wheels go for now a days).

If you are willing to rent im sure you are ok to buy second hand which are a fraction of that price, lest not forget our friends in the Chinese carbon thread

2) for those who only plan on doing 2 - 5 big races a year. if you calculate the cost of a rental vs buying at R20k, you can rent for 3 years to make up the same value.

5 big races a year would mean they are pretty serious and if they can afford 5 races they could probably afford wheels

3) for the guys (like @Face Plant) who wish he had a different wheel just for that one day. I raced Trirock durban and thought " a Disc would have been perfect for this day" but i don't wanna buy a disc for 1 race a year.

What ever happened to not trying something new/different on race day (or do you get them for more than 24hrs?)

What about the people who have never used a disc - what would be the advantage of using one for the first time in a race?

4) how many wheels are for sale on the hub at less than 50% of what they paid for them. the wheels are only 1 - 2 yrs old. people upgrade or are just not happy with a set. look at the how much you lost. if you rented the wheels. then no risk in loss and also you can have the newest tech available.

These are the 2nd hand wheels I referred to - im confused as you say you don't get much for second hand but saying acquiring wheels is expensive?

So all in all, the guy that ends up buying a set of wheels is the one racing more often than not.

Look at IM SA with 2500 entries. A large % of the field will be first timers, not sure what equipment to buy or just bought a bike with no extra cash to spend on R20k wheels.

Is this a fact? Lets say it is - it is more likely a first timer is just interested in finishing if they are on a budget

There is a demand for it. it's not for everyone, but it is a great opportunity to test different equipment before buying.

This would be the most value imo

Not a bad idea but I think the pricing needs more research - or perhaps consider renting them for 2 weeks to give the person ample time to get used to them.

Wayne, why is it weird??

Makes sense for those who can not afford to buy wheels let alone 2 different types.

It is massively popular in the US and UK for people to rent wheels for race day.

Btw, who is Dipslick?

Personally, i wouldnt trust something rented for an event as serious as IM...but thats just me.

Dipslick is the only person on the hub allowed to use capitals when typing...your original post is all in caps...

Hi

That is exactly why i started the business. I raced TriRock and wished i had different wheels.

As for the price, check out what they rent wheels for in the US, UK and Oz. they rent wheels at R1800 + per race.

So at this price, it is still relatively cheap if you take into account the cost of having stock, and importing them.

Think about it, at R1500 for a set of wheels. is still cheaper than buying them and using them for one or 2 races a year.

That type of money in those currencies is not the same as R1500 or R3000/2 in Randelas.

The Wheel rental cant be the same as the entry? Surely?

Consider the hourly rate if I rented for a Olympic or 70.3 distance

Hi

i guess it will come down to what the individual is willing to pay! if you take the general athlete at IM is a working class citizen i for one feel like you are being screwed on everything race related, from the day you enter to the plane ticket, then the charge for getting your bike there, then the accommodation, then the race memorabilia etc etc i am just not sure if Joe Soap is going to spend R1500 extra to rent a set of wheels. i love the idea of having that option but just not sure about the affordability of the average athlete